• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Race Brake Lever is a non-starter for '18--Grrrr

OMG - I don't know why I didn't do this mod sooner!!!

I've heard that the Polaris brake lever found on the Axys chassis can be used on our Vipers. I think it was around 2015 when Polaris began to use the same Hayes master cylinder that is used on Arctic Cat models, which is also the same as our Viper and Sidewinder models. But the profile of the brake lever is different. After doing a little more research I nailed down the part number and took a chance at it.

This is literally a 2 minute bolt on! You take one bolt out, remove the lever, and install the new one. The Polaris part number is 2205334. I got mine on ebay for about $40. New they are priced closer to $80. The profile and reach to the lever in my opinion is waaay better than the stock one. It reminds me very much of the levers that I'm used to on past 'true' Yamaha sleds.

Thanks for the plug! That was my post over in the Viper section.

BTW if anyone uses their goggle bag from last season, and wants to get rid of their stock Vent, let me know.

thnx
I have a vent from my Viper if it is the same, your welcome to it.

Yeah me too, for tight trails and hanging off left side, you can grab a handful of brake easily with the curved end, and so I was really excited that the yammie pamphlet showed the race brake lever.

One thing to beware of......at my dealer today we tested a SKIDOO clear view hand MUFF, which I use when it gets real cold. Don thought it may rub, and he is right. The long curve touches the inside of hand muff and "may" apply a light amt of pressure to lever, which could lead to overheated rotor ect ect.....Possibly could work with better positioning or sliding the lever inward some at the clamp.

I may hold off on it, since its so pricey anyway. One thing I will miss from my Doos is their nice "shorty" lever.

Dan
Dan I used the clear hand muffs on my sled last year. I did however have to modify the one around the brake lever because of what you mentioned. I had to cut a relief in it and then sew it back up so it now clears the brake lever. I will show you some pics when I get a chance. I really like those muffs and won't use any other.

I used the Doo muffs all last year on the SW with no issues .

Dan I used the clear hand muffs on my sled last year. I did however have to modify the one around the brake lever because of what you mentioned. I had to cut a relief in it and then sew it back up so it now clears the brake lever. I will show you some pics when I get a chance. I really like those muffs and won't use any other.

Yes the SW stock lever is long already, and when Don and I test fit a doo muff onto the Tcat curved race lever, it got even worse as the doo muff has a PLUG into the end of the grip, so its rather tight there. Sure you could just not plug into grip end and adjust lever inward, and be OK, but with the Tcat lever its even worse so this was something that I was thinking about.

I used the Doo muffs all last year on the SW with no issues .

I agree it can be adjusted to work, but I guess it would have me wondering always if its touching ect when turning and so on....

So, when I saw this cool POLARIS lever posted here, which is a HAYES and DIRECT fit, I was very happy....A true shorty(not just a knub like the tcat has) and although it does not have the cool curved end for left hand carving on corners, the fact that the curved end was gonna interfere with my muffs on cold days, that idea went out the window...So since the curved end Tcat style is not gonna work for me now, my next choice would be the nice shorty like my DOO "felt".

Super glad I happen to see that entire master unit on ebay for only $42(less then half the cost of lever alone)and so I will have a nice shorty brake lever and even some spare master parts..lol

I will post up when it arrives and i install it. Just another item on these(cats) that I never liked much, that long lever with poor feel at the fingers.

Dan

Yes the SW stock lever is long already, and when Don and I test fit a doo muff onto the Tcat curved race lever, it got even worse as the doo muff has a PLUG into the end of the grip, so its rather tight there. Sure you could just not plug into grip end and adjust lever inward, and be OK, but with the Tcat lever its even worse so this was something that I was thinking about.

I agree it can be adjusted to work, but I guess it would have me wondering always if its touching ect when turning and so on....

So, when I saw this cool POLARIS lever posted here, which is a HAYES and DIRECT fit, I was very happy....A true shorty(not just a knub like the tcat has) and although it does not have the cool curved end for left hand carving on corners, the fact that the curved end was gonna interfere with my muffs on cold days, that idea went out the window...So since the curved end Tcat style is not gonna work for me now, my next choice would be the nice shorty like my DOO "felt".

Super glad I happen to see that entire master unit on ebay for only $42(less then half the cost of lever alone)and so I will have a nice shorty brake lever and even some spare master parts..lol

I will post up when it arrives and i install it. Just another item on these(cats) that I never liked much, that long lever with poor feel at the fingers.

Dan

Man, I've been searching for the Polaris brake lever and can't find it :(

Ok, some Important news about the race brake lever for '18 LE's.

Might as well delete just about all my OP/Original Post!.........lol

Well after asking several guys on here about the lever, and NO REPLY at all.....and then seeing the 50th sled that my dealer just assembled onto showroom floor, and having the same 17 lever. It was looking like we did not get the darn lever with curve like Tcat comes with.....Hence my original post.

Well, Nick threw out the curve ball to me today! So his 50th does have the curved lever! WOW! Nick assured me his did come with the lever same as Tcat. So all my prior talk about yammie incorrectly naming the race lever, and the early pamphlets ect...its all wrong.lol

And the reason(I believe) that my dealers sled which I sat on(50th ltx) does not have the race lever, must be because it has a build date of Feb. You would think Yam would updated that lever, and maybe they will for the buyer, but that FEB built 18 50th model has standard lever.

So all this being said, even Nick agreed...the longer lever plays havoc with the MUFFS like DOO has and many of us run. And even the stock lever is long and can be tight on the doo muffs.

So for many of us, this thread had an unintended positive outcome. That being the Polaris(15/newer Axys) shorty lever is same fitment, and will help ALL of us who run the muffs.....so Im glad I got that coming. And since it might only be a couple rides out of an entire winter of riding that the muffs are actually needed, I can run the stock race lever 90% of the time, and then when I slap on the muffs, I can take an extra minute or two to swap over to the Poo shorty lever.

Hope that is not too confusing for anyone...Bottom line, it looks like we all will get the curved tcat lever after all.(LE models)

Dan

Last edited:
SPG even makes an adjustable for POO, and a heated too! Quite abit shorter then stock and even shorter then the stock POO axys lever i grabbed off ebay....

Looks like direct fitment to Hayes for us too. Not cheap though.

http://www.sledsolutions.com/index.php?id_category=57&controller=category

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Back