• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Want HOT hands?..It can be done!!! EDITED FIRST POST

Wired Grips Wrong?

"Series" means voltage goes into one grip then out through the second grip before reaching electrical ground.

"Parallel" wiring would mean each grip has it's own power and ground.

Most Hot Grips® are wired in "Series", so that each grip only effectively gets 6 volts on a 12 volt system.

If your grips are mistakenly wired in "Parallel", then each grip is working off 12volts, which would mean the load on the electrical system would be 60 watts per grip instead of 15. This is far too great, and if your system could keep up with this demand, the grips would melt, but more likely your electrical system would overload.
--------------------------------
"Parallel" to "Series" = Cold
"Series" to Parallel = Hot
--------------------------------

Hammer, I was thinking this way at first. But if you write it down on paper, you are really just wasting power on the resistors. . I think the only way to probably lose the least amount of power to the resistors is use a low ohm resistor in series with the grips in parallel.

So say for example the grips are 2.2 Ohms
Parallel Value 1.1 Ohms (R1*R1)/(R1+R1)
Now add a series resistor (0.5 Ohms) + 1.1 of the grips
Total System power would draw 90 Watts
Approx 31 to each grip
28 To the resistor

The question is though, is 90 Watts still to much for the system. It may be,
but it's better then 131Watts.
I made an excel spreadsheet on this, I'll try to upload it. You can play with values on Grip 1, Grip2 and Resistor

Oh yeah, I was also trying to draw up plans for a voltage regulation circuit. If I can make a 9V regulated system that can handle the current. This would also be doable. But I am so far removed from EE, I wouldn't be the one to do this. Does any one have current knowledge of regulated supplies such as the old standard 7805 5Volt 1 amp. clearly this wouldn't be enough. Just seing if anyone knows about a 9Volt regulator that can handle the wattage.

HAMMER said:
Hobby shop, Radio Shack, Online

Like here for instance (TEH70 Series Resistor):
http://www.ohmite.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi

2 each (one for each grip) 2-Ohm 70-Watt heat sinkable (because they will get hot) resistors. Mount them to the Deltabox or Bulkhead or Tunnel or Footwell to help them dissipate their heat. Nowhere near anything that melts or goes boom like the fuel tank.

Stock 2006 Series Wiring

Both Grips (12 Volts @ 4.4 Ohms = 2.7 Amps & 32.7 Watts)(16.3 each)

Stock 2006 Modified to Parallel Wiring No resistors

Left Grip (12 Volts @ 2.2 Ohms = 5.5 Amps & 65.5 Watts)
Right Grip (12 Volts @ 2.2 Ohms = 5.5 Amps & 65.5 Watts)
Combined System Draw (12 Volts @ 11 Amps & 131 Watts)

Say you want about double the wattage of the stock 16-Watts per grip so say about 32 Watts per grip. Adding 2-Ohms each will get you close.

Add a 2-Ohm/70-Watt resistor to each grip:
Left Grip (12 Volts @ 4.2 Ohms = 2.8 Amps & 34 Watts)
Right Grip (12 Volts @ 4.2 Ohms = 2.8 Amps & 34 Watts)
Combined System Draw (12 Volts @ 5.6 Amps & 68 Watts)

Attachments

• resistance.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 166
I think Yamaha must be laughing at us now because we can't even figure out the difference between series and parallel. Electricity is mysterious stuff.

Not mysterious. Hammer is correct. Going from series to parallel will quadruple the current, and therfore the power (given a constant voltage). I am not sure, but it appears that toggling the setting with the thumb control varies the voltage to the grips and therefore the current and power. There is no need to add a resistor unless you want to limit how hot you can get it. If you don't want max heat, just don't go over 2 bars (or whatever). Obviously the system can handle the load because Machzd has done it with no dimming lights or other signs of the power being sucked down. We will see long term, but it seems if you are careful not to turn it up too high and leave it there, you will have warm hands with no issues on power draw. If you aren't careful you might burn your hands or even cause the grips to melt eventually and maybe even a fire. That's why Yammie won't sanction it. But just turn it down when your hands are warm and there should be no issues.

they arent laughing...they might be nervously watching...if they did it right in the first place we wouldnt be trying to do their job on here....we should see who's in charge of their sled division's electrical system's engineering...he's been out for two many three martini lunches lately

