• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters

Hey guys so these posts are related to the current most up to date flash? Mine is current version minus 1, seems to start and run fine, curious if I should get it flashed with the latest.

I think I've read through all of these posts when I was researching an issue I had. What seemed to be the theme was that if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you don't have starting issues now you may want to just leave it alone and stick with the version you have. Some have complained about far worse starting be it cold, warm or hot after the flash as well as issues with runner richer/leaner at certain RPM than they had in the past. As with all the historical flashes it seems to have the potential to effect each sled very differently. Just my 2c.

I agree if it isn't broke don't fix it. I'm pretty sure both Yamaha and Cat are kicking them selfs in the a$$ right now for not useing the electronics from the Nytro that Yamaha had perfected. I'm sure it was a cost issue, charge more and get less.

Thanks. I've only had a few times where it would catch for a sec then had to turn the key again. No funny noises or anything and seems to start fine in colder temps, not minus 30c yet, but no problems in -15c.

I am seeing the same thing on my 16 SR Viper. It starts the best with the latest flash (2018)

So far this season running 87 oct only and I have only had one occasion where I needed 2 trys to start the thing and it was real warm out. Get on sled hold brake and turn the key till its fully running and a hair more. No prime nothing. I like the new flash best.

I think I've read through all of these posts when I was researching an issue I had. What seemed to be the theme was that if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you don't have starting issues now you may want to just leave it alone and stick with the version you have. Some have complained about far worse starting be it cold, warm or hot after the flash as well as issues with runner richer/leaner at certain RPM than they had in the past. As with all the historical flashes it seems to have the potential to effect each sled very differently. Just my 2c.

great advise. My 17 with latest flash has slowly became a hot start disaster since latest reflash. Becoming very frustrated with it. My 16 which was flashed at the exact same time has been perfect. Was a total crap shoot. Wish I would have left it alone. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

My 2014 with the latest reflash and recently adjusted valves started up at -31 last weekend. Battery was weak and would not start it so I swapped battery from my 2020 900t and whirled about five times and fired

I have a ‘14 ZR7000 (10200 kms ) and a’17 XF7000 (3400 kms). Both with the latest flash. The ‘14 is a winner..... the ‘17 won’t start at any temp colder than -5 Celsius. New battery installed with no difference. Definitely voltage issue. I did some experiments this last few weeks and noted that if the battery drops below 12.3v on cranking.... it’s a no go. Good spark but no fuel from injectors. Charge battery to 13 volts.... all is good. Not sure those who are struggling with cold starts are having the same issue but I’m considering the ucap install. Very frustrating but love the machine other than this.

CHECK FOR DRAGGING STARTERS!!!!!!!!! This will greatly effect cold start!!!!!!!
I installed the UCAP and in the end it was a band aid for a dragging starter.
Eventually the starter will fail, leaving you stranded. It may go for a couple of years like this!!!!!!!!

My viper wont start with the new flash. Not even in the garage. It only fires up with ether. Thank you Yamaha, I own a useless snowmobile.

I've decided to leave mine as is. -26 at 6am last month outside sitting without a cover for 15 hrs, fired right up like it was running 10 seconds before. Cranking speed didn't even slow a bit.

My viper wont start with the new flash. Not even in the garage. It only fires up with ether. Thank you Yamaha, I own a useless snowmobile.
That sounds similar to what mine did. I found I had no injector pulse when cranking. Look at the thread of cold start below. My starter was the culprit even though it sounded fine. Fires up perfect now.

These engines and their electronics seem to be struggling when the starter doesn't rotate the engine fast enough to satisfy the ECU programing. This might be part of the anti kick back feature added in the 2016 ECU update. The battery's ability to supply enough voltage to bring the starter up to speed and the starter's overall performance both have been connected to unsuccessful engine startups. These Yamaha starters have been problematic. All it takes is an internal magnet to slip out of phase or crack to decrease it's efficiency even when it seems to be working properly.

These engines and their electronics seem to be struggling when the starter doesn't rotate the engine fast enough to satisfy the ECU programing. This might be part of the anti kick back feature added in the 2016 ECU update. The battery's ability to supply enough voltage to bring the starter up to speed and the starter's overall performance both have been connected to unsuccessful engine startups. These Yamaha starters have been problematic. All it takes is an internal magnet to slip out of phase or crack to decrease it's efficiency even when it seems to be working properly.
you just hit the nail on the head. some just wont believe or listen....

you just hit the nail on the head. some just wont believe or listen....
I will admit, I was hesitant to move forward with the starter as well due to the fact it sounded like it was healthy.....lesson learned lol. It wasn’t

Back