• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

Just did mine as per Dan's instructions. Was easy and quick to do. Made a huge difference for sure, especially in the powder. To say its like EPS is a reach but it is a huge improvement. Only tooled around in the back have not gone for a proper ride. I do not have my center shock cranked as much as Dan did as it makes it to rough I find. I am half way between Dan's setting and stock. I let me limiter out to the last hole (stock was second from last).
I would never say it's like eps either but friend with eps apex loved how it steered for not having it.

hey Dan,

Did you let the limiter out that last hole thats hidden?

also, did you play with the main shocks rebound?

remove all...then add racewerx block on max transfer..

NOTE: for those who are considering removing the rod...it you have the J T big wheel kit ....with it removed, there is a good chance you will hit and do damage..

Sj

So what do you think of the racewerx quick adjuster? I have JT big wheel kit. Been running rod out for a full season. I haven't had any issue with it tearing up my rear wheels but it may be causing some premature wear on suspension pivot points. (I have had to replace quite a few parts). I tend to pull wheelies... at every opportunity. Haha. Would I be happy with the added 2 options for more transfer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sj

So what do you think of the racewerx quick adjuster? I have JT big wheel kit. Been running rod out for a full season. I haven't had any issue with it tearing up my rear wheels but it may be causing some premature wear on suspension pivot points. (I have had to replace quite a few parts). I tend to pull wheelies... at every opportunity. Haha. Would I be happy with the added 2 options for more transfer?

Racinjason15 I just thought I'd give you my take on the Raceworks quick adjust.
I just installed the speedwork's quick adjust and tried every setting today and it makes a noticible difference on each of the settings. I'm on an RTX and on #1 (most transfer) the skis lift in the air with ease. On #6 ( least transfer) the skis are absolutely planted to the point that skis (Tuners) will bite really really good almost to good, ( 6"and 7.5" shaper bars) and that was on icy base with sugar snow on top, and fresh'ish snow for most of the day. Every setting changes how the sled reacts 2,3,4,and 5 1- being most transfer and 6-being less. And with no darting to boot. Plus it so easy to adjust just turn and click, perfect.
I just had to try it because it's such a pain to make changes with the stock adjuster and I beilieve this is what's missing on the Viper and Sidewinder to improve the "push" a lot of people are experiencing. As long as it holds up I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited:
I just installed the speedwork's quick adjust and tried every setting today and it makes a noticible difference on each of the settings. I'm on an RTX and on #1 (most transfer) the skis lift in the air with ease. On #6 ( least transfer) the skis are absolutely planted to the point that skis (Tuners) will bite really really good almost to good, ( 6"and 7.5" shaper bars) and that was on icy base with sugar snow on top, and fresh'ish snow for most of the day. Every setting changes how the sled reacts 2,3,4,and 5 1- being most transfer and 6-being less. And with no darting to boot. Plus it so easy to adjust just turn and click, perfect.
I just had to try it because it's such a pain to make changes with the stock adjuster and I beilieve this is what's missing on the Viper and Sidewinder to improve the "push" a lot of people are experiencing. As long as it holds up I'll be a happy camper.
Sold.

Glad it's working good for you!

saved me the strokes....its simple and effective...maybe less max transfer than bar removed...but the ability to adjust on the fly as conditions or needs change to me makes it invaluable

Thanks for the info Dan. After reading it I didn't realize the washer would fit between the Pilots and spindle. I took the skis off and put the washer in there, it was a tight fit but I got it in there. Sometimes it's good to have a few different guys try stuff especially guys as anal as you. LOL!

so who can shine a pic of these raceworks blocks,and why are they so much better than stock blocks for max transfer and min transfer and how pricy are they?

Hey TY gang....

Been awhile since I've really wrote much of anything over here. Spent 2006 though 2013 in the Apex forums and then jumped over to try a turbo from Cat, and 14 went back over to Doo and now have my 2016 4tec. So its been fun being all over and have come away with lots of good/bad from other brands.

Back in 06 with the Apex handling quirks, the pilot ski had just be designed and was new, the 5.7 pilot at the time transformed the Apex into a real nice tight trail 'railer' and it cured the inside ski lift that model was known for.

In 2012 when I got my cat turbo(procross chassie) I did not like the heavy darting that came with that sled out of the box, so i decided to go back to my 'staple' ski, the pilot 5.7, which I pulled off my apex for a test, and sure enough that cat became an ultra nice handler, no darting and light effort.

