• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

4500 miles on toughmet3 bushing @270hp and still absolutely perfect. Too bad this bushing has been discontinued.

I believe they will still make them... but it would be a special order and there will likely be a minimum order quantity to purchase them. It would be nice to order them with the correct ID so that they don't have to be reamed/honed out to fit the shaft after pressing them in the gear but I have no idea how many thousandths of material I am removing when I do that (I don't have the proper tools to measure that).

I wonder how these would hold up.
You would have to turn them down to size
Anything sintered doesn't have the same load capacity as solid-cast. I am pretty sure a standard SAE660 cast bronze bushing would have a higher load tolerance than the ones you posted.

I have 8 of the SAE660 cast bronze bushings that I could sell... if you are looking for bushings. I bought a group of them before I found out about the ToughMet3 material. I ended up buying the ToughMet3 and the SAE660 cast bronze bushings got shelved.

OK. I looked up my research that I had from when I was looking for bushings.

The sintered iron/copper bushing that was posted has a max Pv of 75,000 but that is a 1-1/2" long bushing and the spec is for use of that whole length. You would need to cut down the length to 7/8"-1" long which would reduce that value.

The Bunting SAE660 cast bronze bushing #CB161808 also has a max Pv of 75,000
The Bunting Eco Bronze bushing #EBCB161808 has a max Pv of 100,000
The Bunting ToughMet3 bushing #TMCB161808 that @SPM and I are running has a max Pv value of 275,000

Typical Pv value for the stock, teflon-coated type of bushing is around 40,000-50,000 but it seems like it should be lower since the teflon coating gets "pushed" off the bronze layer underneath.

I believe that "Pv" is a number that is related to the maximum pressure (load) at the maximum velocity, but I would have to look that up in more detail to be certain.

Back