• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snub shaft, last question, promise!?!?

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
1)Can I just add green loctite through the front and back without removing the bearing from the housing? Yikes!!
2) has anyone loaded that bearing with isoflex grease? Thoughts? (Now I'm really sorry...ugh.
3) what grade of green loctite

IMG_20221123_082220389_copy_2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:

Pull it apart, clean housing and bearing shell with brakecleaner, apply locktite green, such #*$&@ 680 to outside bearing shell and bore of housing and press back together, dont mix greases, one or the other.

Pull it apart, clean housing and bearing shell with brakecleaner, apply locktite green, such #*$&@ 680 to outside bearing shell and bore of housing and press back together, dont mix greases, one or the other.
What grease goes in bearing? I use Lucas high tack (red) on jackshaft & driveshaft brgs.

Never greased one. Just replaced the assembly on my nytro with 20,000 plus miles on it. The bearing was dry and rough to turn.

Whatever you use, make sure it's rated for high temp (300F) and high RPM and high load. That bearing is carrying the load of the primary clutch + the load of pull of the belt + the load of the crankshaft and is turning at whatever RPM you're running at (9,000?). Also, lots of heat from all the load and the high RPM. If you're planning on just adding grease, make sure whatever you add is compatible with the grease that's already in bearing. Some types of grease are not compatible with others. Best to clean/wash out all old and re-grease with all new.

These pictures are out of my nytro manual. The sidewinder stub shaft does not have the ring gear on it for the crank sensor.

After reviewing this matter further, am i naive enough to believe this is acceptable product for bearing?
If in fact I can use it, does grease go bad. 30yrs old +/-
It seems to me after reading the full article I inserted earlier there are only two types of lithium grease one is a simple soap based and number two is complex
IMG_20221124_112420224_copy_1536x2048.jpg

Last edited:
I would not use 30 year old grease.
IMO, the Lucas one you mentioned earlier is a lithium complex. IMO a better choice.
This is from Lucas website: Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease is a smooth, tacky, red lithium complex grease fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors.

I would not use 30 year old grease.
IMO, the Lucas one you mentioned earlier is a lithium complex. IMO a better choice.
This is from Lucas website: Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease is a smooth, tacky, red lithium complex grease fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors.
Oh, hell.....I got that one 2! Hahaha.....thanks, turbo

When i did this on my my Nytro - the bearing's seal had a rigid washer imbedded in the rubber seal. So when you picked it out it was crimping it and leaving a dimple was tough to avoid. They may have changed the SW bearing, but if you have over 10,000 km on it and you have it apart - probably wise just to add a new bearing.
MS

Back