• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kingers BOOSTED garage....

That sounds fun maim! I never got into the vintage sleds although I can appreciate the idea! I am loving the idea that my 'scrapped' sled when done will be a 240hp mogul mashing machine LOL Can't wait to feel the instant snap of the SC again! I will be able to compare directly to a 280hp winder now and excited to get seat to seat time on the same trip and same conditions. If I can finally get over my love of the 4cyl, and be convinced the SW has what it takes, I'm going to go nuts on modding it next year. Until then its on probation LOL. I'll be back with some updates in a couple of days!

1E73671E-E71B-4C00-9AD3-77A00DA08F46.jpeg
76BD38BA-097B-4440-A641-A279B0825AA7.jpeg
Made good progress fixing up my repurposed gauges and got some painting done thanks to my dad! He is 100 miles away and helping paint match the mix of my two sleds. One red and some white marble. All going to a black and silver theme like the original GT but a little custom :)

Also found my hot wire grip series to parallel wiring PnP harness. Hot hands!!

Made a ton more progress and got it out for a test drive. It drove decent and still cat walks like a baller! It did have some funny noises I didn’t like but went away at the end of the ride. We leave tomorrow and Dad will be driving it! Well install the body when I pick him up. Ill get more pictures then.

475BC28D-824E-489C-89D6-8BB3A73F9D4D.jpeg
CB1FA813-F68D-4B37-9368-ACF7CA716470.jpeg
BF46431C-AA88-44D0-A0AF-618643845E47.jpeg
4480E540-00C7-4B2C-B2BF-4F7B1F29191B.jpeg

Sled looks great, I'm a big fan of the sleeper look. Speak softly and carry a big stick! :Rockon:

Well not good results with a oil leak and me screwing up the chaincase being in a rush. So it made it a mile before I had to park. After a long debacle on finding said oil leak documented in the bad oil leak thread in the apex section I figured out the motor needed to be pulled to replace a $2 O ring.

Im hoping to get it out tonight!! Started last night. more to come!
85FECB13-1C6F-4009-9925-8BAFF396D448.jpeg

Just a follow up Big papa is down for the count this year. Thread posted here:

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/bad-oil-leak.159396/

I have NO clue where the oil is coming from. It has to be a cracked block or something. I have a lead on a built engine and will probably yank this in the summer months and start the 4th iteration of this sled. The winder is hopeless for me and I'm going to use this apex as the base for my build but I will hate to even call it a apex when I'm done. More to come in the summer!

Winder will be going back to stock and sold with a 4 year YES warranty. Back to the 4cyl I go!

Just a update in the garage. I am finalizing my build for my 06 apex for what the 4th iteration? LOL I wanted to do this in 1 large build but there is so much unknown I'm going to break it apart over 2 years so I can hopefully ride this year.

Sidewinder is a dud - Its 'fixed again' but has almost $8k in parts from Yamaha so very little warranty left. No one wants a lemon so it will stay with me and I will try to limp it along and keep it going as best I can. This will be a backup.

Apex! So for this build I wanted to make in my opinion the ultimate Apex build taking what I love and don't love on the apex and trying to create a sled that is my version of a perfect sled.

Phase 1: To be complete before Jan
New built motor from Ulmer racing! Its going to be a 8.94 CR motor with JE pistons 10:1 with a .051 shim, and Carillo rods, new Nikasil, diamond honed perfection. I debated head work, gear reduction, stroker, and it just didn't make sense. THAT said I will be buying a new complete motor, once my existing is out I need to find that oil leak and its POSSIBLE I may quietly build an all out motor on the side in a year or so. Or I will swap it into a RZR or something lol.

