• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Awsome (sarcasam)
So now if i need to bring my sled in for service i cant escape this reflash fiasco???
Seems like The way this is going Im gonna end up being forced to purchase a spare ecu just to save my evo reflash.
WTF!
Any dealer worth a pinch of salt would abide by the customers wishes and inform them. But yes that is what it says.
FlashBulletin.jpg

I wonder what happens if you get a speeding ticket here in Ontario? They radar the trails! 25% over the displayed speed is a problem if it were on a car and this is a licensed vehicle.

Any dealer worth a pinch of salt would abide by the customers wishes and inform them. But yes that is what it says.
View attachment 124561

Sure, i get that.
Ive got a pretty good dealer (now) but as we all know, things get missed, things get forgotten. Things are left open to interpetation.
I once Had my sled at the dealer for a broken rear suspension arm (warranty repair)
I told them to fix anything else they found wrong (my exact words)
My interpetation of wrong, is broken or near broken.
When i picked up the sled there was almost 300 in additional service charges.
When i asked what they found wrong i was told the records showed my sled never had a chaincase oil change, a motor oil change, or a hyfax change. At the time the sled had almost 9000 miles on it, So they did all that.
I started to argue and explain i do that stuff myself and just changed the oil with a new filter and mobil1 full synthetic oil. then just gave up and said thanks.
Now i tell them dont touch anything unless you call me first.
It sucks but i have been burned somany times i cant count them all. Lol

I wonder what happens if you get a speeding ticket here in Ontario? They radar the trails! 25% over the displayed speed is a problem if it were on a car and this is a licensed vehicle.
Interesting point Hellflyer. Don't think it would help you if you tried to contest the ticket but you might have a claim against Yamaha. I also wonder what liability might attach to Yamaha should excessive speed was a contributing factor to a significant accident. I wonder if Transport Canada might be interested in this situation from a safety perspective?

That's kinda where I was going with that! Could be a safety issue if anyone actually rode using the speedo! LOL

See most speedo issues are in Canada. Anyone have this issue in the US yet?

I am sooooooo pissed off its unbelievable!!!!!!! My speedo is off, two attempts to start and my mileage sucks. The speedo says 30 mph and gps says 36. Last year the worst I saw was 2 mph difference and that was at top speed. No chance yet to go faster and see if it progressively gets worse as I had my 12 year old riding her sled and we are in LEARNING mode for her. I got 12 miles to the gallon on the last tank and that is the worst I have ever gotten. I'm sure this is partly due to conditions and the fact that the speedo I off, but last year I beat the crap out off this thing and the worst was 13.5 and riding easy I got 17 so as far as I am concerned this is bulls**t. I was very happy with my first new sled purchase ever but.........starting to think I should have went ski doo with all the troubles so far with this thing.... hard to believe you can go from happy to sad in such a short time!!!!!!!!!
Ryno and Testmaster did.

Thanks. I will be waiting to do the flash as long as I can.
Same here. Those that have kickbacks should try switching relays,ensure battery and connections are top notch and try getting the throttlebodies synced. Then if it still kicksback get flash as soon as possible. There is only one sled with issues in my area that I know of and its all modded big time now so nothing here to really go by as far as kickbacks go and none of us can be expected to try to induce a kickback by playing with key. I wont. Seen what it can do and its ugly. So until we can get a better electrical system and ecu we have to do what we can.

Last edited:
Season is short so riding is FIRST priority. Many have thought I was crazy for advising those with kickbacks to get the flash but you will lose the season if starter gear fails and job is done properly. Anything even a 2start and speedo that's off is worth the riding that's out there. Rest of us who aren't doing it are rolling the dice. I would not be able to continue here if even one person suggested my advice costed them a failed starter. It is your choice as with all mods or lack of done. I do know if I ever experienced a kickback I would do the flash.

My 14 has 5500 miles with PCV and no issues. 15 has 3500 miles stock with no issues. Running the flash done in fall of 14.

Dealer reflashed mine a second time for the odo/speedo problems. I tested it and my odo/speedo is very accurate now! (..and start very well)

Dealer reflashed mine a second time for the odo/speedo problems. I tested it and my odo/speedo is very accurate now! (..and start very well)
What did they do to get speedo correct?

Let me guess Cat has fixed the flash? Good we should see it by winters end then. Yes Yamaha this is a TEST.

Back