• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

A stuck 2 stroke is still heavy. I broke trail last year for 15 miles in 2 feet of somewhat settled snow, and a new ripsaw 2 and the curves keeping the front of the apex up was all I needed. Did an excellent job. Don't need no stinkin 2 stroke!!lol

I'm hearing more and more riders saying "you know what my next sled will be a four stroke " young an old people. At almost every stop, a few guys saying that. Usually after they ask, how it is riding a four stroke? In a lot of cases it's those riders we come onto and pass ( safely of course.) Then they go onto to saying "ya it's sounds pretty good not worrying about oil and rebuilds" and continue with, I hardly get my sled stuck and don't have to pick it up anyways, and I add, Yup I don't carry my sled I ride it.
A young 20 something farm kid friend, on ski doo (ok, I am responsible for all these guys riding ski doo, as I rode them and they were cat people, and I'd sell them mine every 2 years ...for two stroke reasons..lol), well, he rode a viper last year and loved it. But can't give up ski doo! Brand loyalty runs deep in many...wait til he rides the winder!!! I bet you 70/30 he will decline the offer. Some just don't want to know.

Well.. I bleed blue and have a lot of Yamaha 4 stroke products that I have been very happy with over the years, don't get me wrong I have owned all the other brands also had gotten my hands black a few times in the past, but what's kinda funny is when you think of 4 stroke snowmobiles most people think Yamaha, but fact is Ski Doo sell more 4 stroke snowmobiles than Yamaha according to snow trax television, I for one would not have thought that.

Well.. I bleed blue and have a lot of Yamaha 4 stroke products that I have been very happy with over the years, don't get me wrong I have owned all the other brands also had gotten my hands black a few times in the past, but what's kinda funny is when you think of 4 stroke snowmobiles most people think Yamaha, but fact is Ski Doo sell more 4 stroke snowmobiles than Yamaha according to snow trax television, I for one would not have thought that.
Me either. I have yet to see a 4 stroke ski doo in the circles I run in. Lots of doos, zero 4 strokes. Interesting!

Am I seeing ""FOUR"" exhaust ports in some of those drafts !!! A four cyl. in a ""NEW"" lightweight carbon fiber chassis!!! Please, please Yamaha don't be teasing us like this !!!

Last edited:
I'm I seeing ""FOUR"" exhaust ports in some of those drafts !!! A four cyl. in a ""NEW"" lightweight carbon fiber chassis!!! Please, please Yamaha don't be teasing us like this !!!
They are using the pro cross chassis as a base drawing, points on the drawing use reinforced carbon fibre with infused plastic to keep the carbon fibre from cracking and keeping its strength in the cold, the drawing you are seeing is not the actual chassis but points out area's to be considered when building a new chassis with carbon fibre plastic to make the new chassis lighter without compromising strength, a new chassis for Yamaha is being tested as we speak.

I think so, they now have a new head office closer to the snow belt for testing, hired some big names in the snowmobile industry to help with design, offered a totally new high tech engine design for a snowmobile, also helped a competitor in the snowmobile industry with better fit and finish and supplied them with engines to boot, they did all this for their customers with a promise ..that you haven't seen anything yet, ..yeah.. I would say they care.

They keep saying you havn't seen anything yet and they are right, they have kept promising something new since long before the Cat deal. All they have done Yamaha wise is refine the hell out the Apex (thankyou by the way) Shoehorned a Nytro engine into a Cat chassis (poorly done with no chassis change) and built a turbo engine and dropped it into a Cat chassis (still no chassis change).

I have to ask, what do they care about? They havn't built a new Yamaha since the Phazer. They have built one new engine for Cat and Cat let them put a Yamaha sticker on it. Thats it their claim to fame, Cat gets a turbo engine and steals Yamaha's thunder (pun intended). The Thundercat was heralded as the top powerhouse while Yamaha hardly got a mention. But honestly as Cat built the chassis and Yamaha got a sticker copy, reality is that's all they deserve.

Yamaha wants to impress the sled industry they need to build a sled. Letting your competition build your sleds for you does nothing to impress the industry, it just says you suck as a sled designer, builder and company!

Again anytime Yamaha wants to prove me wrong they can feel free to do so! Till then there are only three sled builders!

