• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

is my reverse actuator broken?

Mills

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'14 Viper RTX, '06 Apex, '99 SX 600, '74 TL433F, '79 Trail Fire
In the 3500 miles my 2014 Viper has on it I've never had a problem with the reverse actuator. I've actually taken it out sucked out the oil putting oil back in and put it back together a couple of times and not had any issues. Today I went to change oil in the case once again and after taking the actuator off I found a small black plastic cap that look like it had broken off the bottom of the actuator. I also found a small rubber ring with a stainless steel pin in it that had a flat on one end. I've attached a picture (pic didn't come through with this post, look two posts below for pic) of what I'm talking about. Now when I put the sled back together it will initially go into reverse but will not go back into forward. If I remove the actuator from the case, start the sled and then hit the reverse button, the actuator does move into forward and reverse but when I put it back on the sled with the preload, it will go into reverse but won't go back into forward . What are your thoughts?

(See attached work instruction for the actuator I replaced the OEM actuator with)

Attachments

• Reverse Actuator Replacment with Dorman Part Number 742-115.docx
    581.8 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:

My guess is that you have reverse issues ... I know ... what a genius yer thinking. There is a thread on this in the Viper FAQs and a search will yield at least a half dozen helpful threads.

I guess my picture did not come through the first time. Here is the pic of what is broken
Viper Actuator.jpg

Possibly Bushing shot on top gear in chain case. Time to open it up and disassemble to inspect.

1nc2000 -- I can easily shift it into reverse and forward manually using the gear extension and a pliers so I am not sure that there is anything in the case that is bad. The broken part is on the actuator itself per the pic I attached. Can you explain what the issue with the bushing in the case is and how it would effect the actuators ability to not shift back into forward?
Thanks,

One other thing I noticed. With the actuator off the case it does work in both forward and reverse directions with the reverse button while the sled is running like it should but, when I shut the sled off, it rotates in the opposite direction from the previous cycle by itself. Is this and issue with the actuator also?

So after doing more research the actuator turning when I shut the sled off is supposed to happen so that is not the issue. I also found a thread about the internal plastic ring gear going bad and being able to re-clock it 120-180 degrees so I am going to look at that next. I still have a question about the case of the actuator being broken like shown in the picture and what the small SST pin is with the rubber ring around it. I am going to take the actuator to the local dealer this afternoon after work and have them look it over and test it.

1nc2000 -- I can easily shift it into reverse and forward manually using the gear extension and a pliers so I am not sure that there is anything in the case that is bad. The broken part is on the actuator itself per the pic I attached. Can you explain what the issue with the bushing in the case is and how it would effect the actuators ability to not shift back into forward?
Thanks,

I have the same issue of not shifting into fwd on my sidewinder. Reverse actuator was replaced with new and still won't shift into fwd with actuator. I can shift it manually with the actuator off the chain case. Gear was on back order so I finished out the season with no reverse.

I have the same issue of not shifting into fwd on my sidewinder. Reverse actuator was replaced with new and still won't shift into fwd with actuator. I can shift it manually with the actuator off the chain case. Gear was on back order so I finished out the season with no reverse.
Did you find the root cause? You mentioned a gear on back order, which gear? Tell me this is not a problem internal to the chain case!!!!!!

that is what I thought. What is the small SST pin with the rubber grommet around it then? that was sitting in the boss that runs along the bottom of the actuator housing on the case.
Also, someone mentioned on T.Y. 4-stroke that this actuator is the same as used on a Saturn car and that the car actuator is WAY cheaper than the one from Yamaha. Does anyone know what the Saturn part number is?

Most times this is caused by not clocking it close enough on install and forcing it too far to get screws to line up. That worm gear is spring loaded but can only move so far. Always manually shift into forward (counterclockwise) then install extension and detent without disturbing full forward engagement.

Yea both those pieces are from the actuator. The pin part with the pin in it is what the gear assembly pushes against. Like a bearing. If you have been installing it correctly the other cause of this could be if it lost home from the magnets on shift fork being so full of crud the sensor didn't stop the actuator in time. You really need to take cover off case and inspect and clean it properly. Sucking it out is not enough at least with any more than 1500 mi on it.

Back