TWIN charged! Yup I have made mention of this but I'm doing it. MPI stage 1 at 10-11 psi WITH a impulse Race 2860R turbo FEEDING it, to make around 23 psi of compound boost. I got to 23 psi as it appears to be the limit for 91 octane + 32 oz of Torco. Should make just under 400hp and I will build in torco storage in the tunnel. I plan to take more weight off the sled to help compensate for the added weight and I will for sure be less then a stock apex by at least 50lbs when done so this is not a lightweight build but there will be no penalty for the added weight of two blowers. I wanted the low end snap and responsiveness of the MPI making 4 psi of boost from clutch engagement but the long legs of the turbo at full sing across a lake. The exhaust I had on the turbo with the 6 psi 3" cut out was also amazingly lightweight and sounded unruly at WOT but super quiet in towns and past DNR best of all worlds here! I'll run the MPI IC and hope it holds up (its half the weight of a CPR IC). The turbo will blow into the inlet of the MPI blower.

Motec Engine management! I have had this sitting on the shelf for years, as the sidewinder distracted me from using it. I will be finally playing with a real ECU for this beast. I am going to use the knock control function to pull wastegate signal and bleed off boost in real time, I will be able to increase timing in the mid range to help with the soft CR, pull timing or boost on a loooong lake pull, so many safety features, set up launch control, closed loop fueling from Wideband AFR, closed loop boost control, the list is endless. Hoping to be able to have sled run on 87 IF NEEDED and it will automatically de-tune itself to save the motor. We will test this on Ulmer Dyno once its done.

YRSS shocks - I purchased a complete set of Yamaha Reaction Suspension System shocks that came on the 2018s. I am excited to try them with NO sway bar. Any shock tuners out there (@cannondale27 you listening?) that could help me with the valving or anything please chime in. There are 2 reasons why I don't want to run a sway bar. 1. That the fully independent suspension seems to work infinitely better for bump absorption as I have rode with it disconnected before. You just can't take an aggressive corner with it. 2. I won't be able to run a sway bar in Phase 2 ;)

Ski Doo XP trail tank - 13.5 gallons is needed on this baby, plus the seat and storage integrates with it and makes the rear tunnel look nice, also weighs less then a stock tank/seat/muffler FULL of fuel compared to a empty stock one. I will need a external fuel pump and some other bits to make this work but I will adapt this to stock tunnel for now in prep for Phase 2 ;)

ZX2 rear - Staying with what works here for this year, prepping for Phase 2 ;)

Aesthetics - Staying "BIG PAPA" look for this year LOL. Again prepping for phase 2 ;)

That should get me on the trail, and dyno room. I want to validate I can put 1000-2000 miles on this set up reliably this winter testing out the Twin charge plumbing, fuel injectors, Motec, etc etc Lots to fail here so I want to make sure its solid.

What's Phase 2 then you ask....Lets get phase 1 done first. :letsnow:

Of course I am listening! Wouldn’t miss this build for anything. Be glad to help with those shocks. Should work awesome!

HAHA thank you sir! Do you want me to send you the shocks to take a peek at? They are all connected to the reservoir and filled with fluid ready to install. Wondering if I should play with the valving first knowing I wont run a sway bar OR just try it this year first.

Here is thread with pictures:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/yrss-going-on-my-apex.160007/

HAHA thank you sir! Do you want me to send you the shocks to take a peek at? They are all connected to the reservoir and filled with fluid ready to install. Wondering if I should play with the valving first knowing I wont run a sway bar OR just try it this year first.

Here is thread with pictures:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/yrss-going-on-my-apex.160007/
Try them I am not sure how much adjustment is on them. I know on the air shocks going up about 20# gives about same feel as having the swaybar. So it might be a spring change needed more so than Valving.

Steve, I guess I should have asked about you being able to refresh/revalve the YRSS last year when you refreshed the rear Fox Float shock on my 18 Apex XTX. I suspect they are due for refresh at 6000 miles but with them not being a traditional shock (ie. individual shocks vs. connected shocks), I wasn't sure who would be able to do them. Nice to know you can. Now, I just need to get everything removed and shipped to you before you get too swamped.

Kinger, can't wait to follow your build as well as see what you have in store for phase 2.

Back