The reason is as a trail/ touring sled they are good reliable sleds. If they ever build a 150hp version of it they will have one more customer!

I'm I seeing ""FOUR"" exhaust ports in some of those drafts !!! A four cyl. in a ""NEW"" lightweight carbon fiber chassis!!! Please, please Yamaha don't be teasing us like this !!!

Yep a four cylinder engine in a new carbon fiber chassis, where do I sign up for one?

They keep saying you havn't seen anything yet and they are right, they have kept promising something new since long before the Cat deal. All they have done Yamaha wise is refine the hell out the Apex (thankyou by the way) Shoehorned a Nytro engine into a Cat chassis (poorly done with no chassis change) and built a turbo engine and dropped it into a Cat chassis (still no chassis change).

I have to ask, what do they care about? They havn't built a new Yamaha since the Phazer. They have built one new engine for Cat and Cat let them put a Yamaha sticker on it. Thats it their claim to fame, Cat gets a turbo engine and steals Yamaha's thunder (pun intended). The Thundercat was heralded as the top powerhouse while Yamaha hardly got a mention. But honestly as Cat built the chassis and Yamaha got a sticker copy, reality is that's all they deserve.

Yamaha wants to impress the sled industry they need to build a sled. Letting your competition build your sleds for you does nothing to impress the industry, it just says you suck as a sled designer, builder and company!

Again anytime Yamaha wants to prove me wrong they can feel free to do so! Till then there are only three sled builders!
a lot of Yamaha die hard customers are getting frustrated with the sled division, and I understand some venting helps, I for one try to stay positive though, Yamaha has made steps in the right direction to resurrect their sled division, the moving of their head office, new turbo snowmobile engine, patented carbon fibre plastic to be used in a chassis, bringing back the 540 2 stroke, new youth sled, all new engineers to move Yamaha into cutting edge designs and engine development, all this took time after Yamaha took a major hit in Japan with a natural disaster, Yamaha had to do something to keep their customers after the disaster in Japan, signing with Cat for their chassis shows their dedication to snowmobiles and their customers, they did this to gain time so Yamaha could realign and this is what is taking place and they are getting closer........ Patience Grasshopper.

a lot of Yamaha die hard customers are getting frustrated with the sled division, and I understand some venting helps, I for one try to stay positive though, Yamaha has made steps in the right direction to resurrect their sled division, the moving of their head office, new turbo snowmobile engine, patented carbon fibre plastic to be used in a chassis, bringing back the 540 2 stroke, new youth sled, all new engineers to move Yamaha into cutting edge designs and engine development, all this took time after Yamaha took a major hit in Japan with a natural disaster, Yamaha had to do something to keep their customers after the disaster in Japan, signing with Cat for their chassis shows their dedication to snowmobiles and their customers, they did this to gain time so Yamaha could realign and this is what is taking place and they are getting closer........ Patience Grasshopper.

If you know something the rest of us don't, that all sounds great. I am one of those frustrated customers and please don't take this the wrong way but if the development process takes 5 years that means the Yamaha pipeline has been empty since somewhere around 2003. The earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disaster took place in 2011. Can you share with us why the pipeline was so empty?

If you know something the rest of us don't, that all sounds great. I am one of those frustrated customers and please don't take this the wrong way but if the development process takes 5 years that means the Yamaha pipeline has been empty since somewhere around 2003. The earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disaster took place in 2011. Can you share with us why the pipeline was so empty?
2003? around that time Yamaha was in the process converting to 4 strokes and gave us all a gift, the RX1 motor, there has been plenty of new tech sense than, don't take this the wrong way but ...what dimension and year are you living in?

2003? around that time Yamaha was in the process converting to 4 strokes and gave us all a gift, the RX1 motor, there has been plenty of new tech sense than, don't take this the wrong way but ...what dimension and year are you living in?

My bad. That didn't come out right. 2008 was the last new sled Yamaha introduced. If there is a five year development period, that means the nytro started development in 2003 so the engineers are busy till 2008. So 2008-2011?? Tsunami to 2018?? What's in the pipeline after the Nytro? Nothing of significance unless you are counting bolt on stuff like performance dampeners, skis, Xup, and power steering. These are nice improvements but not one of them is on their flagship model except their engine. I hope you are right, but over the years many have said including Yamaha to be patient. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Back