• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

On the hunt for z daffy ducks.

Mike I don’t doubt that your Winder is setup awesome and I know you will always have it in tip top shape. I have always respected your opinions and I know how good you are when it comes to making any of these sleds perform the way they should.
You are very passionate when it comes to sleds and I like that. Keep doing what your doing and enjoy your winder.
totally agree, I learn allot from Knapp posts. Mike is not the first to post about leaking oil tanks etc..., he is not responsible for the design and just mentions what the chorus is saying on things to look out for...this is why this site is so valuable to Yamaha and Cat owners. I can't figure out why Ski Doo people would be on here bashing our choice or members when all we are trying to do is look out for other Yama/Cat owners.
Thanks Mike for your posts, your Knowledge and passion is very clear to this reader. Joe

Obviously some ppl haven't ran there sidewinders against a motec 1200 bc them sleds will embarrass a sidewinder. I know a couple ppl that bragged about there sidewinder tuned up etc. Etc. Fastest sled blah blah blah. Until they raced a motec 1200. That shut em up in a hurry.
Or same can be said for the Apex or even the RX1 with a Bender or FPP set ups. Two in my area had world records many years ago in1000’. Even the mild trail versions were a lot, so I guess you have to decide how much dependable power does one need for trails, and that also means too much on medium size trails, but what you want on the BIG trails like my state offers, in the Northern part of the state called (The County)!

Have added tunes 4 times to try and find that Happy Place, and will say this new TD MS 17 is a smooth running tune until power is asked for, and then that claimed 285hp is unleashed and is a lot for trails, even in this Procross chassis, which by the way, is soooo much better handling and riding then my older Yamahas.

So Glad to hear about your fast Doo Motec set up, because we all know once addicted to Boost, Pull and lot’s of gnarly hp, ride and handling must fit in there someplace too, for the trail rider/racer in most of us here!

You know all of this because you have the data or is this just feeling? Not trying to start anything but claims like "I would jolt ahead by a length or more every time' are a bit much. Absolute statements like that in the ever changing conditions we ride in don't mean much. What matters to you as the buyer is what you feel, and to you it feels like a quicker machine up to a point. Awesome, if that makes you happy you cannot ask for more. But to turn around and use it as a very wide brush to declare 'every time' is something altogether different. To be clear, I almost bought a 900r yesterday so I have no dog in the fight.

You also state 'the doo transfers weight well'.. what does that mean because all I see is skis to the sky which is not proper weight transfer. If there is any lifting of the front skis it is energy that isn't dedicated to propelling you forward. There is a reason dragsters don't like to wheelie.
skis in the air is something I can relate to. My wife was injured on a Doo because of that unnatural ski life...she only had a slight leg/foot injury but the sudden ski lift left her without turn control.

new TD MS 17 is a smooth running tune until power is asked for, and then that claimed 285hp is unleashed and is a lot for trails, even in this Procross chassis,
Concur! I run BIG wide trails in the Upper Michigan, (UP) and this power is unleashed often. I have found on this tune if you do a nice even pull (don't bang it to the handle bar) it seems to unleash things a little better.. less track spinning like crazy and over revs milder.. If I just hammer it hard it seems to spin and then grab and then spin and its just violence! Not smooth.. This 200+ 1.45 gold diggers..

Concur! I run BIG wide trails in the Upper Michigan, (UP) and this power is unleashed often. I have found on this tune if you do a nice even pull (don't bang it to the handle bar) it seems to unleash things a little better.. less track spinning like crazy and over revs milder.. If I just hammer it hard it seems to spin and then grab and then spin and its just violence! Not smooth.. This 200+ Es
Yes this tune can be violent once at WOT, even if you pour it on slow, even if you wait until 80 or 90 to turn on. Better hold on tight with good traction anytime you nail it! Just trying to get use to that extra ski lift and traction that the After market center spring gave me! Little things can make big changes on certain conditions!

Yes this tune can be violent once at WOT, even if you pour it on slow, even if you wait until 80 or 90 to turn on. Better hold on tight with good traction anytime you nail it! Just trying to get use to that extra ski lift and traction that the After market center spring gave me! Little things can make big changes on certain conditions!
Speaking of lock ECU’s, my buddy who has been mostly a Yamaha sledder for years has recently sunk neck deep into the SxS world. Has a Can Am X3 Maverick with all sorts of add ons and a tune. He claims he heard from his dealer that BRP is gonna lock down the ECU on these too very shortly. Maybe it’s a warranty thing?

Where did I miss the quack, mack, social slurs? What is the history of these names? LOL
Some say the Doo front of the hood or cowling has had a duck bill look to it for the past so many years, thus Quack!

Others say the Mack reference is what many Doo guys have been saying about the Yamaha 4 strokes since the RX1 (RX 1Ton)came out! So now is payback time for those who recently came aboard the 4 stroke snowmobile world with the new Mack Z!

Part of the fun of snowmobiling that crap talk thing!

Not sure who came up with the quack or daffy look but it was @KnappAttack that coined the phrase 'Mack'.
As far as I can recall I started calling this body style Daffy Duck from day one. I coined it that on a few forums and it just took off from there. I can honestly say if someone else did before me I don’t remember.

As far as I can recall I started calling this body style Daffy Duck from day one. I coined it that on a few forums and it just took off from there. I can honestly say if someone else did before me I don’t remember.
Dont know who did it but I kept a copy...lol!

Attachments

• 14470.png
    14470.png
    373.8 KB · Views: 117
You know all of this because you have the data or is this just feeling? Not trying to start anything but claims like "I would jolt ahead by a length or more every time' are a bit much. Absolute statements like that in the ever changing conditions we ride in don't mean much. What matters to you as the buyer is what you feel, and to you it feels like a quicker machine up to a point. Awesome, if that makes you happy you cannot ask for more. But to turn around and use it as a very wide brush to declare 'every time' is something altogether different. To be clear, I almost bought a 900r yesterday so I have no dog in the fight.

You also state 'the doo transfers weight well'.. what does that mean because all I see is skis to the sky which is not proper weight transfer. If there is any lifting of the front skis it is energy that isn't dedicated to propelling you forward. There is a reason dragsters don't like to wheelie.
skis in the air is something I can relate to. My wife was injured on a Doo because of that unnatural ski life...she only had a slight leg/foot injury but the sudden ski lift left her without turn control.
Dont know who did it but I kept a copy...lol!
I see the resemblance now, I always thought the yellow sleds looked like a bumble bee, but yes the duck thing is there.

Back