• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

is my reverse actuator broken?

The bolt holes in the Dorman actuator are slightly larger than the OEM actuator so it may rock somewhat if not tightened down fully.

Last edited:

In the 3500 miles my 2014 Viper has on it I've never had a problem with the reverse actuator. I've actually taken it out sucked out the oil putting oil back in and put it back together a couple of times and not had any issues. Today I went to change oil in the case once again and after taking the actuator off I found a small black plastic cap that look like it had broken off the bottom of the actuator. I also found a small rubber ring with a stainless steel pin in it that had a flat on one end. I've attached a picture (pic didn't come through with this post, look two posts below for pic) of what I'm talking about. Now when I put the sled back together it will initially go into reverse but will not go back into forward. If I remove the actuator from the case, start the sled and then hit the reverse button, the actuator does move into forward and reverse but when I put it back on the sled with the preload, it will go into reverse but won't go back into forward . What are your thoughts?

(See attached work instruction for the actuator I replaced the OEM actuator with)
Your the man for this write up! I am dealing with when I push my reverse button, nothing engages. No beep, no movement on the actuator, nada. Worked before I bought the sled from a dealer, the serviced it before I hauled it off and as soon as I get home...nothing and still nothing. I took it off and no teeth are stripped...chased wire and unplugged everything. It’s like it’s stuck in forward and won’t accuate out. Think I need the replacement like you did here? Thanks again! New to Yamaha world, left those cats in the litter box, kinda... haha

sorry I did not get your post until this morning. Plug the actuator back in and leave it off the chain case. Start your sled and then push the reverse button to see if it moves. When you shut the sled off it should also rotate in the direction that would shift it into forward. It does this so that the next time the sled is started it is in forward. if it actuates then your problem is in the chain case. Put the yellowish/gold color coupler back into the chain case and raise the track off the ground. Use a channel lock to try to turn it both clockwise and counter-clockwise. if it does not move then there is something bound up in the chain case which will cause you to have to open it up. Many things can go wrong in the case to make it bind. If you have to take the cover of the case off, dont take the oil tank cover off the chain case cover. Take them off as one assembly.

Last edited:
sorry I did not get your post until this morning. Plug the actuator back in and leave it off the chain case. Start your sled and then push the reverse button to see if it moves. When you shut the sled off it should also rotate in the direction that would shift it into forward. It does this so that the next time the sled is started it is in forward. if it actuates then your problem is in the chain case. Put the yellowish/gold color coupler back into the chain case and raise the track off the ground. Use a channel lock to try to turn it both clockwise and counter-clockwise. if it does not move then there is something bound up in the chain case which will cause you to have to open it up. Many things can go wrong in the case to make it bind. If you have to take the cover of the case off, dont take the oil tank cover off the chain case cover. Take them off as one assembly.
Right on, I’ll dig in tonight and see what I can figure out. I do hope it’s not in the case! Pretty frustrating when it’s all set before a dealer service and comes back that way.

If the actuator does not activate try checking the fuses before you do anything with the case. For some reason I have had fuses on both my old Nytro and now on my Viper blow for no apparent reason.

If the actuator does not activate try checking the fuses before you do anything with the case. For some reason I have had fuses on both my old Nytro and now on my Viper blow for no apparent reason.
Well I pulled the actuator out and with the engine running bumped the reverse button multiple times, no motion in the actuator...reinstalled
Pulled all applicable fuse and checked the rest, all good. Turned the sled back on and pushed reverse, boom beeping and engaged!? Alright, but then I kill it, and restart, won’t engage again and the actuator won’t move again....nifty huh. Haha
Moved the brass/gold coupling piece with vice grips, I can turn it clockwise easy , but not counterclockwise beyond where It feels like I’m forcing hard. That normal? Or should counterclockwise take me to reverse ?

Well I pulled the actuator out and with the engine running bumped the reverse button multiple times, no motion in the actuator...reinstalled
Pulled all applicable fuse and checked the rest, all good. Turned the sled back on and pushed reverse, boom beeping and engaged!? Alright, but then I kill it, and restart, won’t engage again and the actuator won’t move again....nifty huh. Haha
Moved the brass/gold coupling piece with vice grips, I can turn it clockwise easy , but not counterclockwise beyond where It feels like I’m forcing hard. That normal? Or should counterclockwise take me to reverse ?

I don't think the problem is in the chaincase. It's normal for the gears to not engage every time without the engine running. Try rotating the coupling while also slowly rotating the jackshaft. I think it will engage with no issues. It looks to me that the intermittent problem is electrical. It still could be the actuator. You should use a test light on the connector to the actuator and check for power to it as you are pressing the forward/reverse button with the key on. If you have power at the connector at the appropriate terminals, then the actuator is at fault.
Hope this helps.

My actuator gave me problems. I ended up replacing it, and all was good again. The motor was probally just wore out.
Also make sure your belt deflection is correct, too tight and that will give you shift issues

I have to believe the issue is with the actuator and not the chain case. I would buy the one in my write up and throw it in. Remember to rotate the driver motor on the new actuator 180 degrees. When you do you have to pull it up slightly so the brushes inside might pull loose out of the windings. Make sure you have the brushes in the motor positioned correctly before you push the housing back down to its base or you could damage them or the windings.

Counterclockwise is forward. Try lightly tapping on the actuator when you push the button. If it works there’s probably some corrosion in it. I agree that it’s most likely not the chain case but the actuator.

I had an intermittent actuator and when I took it apart I found a broken magnet on the motor. It wasn't glued properly from day one.

I have to believe the issue is with the actuator and not the chain case. I would buy the one in my write up and throw it in. Remember to rotate the driver motor on the new actuator 180 degrees. When you do you have to pull it up slightly so the brushes inside might pull loose out of the windings. Make sure you have the brushes in the motor positioned correctly before you push the housing back down to its base or you could damage them or the windings.
I agree with you. It’s so spotty for reverse to engage, usually when I have torn it all down and start up, it will engage the once, then nothing. That actuator must be faulty. I think I will do just as you suggest and swap out for the nifty cheaper unit you found, well done. A greenhorn like me sure appreciates folks like you.
Another note, northern Maine snow is building quick and boy doesn’t this turbo viper pull. I’m happy as long as it moves forward, reverse is a luxury haha

I have an 2009 Arctic Cat Z1 that uses the same reverse actuator. First one actuator replaced under warranty. Second one also under warranty the next season.
Out of warranty now so Googled "Arctic Cat reverse actuator". Found YouTube video on how to clean and fix reverse actuator. Took the one off the A/C and pulled it apart. It was easy to spot why it had stopped working. The commentator on the motor where the brushes rub had built up with a black residue from the brushes. Cleaned the residue off the commentator cleaned the brushes and put it back together. Works just fine.
Just something I will do when I change chiancase or DD oil in the case of the A/C.
Unless there is an issue with the winding in the actuator motor I'm guessing this is a simple fix to most CCU reverse issues.

Farmer Jack

Last edited:

Back