• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tired Of Sloppy Steering At Plastic Bushing And Steel Collar

I'm going to order one this week from our local dealer and see how much$.

Personally the steering slop is nothing I notice riding, but it is definitely bad so might as well try to fix er up.

Just got it on order. Will be here in about a week, and its about $40.00 CDN. Looking forward to putting this on. It's oil change time so might as well get this in there. I'll take a before and after "slop test" and post the vids up when I do it.

Hey is it normal to have quite a bit of up/down play on this part of the steering? It seems to be contributing to the overall sloppiness (my thumb is pointing to it). I got the collector apart and WOW its crazy how much play is this thing!
WP_20150128_011.jpg

Last edited:
Well here is the Yamaha kit installed, and like 20/80 said it takes care of 95% of the slop. The only area yamaha did not address is the vertical play that UPBushman fixes with his kit. So if you are in a rush or get a great deal on it dont be afraid of the Yamaha kit. They are Japanese bearings and heavy friggin duty. The instructions were confusing, because they were photocopied or something and so dark you could hardly make out the pictures. Basically you only retain the black metal bushings and the rest, including washers, are thrown out.

Time will tell if its durable. I don't think this is being installed on production sleds (yet?) because I cannot see how this would wear out. Dealer gave us a discount and paid $39.99 for it.

How much do you want to bet Yamaha had seen UPBushmans kit!? They are just a few years too late, like seriously they could not have come out with this kit in 2008??? At any rate a big thank-you to UPBushman for getting this issue solved!

Attachments

• WP_20150203_004.jpg
    WP_20150203_004.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 242
  • WP_20150203_005.jpg
    WP_20150203_005.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 254
  • WP_20150203_003.jpg
    WP_20150203_003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 264
So is the Yamaha kit a better fix than the UP kit. If a guy already had the UP would the Yami kit be already other upgrade? I have the UP kit and it helped but it always bothered me that I had to back off the torque to get it not to bind. No offense.

Id leave what you got. Yam kit is great but does not address any vertical play issues like UP's

Easy? You have to dissasemble the steering and most of the sled... Do it when you are changing oil or something to make it worth your while.

I have the UP kit and it helped but it always bothered me that I had to back off the torque to get it not to bind.
I had the same problem, I sanded down the plastic washer just a little bit and then I could torque it correctly.

UPDATE

not sure if UP Bushman sells his kits anymore, but the Yamaha fix that has the SMA bearings.... is not great. I probably put on 500km on mine last year. I have it apart now getting ready for winter, and I was surprised at how sloppy it got. Better than the original stuff, yes. But not great by any means :mad:. Maybe I'll take a vid of the play I have and post it up.

Looks like the bearings just dont fit tight enough into the steering collector, tiny bit of room and they can rock side to side

Back