• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What kind of safety equipment are you carrying?

adrenaline junkey said:
wimps that's what tree bark is for :tg:

Nothing good for us mountain riders, no trees above the treeline, may have to ride all day to get to the nearest forest, so yes toilet paper is important.

I carry water and food, a compass, maps are inside my head, that's about it. And of course my mobile, but I don't trust electronics at all out in the cold. Good clothing that will keep me warm. And I ride with my friends if I can, riding alone is when you get into trouble, even tho I ride alone a lot.

Respect the weather and the area you are riding in. If local says it's dangerous it probably is.

Ride safely.

;)!

Wolfs killing people, seriously, do they, never heard of that, northern european (russia, finland, sweden, norway) wolves does not. The encounter is scary tho :die

Super Sled said:
adrenaline junkey said:

.380 ACP?

That'll keep any wolves at bay who mind try to snack on a yummy injured, broke down snowmobiler!

yea acp a little mustang

I have heard of a few close encounters but no confirmed killings yet and im sure not going to be the first. it weighs under 16 ounces why not carry?

I pretty much carry everything under the sun.
Folding Saw
Knife
Lighter
Matches
Fire starter
candles
mirror
whistle
compass
strobe light
flash light
leathermans
zip ties
emergency blanket
trash bag
bailing wire
extra batteries
light sticks
avy probe
avy beacon (on me)
first aid kit
toilet paper
map
shovel
two way radio
cell phone
hand and foot warmers
trail marking tape
socks
gloves
knit hat

And this is a lot of stuff, but it fits in my Dakine backpack. Some of the stuff I placed in vacuum bags like the candles, whistle, fire starter, etc. My buddies always make comment on if they were to get stuck, they would want it with me.

rxrider said:
Wolfs killing people, seriously, do they, never heard of that, northern european (russia, finland, sweden, norway) wolves does not. The encounter is scary tho :die

If they do it would be very very rare! Coyotes on the other hand I am not to sure about they are very oppurtunistic. The ones to really watch out for are those dang Sled Dogs. lol

Dimebag said:
Thats a lot of stuff.

How big is your backpack? What kind of safety blanket are you carrying?

It's a Dakine Pro II. It's about 21"H X 12"W X 6"D. I notice the new Pro II packs look a little different. Mine's a few years old. Tons of pockets with a shovel pocket as well. With all the stuff in there, the pack doesn't weigh much, but once you put in the hydrosack, it starts to get a little heavy. Most of that stuff I carry fits in a few of these 4"W X 12" L gear bags that I place in the bag pack so none of the stuff in in there loose. I will take a picture later on and post up what it looks like. Not sure what kind of safety blanket. It's just one of those that fold up small and is reflective silver.

Ok.

I also carry a safety blanket, but should have purchased some more of them to have in the backpack.. for my friends which are too cool to carry one themselves..

Ouch.. Glad you made it home safe.

We also got stranded some years ago.. Suddenly we ran into a snowstorm in early february.. dark and windy. No GPS, no safety equipment at all. Two sleds broke down of a total 5 sleds. And of course, no satellites available for our phones..

Somehow we found a cabin after some hours. That was the greatest luck we have ever had riding. The guys at the cabin guided us home with their GPS.

Funny thing was that we were only 4 kms away from our camp when we found the cabin.. Didnt have a clue where we was cause of the weather..

The first thing I did when i got back home was to buy a GPS, and some other safety equipment.

Only thing I thrust is a compass and a good map, they never break down.

A GPS is a nice tool tho as long as battery power is good and temps are not too low.

Back