• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TAPP primary

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
Just wondering who has changed their primary clutch out to the TAPP? How is it working?

I'm curious too.

But have a look here.
PB-80 For SideWinder, ready for primetime.

Kind of an interesting statement from a fellow in know (68gmc) who has mega turbo and clutching experience with all the brands.

Is it really possible a PB80 could perform as well as a Tapp? I think it could, its good enough that Precision Sports is putting the dual spring PB80 setup on their 300+ HP Ski-Doo turbos.

Have a buddy in NY that is running a couple dual spring turbo pb80s on 290R tuned Winders. I have my dual springs in hand, but will need to machine the cup and spring seat before trying it out. My buddy is loving the dual spring pb80 setup.

Last edited:
I'm curious too.

But have a look here.
PB-80 For SideWinder, ready for primetime.

Kind of an interesting statement from a fellow in know (68gmc) who has mega turbo and clutching experience with all the brands.

Is it really possible a PB80 could perform as well as a Tapp? I think it could, its good enough that Precision Sports is putting the dual spring PB80 setup on their 300+ HP Ski-Doo turbos.

Have a buddy in NY that is running a couple dual spring turbo pb80s on 290R tuned Winders. I have my dual springs in hand, but will need to machine the cup and spring seat before trying it out. My buddy is loving the dual spring pb80 setup.
Mike....tell me more about this dual spring setup.

I had the pb80 on 1200 as you know, so what is the difference?

pb80 sure is a nice simple design, that has no arms/levers/rollers, so should be quiet and very little maintenance IMO. Last I checked pricing was under $5oo if i recall. So that is a killer price point.

I would love a TAPP and it surely is a wise investment if you are gonna own a winder or two or 3 over the yrs, can keep clutch and move to your next sled. Obviously alot more cash vs Pb80.

Dan

Mike....tell me more about this dual spring setup.

I had the pb80 on 1200 as you know, so what is the difference?

pb80 sure is a nice simple design, that has no arms/levers/rollers, so should be quiet and very little maintenance IMO. Last I checked pricing was under $5oo if i recall. So that is a killer price point.

I would love a TAPP and it surely is a wise investment if you are gonna own a winder or two or 3 over the yrs, can keep clutch and move to your next sled. Obviously alot more cash vs Pb80.

Dan

Dan,
As you know I bought the std. PB80. Well I put it on the other day and knew right away it wasn't right as it wouldn't hold the RPM. I called my buddy Keith in NY as I knew he had his on and running it, but I found out his was the dual spring high HP turbo dual spring setup. His held RPM fine and he claims it RPMed just as good in the deep snow as well as the hardpack, very consistent. So I called CVTech and they suggested I run the dual spring setup for the big power tunes up there at 270, 290 and 300 HP. I ordered up the dual springs and they gave me the spec for machining the cup and spring seat. I think they can also be ordered already setup with the dual spring. The dual springs cost me $120 to get here though!! Over $50 per spring and shipping on top. Talk about ridiculous pricing!

I didn't need the dual spring for my 1200 turbo Doo, but the winder must need it for the big tunes. Don't know, I know I just couldn't hold RPMs' with the 900-1300 spring mine came with.

The PB80 does get rid of all the clutch noise! I can't wait to get the machining done and try it again, but it will have to wait till next season now. Mid 40's predicted here this week and rain. PB80 and stock muffler tune bundle, imagine how quiet the machine could be!

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1352098-clutchs/?p=18202826

Dan,
As you know I bought the std. PB80. Well I put it on the other day and knew right away it wasn't right as it wouldn't hold the RPM. I called my buddy Keith in NY as I knew he had his on and running it, but I found out his was the dual spring high HP turbo dual spring setup. His held RPM fine and he claims it RPMed just as good in the deep snow as well as the hardpack, very consistent. So I called CVTech and they suggested I run the dual spring setup for the big power tunes up there at 270, 290 and 300 HP. I ordered up the dual springs and they gave me the spec for machining the cup and spring seat. I think they can also be ordered already setup with the dual spring. The dual springs cost me $120 to get here though!! Over $50 per spring and shipping on top. Talk about ridiculous pricing!

I didn't need the dual spring for my 1200 turbo Doo, but the winder must need it for the big tunes. Don't know, I know I just couldn't hold RPMs' with the 900-1300 spring mine came with.

The PB80 does get rid of all the clutch noise! I can't wait to get the machining done and try it again, but it will have to wait till next season now. Mid 40's predicted here this week and rain. PB80 and stock muffler tune bundle, imagine how quiet the machine could be!

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1352098-clutchs/?p=18202826
Awesome.......sounds like a really nice QUIET combo!

