• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
I want to hear about a -30 or colder start. Thats the only time I have problems. - 15 to -29c is never a problem just when its colder than that , mine will not start.

So what do we know for certain on the 2020 ECU update? Is the latest flash today the same that's coming next fall? I heard new map will have higher RPMs, which leads me to think there will be different clutch calibration to go with it. Guess we should know soon if anything changed in the 2020 clutching, which will give a hint on actual power delivery.
Now that cat no longer has the 7000 for 2020, I was wondering if Yamie is going to give a little more love to its tuning.

Dan

Ok what is the general overall view on the latest flash, my 2016 will start 99% of the time on first try after letting fuel pump cycle, that’s how I have started it from day 1. Should I get the flash done?

I dont like the new flash.My sled doesnt start better,there are times now where it takes 5-10 trys to start.It doesnt happen often but it happens and happens to another Viper I ride with too.No big improvement in idle and it runs hotter than it used to.I wish I could get the old flash back.

Ok what is the general overall view on the latest flash, my 2016 will start 99% of the time on first try after letting fuel pump cycle, that’s how I have started it from day 1. Should I get the flash done?

If your viper is working for you, and your happy 99% of the time, then leave it ALONE!!
You’ll never get your original mapping back.
This particular issue is far from fixed.

This is my opinion while owning a viper.
Was really hoping for a better outcome.

Just updated mine and now takes more tries to get it to start. Season is over so I haven’t rode it yet . Sucks it use to start awesome.

In 3 seasons my 2016 has only had broblems twice. Both times back fired in enclosed trailer which will get your attention. Both times were first trips up north still had fuel from previous season in tank and was -10f once and -15 the second time. Stock flash and it starts first try every time warm some times it takes 2 when cold. Idles 1500 RPM when warm. Once the sled has fresh fuel it will start good when cold for the rest of the season. I have seen no reason to get a new flash after reading the results of most that have posted. If your sled works good for you now I would leave it alone.

I agree! My stock 16 flash was awesome. Started and ran perfectly even after I turboed it. After the last couple flashes I can't stand it. Traded it in on a sidwinder! If I had never reflashed it I would have kept it. Really liked that sled.

Thanks for the input guys. Pretty easy answer, leaving it alone.

I had the 2018 flash done on my new to me 2015 ZR7000 El Tigre just before I picked it up at my Cat dealer in mid March. I have no history with how it started or its performance.
What I can report is that it cold started every morning (-5 to -15C) and hot started every time except once. On the second day of a three day trip about the fourth time we stopped to rest it needed three cranks to start, ran a little rough for a few seconds and then all was good. This was during my second three day trip of the season, the first trip no cold or hot start issues.
Looking back, the time I had issues with the hot start was when we did not rest long so maybe the engine did not have enough time to cool down? Just something to consider

In 3 seasons my 2016 has only had broblems twice. Both times back fired in enclosed trailer which will get your attention. Both times were first trips up north still had fuel from previous season in tank and was -10f once and -15 the second time. Stock flash and it starts first try every time warm some times it takes 2 when cold. Idles 1500 RPM when warm. Once the sled has fresh fuel it will start good when cold for the rest of the season. I have seen no reason to get a new flash after reading the results of most that have posted. If your sled works good for you now I would leave it alone.
The backfire scares me I worry about the infamous starter gear breaking and taking out the stator.

I moved my 2017 Viper from Illinois to Wisconsin house and did not want to start took 3 or 4 times. I think this flash has made it worse

So what do we know for certain on the 2020 ECU update? Is the latest flash today the same that's coming next fall? I heard new map will have higher RPMs, which leads me to think there will be different clutch calibration to go with it. Guess we should know soon if anything changed in the 2020 clutching, which will give a hint on actual power delivery.
Now that cat no longer has the 7000 for 2020, I was wondering if Yamie is going to give a little more love to its tuning.

Dan
Any information on this?

Back