• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sidewinder chaincase lube

After first service I used full bottle of Amsoil chain case lube which fills chain case to top of sight glass.
Interesting thing, I had sled on a sled lift while re torquing my studs, as I was spinning track by hand I took a look at the sight glass and noticed oil at the bottom of the glass, got to imagine while riding there isn’t much oil in the bottom of the case even when using 16 oz.

I run 1/2 litre which is a fair bit, the sight glass is completely submerged. While running it on the stand there is no oil visible in the sight glass, all is whipped around the case.

Now just think if there was only 300ml (or whatever factory spec is) in the case - I don't think that's enough oil in there.
MS

I run 1/2 litre which is a fair bit, the sight glass is completely submerged. While running it on the stand there is no oil visible in the sight glass, all is whipped around the case.

Now just think if there was only 300ml (or whatever factory spec is) in the case - I don't think that's enough oil in there.
MS
True, not sure what Yamaha was thinking with that amount of oil.

I realize hundreds of posts have been written on this topic, but, just to confirm, is 16 oz of Klotz chain case lube still a good quantity/type of chain case lube to use? Thanks.
Klotz is the only chain case lube I have used on all my sleds and all the ones I serviced I have never had and issues I just fill it to the top on sight glass. And works our as RockerDan states 16 oz.

I use Amsoil synthetic 75w/90.My top gear just went at 6,000 miles, tuned from day 1. I think it has worked well. I use the top of the sight glass as level indicator to get a little extra in, don't want it too high pulling metals away from the magnets although they are probably strong enough to resist that.

Back