• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Major Engine Failure!

Sounds reasonable. Good luck with the sled. You should have heard some not-so-good noises I would think by now if any damage was done. :Rockon:

Working for a dealership(unfortunatley not a yammi one) Your dealer is not helping you workth a crap any good dealer would be able to get this at least part taken care of by yamaha. Its all about them making a phone call and trust me ext warranties make it a ton easier and again is profit for a bad dealer bc they will not get your issues covered and just makes excuses on you ride to hard blah blah blah, its all in your dealer and if your machine were at my shop i would want them to cover your motor so i could get the labor hours and make them pay for it. which makes no sense to me why more dealers dont fight for the warranties its just free money to the dealer

Hope all goes well for you the rest of the year

Bill

Snoxracer242 said:
The first oil change was for the break-in oil at 500 miles, then changed it at the end of the season. Then I had about 1000 miles on the oil and we were headed up north for a week long trip so I was going thru the machine and thought I'd change it. Then I hit around the 3000 mile make and wanted to switch to synthetic oil, plus we were headed out to Bear Lodge in the big horns, late last spring. And then the oil pump chain broke at 3426 miles.

So yeah I have always kept good oil in and overkilled on the changes. But knowing that I really wasn't going to update my sled for many years, I wanted take the best care that I could. Oil is cheap insurance in most cases, just not this one.

In my dirt bike I will change the oil after every couple rides, 4 hours or so, and that is a 05- CRF450 will alot of time on and has never had to even have a valve adjustment done to it like most of them need.

Thanks again guys for all the replys, I have a little over 100 miles on the motor since I put the chain in, and still running good. So I'd think that if I had any problems coming, I'd be hearing motor noises by now. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Dustin

I had an old chemistry teacher that always said "An Ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of Cure". It took me quite a few trials and tribulation to realize the strength in this words. 1) I would have a very difficult time just throwing another oil pump chain in without knowing exactly why the chain failed, however, you are passed that point so.... 2) I believe the prudent thing to do is set a comfortable deadline for a chain inspection. It would really suck to have to murphy show up again when its -20 in BFE. On another quick note, if your passed ?? hours on your CRF450, you may be on borrowed time. For example, it was 20 hours on my CR250F, "Top End Inspection Due," Piston and Ring replace. The 250 was a short skirt piston and after about 20 hours of ride time the piston/cylinder clearance was enough to allow the piston to rock and damage the cases. (just FYI)

Ray......................

My 450 has so much time on it, it could blow up today and that thing wouldn't owe me a thing. (NYTRO a differnet story) I ride it on the ice in the winter and motocross it in the summer, that thing has been rock solid! It's a little down on power but still ticks like a clock.

Yeah i could of spent more time figuring out as to why the chain failed, and I am pretty sure that it failed because a bad gear? Maybe? But being that my DEALER nor YAMAHA could really give a DARN, I said F-it, throw this thing back together, hope the chain lasts another 3000 miles and so long 08 Nytro. Hello new Ski.......,hmm...., Pol..... no.... new lighter, faster, more reliable NYTRO!!!!!

Hey Jamie , I towed an XRS off Raven Lake Saturday, 2 days old , pto piston down .

The sled was new Thursday , and it spent Friday at the Old MILL Marina, (skidoo dealer) , would't run ,they said it had a plugged injector !

Back