• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters

I want my old flash back, can it be done ?

My understanding is that once it's flashed you can't go back to previous versions. I don't think it's impossible but Yamaha doesn't support it.

This is my last Yamaha.
Although I pulled my hair for a while to..... I’d still buy another yamicat. I’ve owned a decent number of different brands over the years and all had there quirks. I was a Ski Doo tech for a few years back in the mid ‘90’s..... I was loyal to them but I also seen their downfalls. These days, the quality vs price is like everything else we purchase whether it be our vehicles or a wash machine..... you don’t get what you pay for anymore. If I’m going to continue in the sport, I go in knowing this so I choose the one that fits me the best and works the best for my style of riding.

Anyone skip the 2nd flash in 2017 and get the latest? Picked up a ZR7000 used in Nov, just ran it over the weekend, has the first and the 2018 flash.

1) Starting is only ok, have to touch the throttle and it fires up.

2) Speedo Error is massive - like the problem after the 2nd cal had (s2017-006).

I ride a 2014 xf7000, I went from original to current.
Starting was fine, my O2 sensor went. I was getting a p0130 code so easiest solution was to get flash done. This was two weeks ago, no issues since.

I have a 2015 XF7000 and I’ve done all the flashes, including the most current. I’ve always kept my battery very fresh, terminals cleaned, and I’ve never had any starting issues. The flash I got in 2017 corrected the speedo issue. I would do the latest flash.

Ok mine is a 2016 and I got it flashed 2 years ago so I think it’s the 18 flash cold starts are fine but hot starts are awful. Won’t go if I don’t crack the throttle . Seems worse on warm days . Can take several tries and sometimes back fires really bad, it’s to the point I’m nervous to shut it off in the woods, afraid it might not start at all . Did they do a 2020 flash to fix this issue????? Very frustrating. Meanwhile the 15. Year old Vector with carbs !! Starts instantly when hot

Ok mine is a 2016 and I got it flashed 2 years ago so I think it’s the 18 flash cold starts are fine but hot starts are awful. Won’t go if I don’t crack the throttle . Seems worse on warm days . Can take several tries and sometimes back fires really bad, it’s to the point I’m nervous to shut it off in the woods, afraid it might not start at all . Did they do a 2020 flash to fix this issue????? Very frustrating. Meanwhile the 15. Year old Vector with carbs !! Starts instantly when hot

Mine starts much better warm if you turn the key and immediately start it. Don’t let the fuel pump run and then turn the key, just immediately start it whe n it’s warm.

I may be looking for a viper for my nephew.. so what is the fix to the viper starting issues?
Just get the latest flash and have a good battery. Any issues after that are rare and usually are from some other oddball issue like valves tight or reluctor spun. Not common issues.

also shy away from aftermarket starters. had one last @1500 miles. I found a reputable local shop to rebuild the one that failed.

also shy away from aftermarket starters. had one last @1500 miles. I found a reputable local shop to rebuild the one that failed.
So if it comes to that it needs a starter I should stick with a Yamaha starter ?

So if it comes to that it needs a starter I should stick with a Yamaha starter ?
I've actually heard a lot of good about aftermarket starters! Most of the guys that install them say they turn the motor much faster, and they are supposed to be much more affordable.

Back