• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

On the hunt for z daffy ducks.

That was a decent article on the Thundercat vs the 900r Doo. It looks like they are pretty close with the T cat going 3 mph more on top. I finally had a chance to really run my 900r today and all I can say is I'm really pleased with it's performance. While most Mach owners are complaining their Machs are only hitting 7500 rpm I can happily report my 900r hits 8100 rpms when I hit it then settles down to 7800 - 7900 rpms and stays there while pulling really hard. I feel like I got a good one because it performs as advertised.

hands down I know which one looks better...

Speaking of lock ECU’s, my buddy who has been mostly a Yamaha sledder for years has recently sunk neck deep into the SxS world. Has a Can Am X3 Maverick with all sorts of add ons and a tune. He claims he heard from his dealer that BRP is gonna lock down the ECU on these too very shortly. Maybe it’s a warranty thing?

Bet its an EPA thing coming

That was a decent article on the Thundercat vs the 900r Doo. It looks like they are pretty close with the T cat going 3 mph more on top. I finally had a chance to really run my 900r today and all I can say is I'm really pleased with it's performance. While most Mach owners are complaining their Machs are only hitting 7500 rpm I can happily report my 900r hits 8100 rpms when I hit it then settles down to 7800 - 7900 rpms and stays there while pulling really hard. I feel like I got a good one because it performs as advertised.
Used to see this back in the 90's with 2 smokes.. Two guys have same exact sled and one is 5 mph faster..
What is the handling like? Is it wheelie happy like some report?

Used to see this back in the 90's with 2 smokes.. Two guys have same exact sled and one is 5 mph faster..
What is the handling like? Is it wheelie happy like some report?
No wheelies with mine. I kept mine at the factory settings with less weight transfer. Many of the Mach owners changed their transfer settings to max transfer. I have no idea why. Mine stays flat and handles great. That was one of the traits I really like about the Winder suspension. The front stays down. Lots of the Doo guys think it's more playful with more transfer. I disagree and prefer both my ski's contacting the trail.
As far as the fact that some of the 900r's are running the right RPM's and others are up to 500 rpm's low I would think it has something to do with the ECM. So far mine is running strong and at the proper rpm and I only have 450 miles on it. I know Rockerdan's mach was running low and his buds was running perfect, and he said there was a big performance difference.
I rode with my old Winder yesterday and I'm happy to report it's not losing coolant like the owner had told me. Two weeks ago, it was down a couple liters of coolant but since we topped it off it's been fine. I think he may have overheated, and it spit some out at one point. We didn't race because he wasn't interested in doing so. I really would have liked to see how they run but it wasn't up to me.

No wheelies with mine. I kept mine at the factory settings with less weight transfer. Many of the Mach owners changed their transfer settings to max transfer. I have no idea why. Mine stays flat and handles great. That was one of the traits I really like about the Winder suspension. The front stays down. Lots of the Doo guys think it's more playful with more transfer. I disagree and prefer both my ski's contacting the trail.
As far as the fact that some of the 900r's are running the right RPM's and others are up to 500 rpm's low I would think it has something to do with the ECM. So far mine is running strong and at the proper rpm and I only have 450 miles on it. I know Rockerdan's mach was running low and his buds was running perfect, and he said there was a big performance difference.
I rode with my old Winder yesterday and I'm happy to report it's not losing coolant like the owner had told me. Two weeks ago, it was down a couple liters of coolant but since we topped it off it's been fine. I think he may have overheated, and it spit some out at one point. We didn't race because he wasn't interested in doing so. I really would have liked to see how they run but it wasn't up to me.
Thanks.. Thinking guys will get them dialed better this year.. Just curious what you see so far.
Now I'm not saying I want one though!

Thanks.. Thinking guys will get them dialed better this year.. Just curious what you see so far.
Now I'm not saying I want one though!
The Mach is getting bashed like crazy for lack of top speed. Many are saying Doo pulled back the boost on production sleds because the bean counters were worried about warranty. I personally don't know if this is true and I'm not that concerned. I only have 500 miles on my Renegade, and it suits me perfect. I'm getting over 15 MPG running in all conditions and the sled runs perfect all the time. The performance is plenty for me. I hit a couple fields the other day and it hit 100 mph plus quickly and held 7800 revs. The fields weren't long enough to see how fast it will go but honestly it has all the speed I need.
I didn't order a Mach because I wasn't looking for a flagship sled or something that says, "look at me on my Mach". I couldn't care less about any of that crap. If indeed Doo detuned the Mach for production, then they should be ashamed of themselves because many Mach owners were expecting it to be a top performer.
I would say if being king of the lake is important to someone then stick to the 998 and tune it up. I bought my Renegade 900r X pkg to ride on the trail and take on saddlebag trips. It's extremely reliable, gets great fuel mileage, performs up to my standards and is truly a gas and go sled.

Lots were probably expecting it to beat the Yamacats and anything less(then walking them) was not going to please them.. I admit I like the mods and tunes for the winders.. BUT I can totally understand "just ride it" mentality. Plenty of guys that have zero time or ability to wrench on any brand sled. All 3 are making amazing sleds right now! Think back just 25 years and take one of those sleds for a long trail ride.. Things have come a long ways for comfort and big mile days.. Maybe not speed wise as it seems like the new sleds(all 3 brands) are actually slower(in general/stock form). This may have something to do with the disappointment on the Mach?

Last edited:
The Mack is also a whole bunch heavier than the X or Renegade too. Those electric shock packages add a whole bunch to the weight. Not sure what else add to the put weight on them, but the Mack is going to be the slowest of the bunch. Doo should have never touted it as a "lake racer". Either way, the 900R's should be a lot faster than the lower HP sleds that are outrunning them. As I recall the Mack is 60-70 lbs heavier than the X and like 30 lbs heavier than the XRS is. I know I was surprised at how much heavier it really was. Its why we call it a Mack!

Without the Hurricane ECU its going to be very slow for a 193HP machine!

If they would have delivered the advertised 17.5lbs of boost, then I think it would have been really close. Not sure if it would have beat it, but it would have way better top end numbers.

Finally got some time out with my buds Mach and to be honest it is a really nice machine. Very nicely put together and a little quirky on high speed corners but i am sure that can be tuned out with setup. I have a tuned winder with TD max 17 so races were just for fun and as expected the winder just drives away and in 1500 feet is about 10+ mph faster. Stock might have been close but who cares. After riding the Mach if Cat/Yamaha can make some slight alterations to the body work to make it slimmer in the knee area and update the seat tank and add in a new GPS style dash and perhaps a longer front arm in the current suspension they will be relevant for a long time as the procross is still very good. Just clean up the current chassis and we are all good.

Jester

Back