On my current 1200 4tec doo, which is ultra rider forward XS chassie, I decided to try out the pilots but this time in the 6.9 version, as the extra flotation is really welcomed on the 4tec with the extra nose weight being an extreme rider forward design, and the results impressed me. Not only incredible in powder making the 4s feel fun and playful(2s like) but also being even BETTER on trail then the 5.7, as the 6.9 has a wider unique distance between the two carbides when compared directly to the ultra popular 5.7 pilot.

So last week my local buddy out of the blue tells me he has a new Sidewinder LTX LE, and Im welcome to come ride it! Ive been lurking since Chris Reid released the info last winter on the SW engine, as most of us 4tec guys have been wanting a BRP turbo but it seems their cash cow will always rule. Needless to say, getting some seat time on a new SW was incredible.

New LE 137 was right out of the box stock, Tom is not the type to do alot of tinkering himself but was open to me making some suggestions. After the 110 mile ride, I was SOLD 100% on this new engine configuration and how it makes the power so smoothly, this is pure Yammie and really puts the old ZUK to shame in many ways. Impressive!

The handling I felt needed work, being nose heavy and steering that was far too heavy, and little to no transfer(no studs yet either). I immediately thought of the 6.9s to make this chassie steering feel better.

So Tom ordered them up, St.Onge happened to have a pair there so we got all the goods needed, as I had all the part numbers and specifics. I will try to include all the info here as Ive got quite a few PMs both here and on DooTalk on this setup. I took a ton of pics of every step, along with going over the entire sled with fine tooth comb since I may become an owner of one....quite a nice package here, and you can see yammies hands are all over this new gem.

Part numbers for pilot 6.9s.....

QTY- BRP Part Number

1 - #505073056 RH 6.9 Ski
1 - #505073055 LH 6.9 Ski

2 - #505070963 Ski handle
2 - #860200525 Ski handle rivets(A better solution is SS bolts/Nuts-Will post sizes )
1 - #860200580 BRP Executive 8" 60 degree 1/2" round host bar carbide(for center)
1- #860201044 BRP 4" square 7/16" host bar for outers(or move from center to outer)

Another great thing about this setup, is it not only is the best setup overall IMO, but also is by far the cheapest when compared to aftermarket skis. BRP dealers can now order them again as they have become an available item after being discontinued....Here Leaders sells them on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ski-Doo-New-...32c2694:g:-Q8AAOSwUuFWzTeM&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

I run 5" BRP "extreme bars on my 1200 setup which works well, we got the larger 7.5" executive series as this chassies does not suffer from the quirks of the XS DOO chassie and seems to do well with more carbide where the doo does not. The extremes will work well too no doubt, but Tom opted for the 7.5"(BRP calls them 8")

I nearly forgot the conclusion....after many adjustments to alot, this new LE LTX now feels like I added EPS, and is NOW simply a pleasure to ride. Absolutely the best improvement to this chassie is to drop the stock ski, and slap on some pilot 6.9s, your arms and wallet will appreciate it!

Dan

View attachment 125265View attachment 125266View attachment 125273View attachment 125267

Just put 50 miles on the Pilot 6.9. HUGE improvement, transformed the handling. Might crank up the center shock a little more to lighten the ski's. It's now point and shoot in the corners and holds a line under power like a slot car.

Just put 50 miles on the Pilot 6.9. HUGE improvement, transformed the handling. Might crank up the center shock a little more to lighten the ski's. It's now point and shoot in the corners and holds a line under power like a slot car.
Now you have a Catmadoo! How do they feel in loose snow? any push. Also, do they feel at all heavy at slow speeds? What model was that on?

Now you have a Catmadoo! How do they feel in loose snow? any push. Also, do they feel at all heavy at slow speeds? What model was that on?

LOL that's really funny!

LTX-LE

Fantastic in hard pack and loose snow and good in deep snow. Yes you always push in a foot of powder unless it's deep enough and you can steer opposite and roll it over.

I would say at low speeds in snow turned very close to a 2S, same on hard pack. Felt very similar to my 800 Doo 2S.

Only time it felt a bit heavy was railing on the river on hard pack in high speed sweeping turns, but that's ok as I want to feel connected to the snow at those speeds when cornering.

I tightened my centre shock to 10 threads showing (stock is 5 threads) I am going to tighten it a little more and see how that works.

I must say pretty blown away at the improvement. Even in the rough chop the front end was more confidence inspiring as it seems to not dart around like the tuners did.

I was bottoming a fair bit out back and went to #2 compression on rear shock and it was perfect then. I'm 220lbs no gear.

The sled is now everything I had hoped it would be. I can't for the life of me understand how Yamaha could test with those ski's and think they had a good handing package. Frankly embarrassing.

IMG_0423.JPG

Last edited:

Back