• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

Ok, here is the battery report....(reminder I have the Ballistic evo2 8 cell, the small one)

Day 1- sled had been sitting for two weeks....over night temps were in mid teens... When we went to start it, it was 18f (-8 c)....I had to turn it over three times, and it started on third try.....no issues at all al day...

Day 2- again in mid to low teens overnight, took two cranks to get it to start, no issues at all all day

Day 3- same temps....decided to try my little battery heater button...turned it on for 3-4 minutes while I got stuff set up packed on sled etc.started right up first turn, not even a blink of hesitation....for those not following full thread, my friends installed a button, connected to the battery, that also has a sleeve with a pocket for a grip heater....

I am fully convinced this is the ticket, and FULLY believe the weight savings is worth it!!!!

Ok, here is the battery report....(reminder I have the Ballistic evo2 8 cell, the small one)

Day 1- sled had been sitting for two weeks....over night temps were in mid teens... When we went to start it, it was 18f (-8 c)....I had to turn it over three times, and it started on third try.....no issues at all al day...

Day 2- again in mid to low teens overnight, took two cranks to get it to start, no issues at all all day

Day 3- same temps....decided to try my little battery heater button...turned it on for 3-4 minutes while I got stuff set up packed on sled etc.started right up first turn, not even a blink of hesitation....for those not following full thread, my friends installed a button, connected to the battery, that also has a sleeve with a pocket for a grip heater....

I am fully convinced this is the ticket, and FULLY believe the weight savings is worth it!!!!

Sounds good mtdream! Thanks for the report.

Im in the mountains sledding on day 5 of 10 ;)!

Will get my ballistic installed once i get home again, it should be laying in the post office by now.

Went ice fishing on Sunday and it was about 10F. It sat for about 3 hours because I was ice drinking. I jumped on it and she did not wanna start, but after 10 seconds of cranking it did.

12F and sat out side in single digits and hand warmer heaters needed to be on for around 10 minutes.

Gotta trace back the lines to figure out which is high and low. Then I will keep better track, but everything seems good.

Update.....

Sled sat all week in trailer....overnight temps were 0 and when I went to start it this morning was 5 degrees/-15 c......turned on the battery heater....for 3-4 minutes....started right up, no issues....

No issues all day...

It would be interesting to see what the amp draw for the starter is on your cat versus a nytro. I wonder if the cat is running lower compression where it is a turbo motor, but the Nytro compression is fairly low also isn't it?

Cat is 9 or 9.5 to 1 I believe. FX Nytro is 11 to 1 compression ratio.

How do they get away with running regular fuel if they are really pushing that much compression? That seems like a lot to be able to do that. If those numbers are correct it would assume that the Cat is drawing less amps.

I don't know why I have never thought to hook my Nytro up to the scope at work with an amp probe and see what kind of amps the Nytro pulls. Probably won't see too many cold days to really see what it needs when cold.

hugger70mtnmax said:
How do they get away with running regular fuel if they are really pushing that much compression? That seems like a lot to be able to do that. If those numbers are correct it would assume that the Cat is drawing less amps.

I don't know why I have never thought to hook my Nytro up to the scope at work with an amp probe and see what kind of amps the Nytro pulls. Probably won't see too many cold days to really see what it needs when cold.

Good combustion chamber design and computer controlled ignition timing allows them to run higher compression now days.
We are seeing the same with newer cars as well, 11 to 1 compression ratios and still able to run regular fuel ;)!

I had the sled on the trailer for a week or better, outside with temps in the low 20s to mid 30s. Hit the key to pull it in the garage, 5 sec of cranking and it started right up.. I know, not that cold, but it was out side and stone cold before I tried it. I still won't leave home without my ytz7 just in case tho... Cause the time I don't, I'll need it!

Defiantly getting on for my sled, great results and I'm glad the handwarmer Idea worked well. I found some charts on LiFePo4 chemistry batteries like this and they only have ~70% of there cranking power @ 32*f /0*cand it drops to only ~40% at 14*f /-10*c hence the reason for warming it up. And to think this is the type of battery that is going into newer Hybrid/Electric cars, the will be a bit SLOW for the first few minutes on those cold mornings.

Also some other notes for this type of Li Ion battery, DO NOT let the sitting voltage drop below 8v, it KILLS the battery. It basically has no chance of recovery, where as sometime a lead acid battery will recovery and still be usable (at a reduced capacity). If you leave the key on an drain the battery over night its done, you just killed a 150$ battery.The nominal Charge is 12.8v and your charging system HAS to put out 14.4v to fully charge the battery 100% where as you can full charge a lead acid battery with as little as 13v. what I'm surprised at is that they don't put a low voltage cutoff inside these batteries that effectively shuts the battery off to protect the battery, its not expensive to do.

blueironranger said:
Defiantly getting on for my sled, great results and I'm glad the handwarmer Idea worked well. I found some charts on LiFePo4 chemistry batteries like this and they only have ~70% of there cranking power @ 32*f /0*cand it drops to only ~40% at 14*f /-10*c hence the reason for warming it up. And to think this is the type of battery that is going into newer Hybrid/Electric cars, the will be a bit SLOW for the first few minutes on those cold mornings.

Also some other notes for this type of Li Ion battery, DO NOT let the sitting voltage drop below 8v, it KILLS the battery. It basically has no chance of recovery, where as sometime a lead acid battery will recovery and still be usable (at a reduced capacity). If you leave the key on an drain the battery over night its done, you just killed a 150$ battery.The nominal Charge is 12.8v and your charging system HAS to put out 14.4v to fully charge the battery 100% where as you can full charge a lead acid battery with as little as 13v. what I'm surprised at is that they don't put a low voltage cutoff inside these batteries that effectively shuts the battery off to protect the battery, its not expensive to do.

As in most things sledding or power sports related, the tech development is just starting to happen...I.e. fuel injection is less than a decade (widespread use) in sleds....closed loop fuel systems (mass air flow sensors) is just now being worked on, whereas cars has been using for 20 years+

I just finished installing my 12 cell ballistic battery.

I'll be in the mountains for 10 days, starting this friday, so I should be able to test it in different temperatures to see how it works.

After installing the battery I started her up in the garage.

- I have never heard a nytro engine turn over that fast ;)!

Here is a pic of where mine is installed...mine is the 8 cell...small one...

Here is the switch....

bbb347b3.jpg

Here is a pic of the little battery bag...which contains a left over grip heater, wired to the battery through the switch...the bag is just to keep things in place...

5cd6dac3.jpg

Here is a bag opened up....

3c3921b1.jpg

Have had the sled left for a week, temps at 0 over night, started sled on third try (without the switch/heater turned on) without an issue...Used the heater once, switched it on, put stuff in packs got ready for trip...(no more than 2-3 minutes later) sled started right up, not even a hesitation with the start up...

Dont overthink this, but also dont try and apply lead acid battery logic to it...completely different stuff...but WELL worth the savings...

And, here is the result...."Money Shot"

MoneyShot-1.jpg

Back