• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

Yup and some the magnets just come loose. Thats what happened in pic. It was not a stuck Solenoid. Would be burnt if it was. No solution to the magnet thing. Sorry.

The Viper starting problem is really bad. My 2014 Viper LTX is now on its third starter. First one completely blew out 1950 miles, the second at 2700, and from the moment the third was replaced the sled would kick back, and have starting problems again. Each starter replaced by different dealers. Dealers are getting BS from corporate on whether or not a fix is in the works. I have filed a complaint at Yamaha and worked it up as high as I can. They admit knowing of a cold starting problem but have no solution as of yet and no estimate of a fix. All the crap dealers have been fed by their district sales reps is garbage. Fortunately I'm under warranty and now that I can replicate it, I am going to blow up starter after starter costing them well more than the sled until someone from corporate listens. Terrible business on Yamaha's part. No way would I buy another Viper. Clearly they have a virus of a problem and it will start to replicate in more sleds with time. I've heard the battery thing, gas (only used non ethanol) , cycle it several times and hold the key longer. All have been done and have zero help in a cold start situation. The sled rides great but if it isn't reliable it is garbage and worthless to me. A Pissed Off and Angry Yamaha Viper owner here.

How are you replicating the issue?

How are you replicating the issue?
The sleds engine needs to be cooled down and cold. If it is warm or hot, in most cases starts fine. The outside temp needs to be about 10-15 degrees or below and it will seem to start and then kick back or turn the key and nothing for a few cranks and then kick back. Rarely can you get a problem to replicate at the dealer but although it started fine inside, as soon as it was moved out into cold it had starting problems immediately after fixing and replacing the starter at the dealer. With no fix by Yamaha, I'm forced to ride it until it blows another. Last Sat, the sled started all day just fine with temps in high 20's and when temp dropped to 10 with engine cold after a long stop I cranked it over and over with no response, then it fires and kicked back hard. Sun the next day with temps around zero it kicked back or started hard every time the engine was cold.

The sleds engine needs to be cooled down and cold. If it is warm or hot, in most cases starts fine. The outside temp needs to be about 10-15 degrees or below and it will seem to start and then kick back or turn the key and nothing for a few cranks and then kick back. Rarely can you get a problem to replicate at the dealer but although it started fine inside, as soon as it was moved out into cold it had starting problems immediately after fixing and replacing the starter at the dealer. With no fix by Yamaha, I'm forced to ride it until it blows another. Last Sat, the sled started all day just fine with temps in high 20's and when temp dropped to 10 with engine cold after a long stop I cranked it over and over with no response, then it fires and kicked back hard. Sun the next day with temps around zero it kicked back or started hard every time the engine was cold.
The 15 start map is to lean stock for most sleds. Colder it get leaner it gets. If Yamaha wants to solve the start issue they need to figure out why some are different and why the ECU is not correcting enough for some areas. I suspect altitude also plays a role along with temps. Basically we need a new flash from Yamaha or get a PCV and richen up the low end which is what EVO did also. How a so called Kickback can take out the magnets is another issue. The magnets should not have enough force to come loose from the glue EVER. Sorry for your troubles MrUpNorth. If you want to end it now just get a tune. Alternative is to keep doing what you are doing till Yamaha gives us a better map. Hey at least you know you have a heck of a strong Idler Gear.

The 15 start map is to lean stock for most sleds. Colder it get leaner it gets. If Yamaha wants to solve the start issue they need to figure out why some are different and why the ECU is not correcting enough for some areas. I suspect altitude also plays a role along with temps. Basically we need a new flash from Yamaha or get a PCV and richen up the low end which is what EVO did also. How a so called Kickback can take out the magnets is another issue. The magnets should not have enough force to come loose from the glue EVER. Sorry for your troubles MrUpNorth. If you want to end it now just get a tune. Alternative is to keep doing what you are doing till Yamaha gives us a better map. Hey at least you know you have a heck of a strong Idler Gear.
Not so with Idler gear, both starter repair fixes replaced the gears, idler, key etc. everything has now been replaced twice and I'm destroying the third until they have a fix. See the repair fix attached.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 127
Not so with Idler gear, both starter repair fixes replaced the gears, idler, key etc. everything has now been replaced twice and I'm destroying the third until they have a fix. See the repair fix attached.
Dang you had my hopes up that some of the gears were good. Guess not.

There is also a electrical glitch on these sleds. Mine and others aftermarket gauges pick it up. When cranking the key guage shows a low voltage for just a instant. Does this on all keyed power wires I have tried. Same guage on Phazer does not show the error code. If my guage picks it up how about ECU?

I can 100% confirm that just turning the key right to start and NOT letting the fuel pump cycle .
For my two sleds 2015 ltx with re flash and 2014 xtx with evo stage 4 flash.

I can 100% confirm that just turning the key right to start and NOT letting the fuel pump cycle .
For my two sleds 2015 ltx with re flash and 2014 xtx with evo stage 4 flash.

What are you confirming?

What are you confirming?
That thats the best way to start it I presume? Thats what works for me also. Worked at -35F two years ago even. But if your sled works by priming do that. Important thing is do it in 10 second bursts and dont let off the key until you are absolutely sure engine is running.

That thats the best way to start it I presume? Thats what works for me also. Worked at -35F two years ago even. But if your sled works by priming do that. Important thing is do it in 10 second bursts and dont let off the key until you are absolutely sure engine is running.

I guess that was his thought. Only thing I do different from you Cannondale would be on the first start of the day ( very cold start ) I do let the pump cycle. And yes I make darn sure the sled is running before letting off the key on all starts. I have noticed that the sled is starting very well now that I'm leaving it on a battery maintainer.

Yes and definitely hold key until sure it's 100% running. I still think a weak battery is a big cause to starter problems.

A few years ago my attak starter magnets came unglued and I had to replace the starter with one that was made in China and it is still working. Got it from royaldisibuting in Canada. Not only the vipers having the problem.

image.jpeg image.jpeg I had to remove the magneto cover because another turbo bracket related problem and look what i found! The starter was still good!
There are probably so many sled that are running now whit litle metal piece in the motor..... I have the towel in my hand even if its the best riding sled i ever own! Its a part time job to Own and ride this sled! Lol

Anyone have any tips for getting the starter replacement covered by Yamaha (sled is turbo'd), and in all what should be replaced when doing so?

Went through a second starter @1400KM whilst the first one went out this time last year @ 160KM. Started with a kickback one day (first start after turbo install actually) and maybe 10 starts later it was done. Luckily had broken on me at the gas station where we had parked. I almost feel like buying a second sled just so I have something to ride when the starter goes on this thing, which I feel is going to be an annual occurrence until I get rid of it.

Back