What would cost be in US, and who is selling this setup complete? I would be interested as these are such simple clutches to work with. Even if I buy a new 2020, It would save having to buy Dalton weights ect.

Dan

Dan you should be able to to get everything through Wowchad on this site. He is dealer for cvtech in WI. He should be able to to ship what you need in the US

I run a tapp on my sled. To me it is a great all around clutch. Infinite adjustments, runs cool great shift characteristics and best part of it not cheap junk like the stms that eat themselves to pieces on a 3 cylinder

As for the pb80 it is a great clutch for around the 200-220 hp range much more then that it is a compromise. A friend had one of the precision sports dual spring set up and a single spring over drive versions. With exact same secondary set ups and pulling the exact same rpm(8800) on 14 pounds of boost the dual spring was 3-4 mph slower through whole shift curve during back to runs with a VBOX sport. The dual spring started distort the cover on the hex shaft and the pucks at 14 pounds and was extremely hot

The TAPP clutch works great on my Cat 9000. With plus 2 rollers and a/b ramps it's a bit heavily clutched as you receive it. I would recommend only plus 1 rollers and the stiffer spring if anyone buys one. And whatever you are running for a helix, you will need less angle (IE stiffer secondary/higher RPM's) to offset the TAPP's extremely aggressive shift. I just finished 1100 miles last week and couldn't be happier. I have about 1600 total and it performs as new. No noise either!

Spoke with Tcat100 yesterday about set up on these clutches. He seems to have a grasp on what they want. Very helpful.
Super belt grab down low.

I run a tapp on my sled. To me it is a great all around clutch. Infinite adjustments, runs cool great shift characteristics and best part of it not cheap junk like the stms that eat themselves to pieces on a 3 cylinder

As for the pb80 it is a great clutch for around the 200-220 hp range much more then that it is a compromise. A friend had one of the precision sports dual spring set up and a single spring over drive versions. With exact same secondary set ups and pulling the exact same rpm(8800) on 14 pounds of boost the dual spring was 3-4 mph slower through whole shift curve during back to runs with a VBOX sport. The dual spring started distort the cover on the hex shaft and the pucks at 14 pounds and was extremely hot

Do you or anyone know how they compare in times and shift curve to the Yamaha and or the Team clutches?

Spoke with Tcat100 yesterday about set up on these clutches. He seems to have a grasp on what they want. Very helpful.
Super belt grab down low.

With all this talk about aftermarket primary’s I’m gonna give a shout out here.
For the same price as a Tapp 3 arm clutch you can buy a STM 4 arm billet clutch. If you think the Tapp can grab the belt as hard as a 4 arm STM.....not even close.
There has been rhetoric that the STM will wear out rollers and bushings prematurely. Well I have been running mine for over 5500 miles with no issues. I do plan to go through it this off season tho.
It accepts Sk-Doo springs so you have a HUGE variety of springs to choose from. You can also run any fly weights in this clutch. You can also run any belt width by shimming the spider.
One thing I don’t like about it is the noise, yes it clicks loud! I wear ear plugs anyway tho so not a big deal.
I will take a 4 arm any day over a 3 arm with tunes over 300hp. You can run a lot smaller weight per arm that way and I believe this helps with bushing wear.
M2C

When are you guys going to make a whole new sled and then stick with it? These remind me of my daughters LT80 race quad clutch. It’s still used in MOPEDS!

With all this talk about aftermarket primary’s I’m gonna give a shout out here.
For the same price as a Tapp 3 arm clutch you can buy a STM 4 arm billet clutch. If you think the Tapp can grab the belt as hard as a 4 arm STM.....not even close.
There has been rhetoric that the STM will wear out rollers and bushings prematurely. Well I have been running mine for over 5500 miles with no issues. I do plan to go through it this off season tho.
It accepts Sk-Doo springs so you have a HUGE variety of springs to choose from. You can also run any fly weights in this clutch. You can also run any belt width by shimming the spider.
One thing I don’t like about it is the noise, yes it clicks loud! I wear ear plugs anyway tho so not a big deal.
I will take a 4 arm any day over a 3 arm with tunes over 300hp. You can run a lot smaller weight per arm that way and I believe this helps with bushing wear.
M2C
TAPP is 4 arm while the pro4 has a 3arm setup and also a 4arm setup. Terry is selling the 3arm pro4 setup for Winders and having good reviews. IMO the TAPP has alot more reviews and for the most part all are very positive. Also very expensive but from the 1200 doo guys with big power reviews are good.

STMs have recently been having alot of bad reviews on the 998s.....Just what i've been reading more and more these last few months.

Dan

Back