• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

**Official Clutch Rattle Removal Thread w/ Pics**

All i did after installing the Factory yamaha Fly weight Rollers a,pins and washers to find it did absolutly nothing except break the Bank, i pulled the Bolt and Roller Pin from the Roller side, touched the Pin with my Grinding wheel and took just a fraction off the Pin.Reinstalled , and done the other 2, The bolt now sits Tight, don,t over tighten it as the Roller will not turn..My Noise is Pretty Much all gone now'
maxresdefault.jpg

Another way to take up the play... Cool. I went with the SB quiet clutch kit when I too spent some $$$ on new flyweights which gives you the white washer and black washer to take up slop (blue arrows in pic). The black washers go behind the bolt head and nut which does the same thing shortening the pin with a grinder would do. The white washer takes up play on the flyweight side so both are quieter due to less slop. The SB comfort clutch kit gives you smaller rollers and a lighter spring to bring clutch engagement down to 2800 rpm... Both work great. Highly recommend them. The loose marble diesel rattle is gone but clutches like these always make some noise.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
I have yet to try to quiet the clutch kit. I do know when my dealer pulled stub shaft and applied loctite my VK Pro became very quiet and all rattle grind sound was gone. Problem is the loctite let go after a 1000 km. And the annoying rattle has returned.

I have yet to try to quiet the clutch kit. I do know when my dealer pulled stub shaft and applied loctite my VK Pro became very quiet and all rattle grind sound was gone. Problem is the loctite let go after a 1000 km. And the annoying rattle has returned.
Makes sense. The loctite would give way after a while. I am sure the white washer could be sourced but the black "shims" are so thin and specific you have to be cautious not to squeeze them out of alignment when tightening. I figured support SB (http://www.schmidtbrosmotorsports.com) seeing how they support us. As a small business owner I understand the sacrifice to follow your passions.

Makes sense. The loctite would give way after a while. I am sure the white washer could be sourced but the black "shims" are so thin and specific you have to be cautious not to squeeze them out of alignment when tightening. I figured support SB (http://www.schmidtbrosmotorsports.com) seeing how they support us. As a small business owner I understand the sacrifice to follow your passions.

Will contact SB to see what they suggest. If it works I will get my wife's Vector taken care of too. Thanks for the link.

Is that white washer nylon or some other type of material?
I wouldn't mind taking up some of the slop in the fly's.

Is that white washer nylon or some other type of material?
I wouldn't mind taking up some of the slop in the fly's.
Not sure what the material is, but happy with them. The SB site details what you get, short money for some silence.

Ok guys, 09 Nytro RTX, 91xx miles, rattle is just awful!!!. Took clutch iff to soak an clean, thoght, hmmm, fire it up without clutch. Not a sound, purrs like it was new!!! Ordering kit tonight. One ? tho. Rollers ok or should they be replaced? They look ok!!

Ok guys, 09 Nytro RTX, 91xx miles, rattle is just awful!!!. Took clutch iff to soak an clean, thoght, hmmm, fire it up without clutch. Not a sound, purrs like it was new!!! Ordering kit tonight. One ? tho. Rollers ok or should they be replaced? They look ok!!
I ordered both the SB quiet clutch (shims) and comfort clutch (rollers and spring) kits. The comfort clutch brings engagement down to 2800 rpm which is fantastic for smoother starts. I also replaced the flyweights so I would not have to deal w clutch issues for a while.

Hard to believe I started this thread 6 years ago, and it's still getting attention!

As of lately everyone seems to think the rattle is from the roller bolts. But this is only one source. Easily eliminated with a o-ring under the nut.
The other source is from the plastic spider paws, and the o-rings behind them. Easily eliminated by taking the clutch apart and replacing paws/o-rings.
But the MAIN source of the rattle is in the splines, hence the loctite idea, which only worked for a few rides unfortunately.

I'm going to be testing a new idea, a mechanical solution, that I hope will work, I've been waiting to get around to it the past couple years.
I'll post an update but will be in January, I want to test it before I get too excited and we currently have no snow.

Back