• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Knockout kit

Weird, I know its been since last season but I do not remember my clutch getting louder under load.

Made a couple hard pulls today. Clutch noise was evident when I was finished.
Let it cool down. Noise is gone.
Yes I have it on video. But can't convert it to YouTube in order to put it here.
I wondering if the grease is heating up and getting more "fluid" which results in less cushioning effect. Once it cools off a bit, the grease thickens and quiets things down again. IF that is true, a different grease might solve that issue.

Earthling, how did your knockout kit install go? Be honest.....
You don't have to answer that....lol.

Last edited:
Earthling, how did your knockout kit install go? Be honest.....
You don't have to answer that....lol.

Its sitting on the table beside the sled. Thats why I said I haven't heard the sled start since last season. Its not at the top of my list with so little snow in the forecast and so many other projects.

I do know that as soon as the clutch engages, it gets much more quiet, always has as whatever slop is in there gets tight under load.

I watched your video a few more times. It sounds to me like something else is wrong. The clutch is quiet(er) when idling, that should be peak harmonic noise since it will have the most play in the splines (no load on clutch). As soon as you put a load on it, it gets much louder.

Last edited:
Its sitting on the table beside the sled. Thats why I said I haven't heard the sled start since last season. Its not at the top of my list with so little snow in the forecast and so many other projects.

I do know that as soon as the clutch engages, it gets much more quiet, always has as whatever slop is in there gets tight under load.

I watched your video a few more times. It sounds to me like something else is wrong. The clutch is quiet(er) when idling, that should be peak harmonic noise since it will have the most play in the splines (no load on clutch). As soon as you put a load on it, it gets much louder.
Okay so do you want me to send you another video from right this minute.
How do you want to do this?
Skip it. Install it, use the provided grease and enjoy the ride. Lol.
Cuz teaching you something ain't my responsibility
However I do know approximately 30 people on that one Facebook group heard what I heard, but again I was trying to stay neutral as you'll probably agree. Don't like to force any issues or get someone to believe anything else than the truth

However I do know approximately 30 people on that one Facebook group heard what I heard, but again I was trying to stay neutral as you'll probably agree. Don't like to force any issues or get someone to believe anything else than the truth

Don't take it personally, I, and others on that FB thread are just telling you what we heard in your own video. Its just data, either it matters to you or it doesn't.

I watched your video as well, doesnt sound like the normal yamaha clutch rattle, sounds like something else is wrong with the clutch....

I’d pull it back apart and see what’s going on .

Ill post a new vid over there. All I can hear is my muffler.
Note: Earlier in this thread knappattack heard clutch noise come back @ 5,000rpms. And no 1 here responded to it. Might have to go back a few pages. And I'm sure He didn't get a chance to field test it, And probably tested it in his shop. Lack of snow being The main problem

NYTurbo, Richard Hodgins, I pulled the clutch apart (excluding spider) sometime over the summer. Replaced one noticeably bad roller. And yes, with the exploding Yamaha primaries I didn't want to be a victim and checked for cracks. I didn't see anything unusually worn. Also I've been dismissing the yamaha clutch noise for the last seven seasons. Lol. You know how that goes.
I suppose we'll all just see how this pans out, as it doesn't effect me one way of the other.
Ran sled for 5 to 8 minutes. Nothing to hear. With the exception of the 3-in super quiet.

Last edited:
What gets me is the adapt clutch cat has on the same engine is quiet.
I have the Adapt clutch.... And it's quiet.. I think there might be something with the overall width of the assembly... As the ADAPT is a narrow design and the rotating mass is most likely positioned closer to the crank producing less oscillation... My 2¢

These engines have vibes around the 5000RPM mark, even loaded. It's why I like to keep the clutch spider tight, because it drives me bezerk listening to that going through a bush.

I sent this pm to earthling, but don't mind at all, for everyone to read.......
"I'm not taking anything personal.
Just saying to others "hey, I'm not 100% on this product, based on my findings"
It may just create awareness and keep people from spending money they don't have, until it's proven.
Part of being human is watching each other's back.
Then at the end of the day I get you and the other member claiming I have clutch issues. And everything needs to come apart. Lol.
Ok....not. Basically dismissing my findings.
So I've come to the conclusion, and at the end of the day, to let the chips fall where they may.
Besides it's not going to cause damage. Just a little noise that we've been dealing with for the last seven seasons."

I appreciate y'all's concerns.

Note: If I'm getting excessive clutch noise due to warn parts in my clutch, consider that when you're installing it in other's sled. Quit possibly everything needs to be perfect for it to work?!?!

Last edited:

Back