• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slipping out of gear.

Dave's video was taken because we wanted to see whats going on in there instead of taking it in for warranty like I did. Plus we feel better knowing it was put together right. Like said before the chain adjustment bolt will screw in all the way when its like this so maybe thats a way to tell what the condition of your is. I am wondering if the newer gears that have the oil holes drilled in the bushing are lasting any better?? The 17-18's did not have the oil holes drilled. Also some have been running 12oz oil instead of the 8oz thats called for. I hope to see a fix for this soon. I hope Cat and Yamaha see this post. I am hesitant to take this sled on far away trip like to Canada. I much more trust my F1000 to get me home.

Last edited:

Did the gear in the video have the updated gear with the hole in it? It looked like it did. If so was the hole drilled through the bushing also?

I checked my 17 at 2500 miles and had no wear at all. I was expecting it to be bad so I had a replacement gear with the holes to put in. Wonder why some have wear and not others? My sled was 100% stock.

Did the gear in the video have the updated gear with the hole in it? It looked like it did. If so was the hole drilled through the bushing also?
It has three holes in gear but were not drilled in the bushing.

I checked my 17 at 2500 miles and had no wear at all. I was expecting it to be bad so I had a replacement gear with the holes to put in. Wonder why some have wear and not others? My sled was 100% stock.
Mine was stock also and chain tension was done by the book.

I’m still running my original top gear in my 14 10k miles and counting running amsoil 75-140 and double the capacity. Shifts perfectly and has never come out of gear. If I put the gear on the shaft dry it’s a little loose but dip it in oil and it fits fine. Need clearance for lube. Fit too tight and they will wear quickly.

Dave's video was taken because we wanted to see whats going on in there instead of taking it in for warranty like I did. Plus we feel better knowing it was put together right. Like said before the chain adjustment bolt will screw in all the way when its like this so maybe thats a way to tell what the condition of your is. I am wondering if the newer gears that have the oil holes drilled in the bushing are lasting any better?? The 17-18's did not have the oil holes drilled. Also some have been running 12oz oil instead of the 8oz thats called for. I hope to see a fix for this soon. I hope Cat and Yamaha see this post. I am hesitant to take this sled on far away trip like to Canada. I much more trust my F1000 to get me home.
Put 8oz in and see if it shows on the sight glass! It's 12oz. Canada is so far away!!

Same here, except Im at 5400 miles of 270r tune. Original top gear is still tight, maybe there was a bad batch of bushings out there or something. I just had mine apart this week to weld the screws on the tensioner. I run mercruiser outdrive lube.

I guess it was 16 oz instead
Put 8oz in and see if it shows on the sight glass! It's 12oz. Canada is so far away!!
I guess I meant 12 instead of 8oz. Will use 16oz. Its not that Canada is far from here its just your trails are 100 miles from one place to another. Nobody wants a 50 mile tow. Been there before.

I was talking to shop owner that builds sidewinders here in Ontario at the drags in Petawawa two weeks ago and he has been having better luck with our chain cases running 75w140 synthetic gear oil. He thinks the motor oil tank being attached and proximity to turbo and muffler makes for a crazy hot chaincase and stock lube isn’t up to the job. He has been doing it with good results. It was first thing he mentioned when I told him I had a tuned winder. On a side note he had a weird fail on seriously built drag winder, it wouldn’t stay out of launch mode after he took off, made for some crazy noises but wrecked his race weekend!

Amsoil severe gear is among the highest quality gear oil there is and im not an amsoil peddler whatsoever.

Back