• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stub Shaft

Didnt he say in that post it wont work on the vipers? Or did i not understand correctly?

Didnt he say in that post it wont work on the vipers? Or did i not understand correctly?
It will work on vipers but you will have to use the Sidewinder flywheel,pickup and Sidecover. Supposedly all bolts on. Will call Dave at Hurricane to verify. Reason this intrigues me is two fold.
Our reluctor which is what triggers the pickup for ignition timing is on the stub shaft which is notoriously a sloppy fit to crankshaft which causes the rattle ing of clutch. No big deal to me but that slop also has to affect timing of both fuel and ignition since all timing ecu uses is determined by this. Someone here that I hope takes credit said Yamaha has a new stub shaft for the new Viper engines. I was going to see if this new shaft tightened up the tolerances which could be causing the erratic run quality of our sleds. Always thought this was a shitty design only done on the triples. Every other motor I have seen picks up directly on flywheel which is keyed and bolted directly to crank. No slop.

Second is the Hurricane stub shaft adds a lot of wieght to the crankshaft via Stubshaft. This will for sure be enough to noticeably change the characteristics of this motor. I believe all of you have heard me say my SRX was more 4 st like than my Viper. It loved a heavy load on engine. Well adding wieght to crank like this stub shaft does will make the Viper triple more 4st like without a doubt. I have seen the effect of much smaller amounts of wieght added to Dirtbike and quad singles and its dramatic. Much smoother,almost impossible to stall and will pull higher speeds. All issues with the Viper. Negative is it will rev slower.

Dave at Hurricane just called. Confirmed. Would need Sidecover,flywheel,pickup/stator. Along with the new Hurricane Stubshaft. All bolts right on a Viper. Wallets going to take a hit!

Dave at Hurricane just called. Confirmed. Would need Sidecover,flywheel,pickup/stator. Along with the new Hurricane Stubshaft. All bolts right on a Viper. Wallets going to take a hit!
Cost for the set up complete?

Cost for the set up complete?
Well the Stubshaft from Hurricane is $500. I am hoping to find the rest of parts used from a blown Winder motor. If not its easily over $500 more for the rest and I would be replacing the Stubshaft bearings since its out already.

Well the Stubshaft from Hurricane is $500. I am hoping to find the rest of parts used from a blown Winder motor. If not its easily over $500 more for the rest and I would be replacing the Stubshaft bearings since its out already.
This is very interesting.....

I know I will know if it works immediately on hearing the idle. Will the extra weight allow the motor to pull through poor conditions more easily? Maybe. I know it does on a dirtbike or quad. Getting rid of clutch rattle would really just be a nice side benefit for me.

Here's a thought for you. The 973 triples do not have a reluctor gear. They just have a pick up coil on stator. Maybe 973 parts would work?

1049's still have pick up coil on stator along with the reluctor gear and sensor.

998's only have the pick up coil on stator and it plugs in by the rectifier plugs in harness

If you swap to a 998 stator and fly wheel what do you plug into the reluctor sensor plug in harness? Just curious of the electrical logic to the swap.

Here's a thought for you. The 973 triples do not have a reluctor gear. They just have a pick up coil on stator. Maybe 973 parts would work? Maybe?

1049's still have pick up coil on stator along with the reluctor gear and sensor. Never knew that

998's only have the pick up coil on stator and it plugs in by the rectifier plugs in harness. On one plug? If so would have to separate.

If you swap to a 998 stator and fly wheel what do you plug into the reluctor sensor plug in harness? Just curious of the electrical logic to the swap. The 998 sensor.

never mind my question on logic. I was thinking of the apex. Apex has cam sensor and a pick up sensor on stator so was thinking there would be an empty plug if you swapping to a 998 triple stator. The 1049 does not have a pick up sensor on the stator.

I ohm tested the 973 pick up sensor and its around 212 ohms. The sidewinder sensor is around 500 ohms. Nytro/Viper sensor is around 460. Has anyone actually done the swap and confirmed it would work?

973 parts would be easy to track down and much cheaper.

never mind my question on logic. I was thinking of the apex. Apex has cam sensor and a pick up sensor on stator so was thinking there would be an empty plug if you swapping to a 998 triple stator. The 1049 does not have a pick up sensor on the stator.

I ohm tested the 973 pick up sensor and its around 212 ohms. The sidewinder sensor is around 500 ohms. Nytro/Viper sensor is around 460. Has anyone actually done the swap and confirmed it would work?

Wow thank you Travis! Yes others have done this. The number of triggers on flywheel is what matters from what I was told. Reluctor and Winder flywheel are same#.

I will do the Stubshaft last since is easy swap. I did specifically ask if this worked with stock ecu and was told yes.

You hit the issue Travis

Back