• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What The @#$% Now?

Sorry to see that...obviously not good.
Now decision time...fix the sled or part it out.
There are a couple Apex engines for sale on Ebay @ $2000.00 cndn, looks like they are in the States so you could get it shipped to Pembina ND and go pick it up.
I am sure there a lot of other options as well.

Sorry to see that. Like Kinger said, how many miles?

Ok. Was hoping it was the head gasket because of the way the air was blowing from one to the other cyl but.... no.
This is what I found.
View attachment 152787 View attachment 152788
So do you have any idea what may have caused that? Looks like it got hot, did it detonate or did the piston hit something? can't really tell by the picture? Been there, I think I still have 3 good pistons, maybe 700kms on them.

So do you have any idea what may have caused that? Looks like it got hot, did it detonate or did the piston hit something? can't really tell by the picture? Been there, I think I still have 3 good pistons, maybe 700kms on them.
Needs a piston but also will need a head. Cylinder wall is not scored so that is the good part.

Sorry to hear this Steiner, you will be up and going in no time, be good for another 13000 miles plus, does not happen very often but does happen from time to time, keep us posted.

Unfortunate for sure!

At least you tore into at home; not having a failure 100 miles away. I'm impressed with how fast you tore it down! ;)!

Seen something similar to this happen in diesel engines when an injector leaks. Excess fuel washes out the carbon, thins the lubrication in the cylinder and increases the internal cylinder temp. If the leak is concentrated in a particular spot (say where the intake air pushes into the cylinder or the spray from the leak is in a direction to a specific spot in the cylinder) the piston lands can overheat and either melt or stress crack in that area. Not sure how the injector sprays into the cylinders on this engine, but on direct injection diesels, that can happen.

Plus not to mention that a leaking injector of course puts raw fuel into the cylinder and similar to a diesel, once the compression causes enough of a temperature rise in the cylinder, the fuel will ignite causing premature detonation. And if the fuel amount is significant enough, complete combustion will not occur in the combustion chamber and combustion can continue into the exhaust system. Not sure what that would sound like in an aluminum block engine (my experience in diesels is with cast iron components), but it could account for some of the weird noises you where hearing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Unfortunate for sure!

At least you tore into at home; not having a failure 100 miles away. I'm impressed with how fast you tore it down! ;)!

Makes me wonder what I did wrong. The cylinder that went down I did not touch.
Only thing that I could possibly dream of happening is that a rivet head that I drilled out bounce 2 feet up and sideways into the back of the open Y pipe and then rolled all the way down thru the flex pipe into the cylinder.
Tried shaking the exhaust pipes around to see if anything would come rolling out but nothing did.
Maybe the flux capacitor had something to do with it. :p

Found a low mile motor close by. It had a MPI Stage II supercharger on it. He states that it has 175psi on all 4 cyl.
Hope to go see it this week.

Makes me wonder what I did wrong. The cylinder that went down I did not touch.
Only thing that I could possibly dream of happening is that a rivet head that I drilled out bounce 2 feet up and sideways into the back of the open Y pipe and then rolled all the way down thru the flex pipe into the cylinder.
Tried shaking the exhaust pipes around to see if anything would come rolling out but nothing did.
Maybe the flux capacitor had something to do with it. :p

Found a low mile motor close by. It had a MPI Stage II supercharger on it. He states that it has 175psi on all 4 cyl.
Hope to go see it this week.
That's a possibilty. It looks as though something foreign was bouncing around in there getting hammered between piston and head

Probably wise to check the plugs once its up and running and make sure they are clean and dry. If that FI was bad it will soak the plug while the other 3 will be dry.

Snagged a 3500 mile motor this evening. Motor was still in the sled. Got to fire it up and it sounded so much better than mine I had to buy it.
20200204_210254.jpg
20200204_210456.jpg

Back