• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

is my reverse actuator broken?

So O'Reilly's kept bringing me back to their version of the Dorman actuator which also has the same round boss as the AutoZone version that does not work (the round boss did not allow the actuator to sit flush against the chain case). I found the Dorman actuator on eBay so I ordered one. Again this one is cheaper than the previous.
eBay also listed this as coming from a 2001-2005 Saturn L300 car. So, I am sure you could get one of these from a junk yard as well.

View attachment 150469
Rockauto has it for $31.79

Rockauto has it for $31.79
No that one has the round boss on the base of the gear housing that does not allow it to sit flush against the chain case. Only the Dorman 742-115 has the gear housing base without the round boss.

Mike P -- that model has the round boss in the gear case housing just below the drive motor. That boss does not allow it to sit flush against the gear case. The Dorman 742-115 does not have this boss and the profile of the gear case where the drive motor mates up to it is slanted back slightly so it should fit flush against the chain case like the OEM actuator does.

Mike P -- that model has the round boss in the gear case housing just below the drive motor. That boss does not allow it to sit flush against the gear case. The Dorman 742-115 does not have this boss and the profile of the gear case where the drive motor mates up to it is slanted back slightly so it should fit flush against the chain case like the OEM actuator does.
I am a bit confused or maybe the photos are incorrect. Maybe the part number is incorrect. The one I found on Amazon is the same brand and part number but apparently the item in the photo is wrong. I will wait and see what you find as a replacement.

I would just reverse the wires so it goes the correct way. Soilder and heat shrink done. Good job BTW
ClutchMaster next time I ride through Tomahawk I am going to stop in and have a beer or two with you. Have the gal in your aviator wear that same top and she can be the bartender!!!!

The actuator from ebay wont get here until Monday. I will be in the Badlands of ND by that time for a mule deer archery hunt and then come back and go directly to northern WI for the deer hunting holiday interrupted by Thanksgiving the following week. I wont get to the new actuator until the first week in December.

I have not forgotten about this topic or your need for information. I had success with the Doorman window regulator actuator. Doorman part number 742-115. Only the Doorman part works, all parts stores that cross reference to their version of the Doorman part don't fit flush against the chain case and the wiring harness would have to be modified if you could get it them to fit flush. All I had to do was reverse the white plastic plate the wiring harness plugs into along with the motor winding housing and then space the actuator back from the face of the chain case with 3 rivet washers at each mounting hole. It works with no wiring harness mods!!!!! I am going to write up a work instruction for this reverse actuator replacement and then have Mr. Sled post it as a Viper sticky.

Last edited:
If you find Doorman part number 742-115 online be sure it is the one with the black gear housing (see ebay pic of version with black gear housing I posted on 11/12/19) . They sell two versions of this part number. The one with the white gear housing has the round boss in it that interferes with the chain case and does not allow it to sit flush to the chain case.

If you find Doorman part number 742-115 online be sure it is the one with the black gear housing (see ebay pic of version with black gear housing I posted on 11/12/19) . They sell two versions of this part number. The one with the white gear housing has the round boss in it that interferes with the chain case and does not allow it to sit flush to the chain case.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Wind...288823&hash=item54723090bc:g:XbMAAOSwcTlbnplp
Strange that the units would have the same part numbers but have different fitment. Thanks for the research.

Ok guys, here is the write up you have been waiting for. I replaced my broken reverse actuator for $39.95 using this actuator and these instructions.
Cannondale - can you as a moderator post this in the SR Viper Talk Sticky section?

Attachments

• Reverse Actuator Replacment with Dorman Part Number 742-115.docx
    581.8 KB · Views: 10,050
Last edited:
Ok guys, here is the write up you have been waiting for. I replaced my broken reverse actuator for $39.95 using this actuator and these instructions.
Cannondale - can you as a moderator post this in the SR Viper Talk Sticky section?
Wow, that is very nice. Thanks for the excellent write up!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a question of whether your reverse actuator will fail, the question is when it will fail, so for $40, everyone should pick one of the actuators up to have on hand. Thanks for all the work you did chasing this down.

I posted this in FAQ. I would suggest putting this file in first post first page. Thanks for the research. Its awesome!

Back