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

I'm not trying to bash anyone or correct anyone. Sorry if I come across that way. I am just worried about the draw on the system. As far as not needing resistors, I am only suggesting to do so to reduce the total power if you are worried about it. Just trying to be helpful. If you don't mind the 131 Watt draw if a true 12V is put across the circuit. I'm just trying to find ways to limit the amount from your electrical system. Going from 30 Watts to 131 Watts is a little worrysome. And again, who knows maybe there is current limiting circuitry already in place. (Adjusting the heat grip level) We may be worried for no reason at all. Has someone hooked up an Amp meeter ? Again the Proper way to do this is with voltage regulation. That's why I was asking if anyone had EE experience. I can tell you this though, I would double the wattage by putting in a .5 ohm resistor and take away 40 Watts of total draw. I'm going to do so. Can't risk doing damage to a 11K machine.

yamahey said:
Not mysterious. Hammer is correct. Going from series to parallel will quadruple the current, and therfore the power (given a constant voltage). I am not sure, but it appears that toggling the setting with the thumb control varies the voltage to the grips and therefore the current and power. There is no need to add a resistor unless you want to limit how hot you can get it. If you don't want max heat, just don't go over 2 bars (or whatever). Obviously the system can handle the load because Machzd has done it with no dimming lights or other signs of the power being sucked down. We will see long term, but it seems if you are careful not to turn it up too high and leave it there, you will have warm hands with no issues on power draw. If you aren't careful you might burn your hands or even cause the grips to melt eventually and maybe even a fire. That's why Yammie won't sanction it. But just turn it down when your hands are warm and there should be no issues.

Extreme_Yamaha said:
I'm not trying to bash anyone or correct anyone. Sorry if I come across that way. I am just worried about the draw on the system. As far as not needing resistors, I am only suggesting to do so to reduce the total power if you are worried about it. Just trying to be helpful. If you don't mind the 131 Watt draw if a true 12V is put across the circuit. I'm just trying to find ways to limit the amount from your electrical system. Going from 30 Watts to 131 Watts is a little worrysome. And again, who knows maybe there is current limiting circuitry already in place. (Adjusting the heat grip level) We may be worried for no reason at all. Has someone hooked up an Amp meeter ? Again the Proper way to do this is with voltage regulation. That's why I was asking if anyone had EE experience. I can tell you this though, I would double the wattage by putting in a .5 ohm resistor and take away 40 Watts of total draw. I'm going to do so. Can't risk doing damage to a 11K machine.

I could not agree more!!

Attachments

• Caveman.jpg
    Caveman.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 2006 Owners Manual.jpg
    2006 Owners Manual.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 2007 Owners Manual.jpg
    2007 Owners Manual.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 153
OK, I'm intrigued. I know the 06 bars were parallel and the update puts them in series like the older sleds.

That leaves me with a question. Since I put an '06 bar on my '05 sled that was originally wired in series, I wired the '06 bar in series also by clipping the connectors off and wiring it like my '05 was. No resistor or anything. Reading this thread the grips shoud be scorching hot right? They aren't. They get warm but I need to keep them all the way up. What am I missing?

Sorry to keep things going...

Wire them the other way ;)!

I believe that the 06 Grips are in series and the 07s are in parallel, the other way don't make any sense to me.

Like I said wire at your own risk :die

I'll try moving things around but from what I understood, 2006 was an oddball year that wired them parallel with two separate double wire connectors and the update jumper puts them back to series like the previous years. My '05 had scorching grips until I put the '06 bar on. It is wired the same way the '05 was.

Everyone please type slow and maybe I'll get it!

confused about grips

ok i am tottally confused with all this back and forth talk about bars. I have an 06 gt and yes the grips are not that hot, what do i do, i dont understand the wiring harness , is this something i purchase and how do i install it :rocks:

I think Carlos Mencia has a phrase to describe most of you who cannot figure this out

"deet de dee" :home:
Kudos to machzed and hammer for pioneering this thread.

Will do this as soon as my sled thaws from the deep freeze, will have to put up with cold hands till then.

order the updated bar kit..use the harness from the kit with your 06 bars...

keep the 07 bars for backups

Back