• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock Exhaust Silencer Started my sled on fire

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
IMG_7831.jpeg
IMG_7828.jpeg
IMG_7826.jpeg
IMG_7827.jpeg
IMG_7822.jpeg
IMG_7823.jpeg
Resized_20231202_124658_8309.jpeg
IMG_7811.jpeg
IMG_7813.jpeg
IMG_7807.jpeg
CB370B85-8581-4126-8C2D-E25BBFECBFCA.jpeg
IMG_7799.jpeg
IMG_7790.jpeg
IMG_7791.jpeg
IMG_7788.jpeg
IMG_7782.jpeg
IMG_7795.jpeg
IMG_7794.jpeg
IMG_7793.jpeg
IMG_7816.jpeg

Look for loose rivets and maybe even remove shield and inspect yearly for cracks. I was breaking trail in 1-2ft of powder all morning so it was getting a workout. I think the snow got in and cracked it. Don’t know but Guage went out,lost some power and saw flames going up my leg at same time. Immediately hit side of trail and started throwing snow. Ripped panel off. Buddy helped. It took a lot too put it out. If he wasn’t there I believe it would have burned to ground.
This is either a 2016 or 17 Stock silencer with low miles since I run other cans also. Anyway I believe the Viper will come up short on 30000 mi goal and 110mph documented. It did drive back to camp but the damage is everywhere. Everything plastic melted including gaskets and oil lines. She done well! Best sled I ever owned. Don’t let it happen to you!

Last edited:

:eek: Wow, Steve, that sucks! Still planning on making it to the TY Giveaway ride? Although it wasn't my sled, knowing the feeling of trying to put out a snowmobile on fire after the TY ride a few years with Ed's RX-1 that I and @maim rode with it and it caught on fire. Ed jumped ship after seeing flames so I rode up along side and hit kill switch and then proceeded to throw as much snow on it. Ed finally made it to the sled and if he hadn't and wasn't there to help put it out, it too would have went up in flames.

Glad to hear you're ok and hope to see you back on the trails again my friend. ;)!

That sucks!
My cousin had a 2014 same thing happened, but they got it out before much damage happened.
I think it was replaced with an improved version if I remember right.

glad you are ok. odds are there is one around that someone took the motor for a plane/helicopter that the chassis is just sitting around. i have faith you will get it back together at some point.

:eek: Wow, Steve, that sucks! Still planning on making it to the TY Giveaway ride? Although it wasn't my sled, knowing the feeling of trying to put out a snowmobile on fire after the TY ride a few years with Ed's RX-1 that I and @maim rode with it and it caught on fire. Ed jumped ship after seeing flames so I rode up along side and hit kill switch and then proceeded to throw as much snow on it. Ed finally made it to the sled and if he hadn't and wasn't there to help put it out, it too would have went up in flames.

Glad to hear you're ok and hope to see you back on the trails again my friend. ;)!
Of course I will be at Give Away ride!I bought a replacement sled today. Not what I really wanted but will get me riding. Trails here open tomorrow.

glad you are ok. odds are there is one around that someone took the motor for a plane/helicopter that the chassis is just sitting around. i have faith you will get it back together at some point.
It was fully insured so got that going today. I bought a affordable used sled from TA Motorsports today so I can ride now without stealing the Phazer from the Kids :) I will definitely buy it back from insurance if it makes sense and putting all stock parts back on as we speak in case I dont buy it back.

I had one here last year that had expanded in that same area and was against the magneto cover cap screw which was partially melted.
We hammered it back in and re-welded the spot welds which can be found under close inspection.
It would of had to have been from backfiring in the muffler.

I had one here last year that had expanded in that same area and was against the magneto cover cap screw which was partially melted.
We hammered it back in and re-welded the spot welds which can be found under close inspection.
It would of had to have been from backfiring in the muffler.
Mine has never backfired. I think it was the deep snow workout and silencer was hot and maybe snow hit it? More than likely its just junk

might have needed the diverter like the mountain max 700 had to help keep the exh clear.

I thought you ran the aftermarket exhaust?

Back