• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slipping out of gear.

Is the winder tunnel the same as the Viper tunnel? Just thinking that there is too much thrust on the snap ring, when changing the bearing on the drive shaft I had to ratchet strap the tunnel together in order to get the snap ring in the groove. I don't believe that a snap ring is made for thrust loads.

Would this being worn out/broken be causing the sled to keep poping out of gear?
20180307_123452.jpg

Attachments

• IMG952320.jpg
    IMG952320.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 126
Update-

The dealer just called , apparently the clip on the jack shaft came off. Seems like a strange thing to happen. Anyway they orders all the parts.[/QUOTE

The clip Popping off is common. That's all that is holding the gear from moving inward and when it does it pops out of gear. I'm having a spacer made up to support the clip.

I hope so just ordered a new top gear and reverse gear. They meshed hard enough to wreck both

This happened to my winder last march. My friends did this last week. both had about 2000 miles on them. Top gear has about .080 of slop and thats a lot. The gear can move ways it is not supposed to and breaks the fork pads. Also can push the circlip behind the gear out of its grove and the chain will grind off aluminum from case. Mine just broke the pads so it would pop out of gear and grind. Shut it of and restart and it was able to drive back but popped out several times. my friend moved the circlip and was not able to drive it. I have heard some say just replace the top gear every year. Not a good design in the $15,000 machine!

On my 18, I installed both washers that are located beside the top gear on the inside only. I then had a washer that was half as thick that I put on the right and the clip would still fit. This helped to keep the splines further engaged.
But ya, this chaincase needs a major re-tooling.

Update-

The dealer just called , apparently the clip on the jack shaft came off. Seems like a strange thing to happen. Anyway they orders all the parts.
The exact same thing happened to me. My upper gear bushing wore so bad and was flopping around that it appears to have knocked off the circ clip on the jackshaft.

Back