• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Worn secondary bushings symptoms?

ClutchMaster

HUGE Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper 270 hurricane,
2002 Viper W/162 A.C. skid, SRX pipes &CDI, 780 BB
Cause what most of the time?
High RPM’s ?
Low RPM’s?
Both?
Just noise?
Symptoms in general?

Your experience and thoughts?

Especially pertaining to this new Sidewinder roller?

I get a weird Vibration at about 40 mph and 60 mph almost like a bearing and the clutch rattles louder then normal. Sorry I thought this was for rollers.. not sure on secondary bushing.

Cause what most of the time?
High RPM’s ?
Low RPM’s?
Both?
Just noise?
Symptoms in general?

Your experience and thoughts?

Especially pertaining to this new Sidewinder roller?

I've never experienced worn secondary bushings, if its like the primary the RPM would be low, however its the driven, and maybe then it would bind not allowing shift out and RPM would be higher and perhaps blowing belts.

Who has worn secondary bushing?

One thing to note. The secondary needs bolted together to see the movement, slop or bind. You can't just check the movable on he shaft alone as it will always wobble on that short bushing. There has to be enough clearance that when it heats up it does not bind and stock to the shaft and not slide easily.

I've never experienced worn secondary bushings, if its like the primary the RPM would be low, however its the driven, and maybe then it would bind not allowing shift out and RPM would be higher and perhaps blowing belts.

Who has worn secondary bushing?

One thing to note. The secondary needs bolted together to see the movement, slop or bind. You can't just check the movable on he shaft alone as it will always wobble on that short bushing. There has to be enough clearance that when it heats up it does not bind and stock to the shaft and not slide easily.
True, I've seen many people assume they have sloppy bushings until I tell them to bolt it together without the springs and then check.
One sign of worn bushings is the surface coating worn off.

this happened on my STM secondary. Bushing felt ok, but once I installed a $10 new one I saw how much tighter it was. Vibration gone.

Vibration I had a cat with the older roller secondary, when the center bushing wore I had bad vibration, I didn’t know what it was until one of the sheaves started to wobble, way bad, had to drive back slow, when I put on stand you could see it.

Thanks guys lots of good replies. John the Frenchman was wondering why his rpm’s were lower after replacing his bushings.
I’ve seen high rpm’s on an old ski-doos button secondary. The bushing on the helix was so worn that it wouldn’t shift out properly.

I have had my engine bog down on my nytro while accelerating at 70 mph. Worn secondary bushing would cause my secondary to bind. After replacing bushing the bog went away.
On the sidewinder it could just snap the belt if it binds.

Back