• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

My bad. That didn't come out right. 2008 was the last new sled Yamaha introduced. If there is a five year development period, that means the nytro started development in 2003 so the engineers are busy till 2008. So 2008-2011?? Tsunami to 2018?? What's in the pipeline after the Nytro? Nothing of significance unless you are counting bolt on stuff like performance dampeners, skis, Xup, and power steering. These are nice improvements but not one of them is on their flagship model except their engine. I hope you are right, but over the years many have said including Yamaha to be patient. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
I don't think personally that the sidewinder is Yamaha's flag ship the motor is but I think the Apex is with the 50th anniversary model for this year, I think we have to count the bolt on stuff because its new tech and a improvement to the sled, this is how Yamaha likes to test on the sly, like the vector with a all new engine and rear suspension with the all new mode settings on the engine, Yamaha was working with Cat long before the signed agreement, the pro cross chassis was initially built to house the 1049 Yamaha engine but Cat retrofitted the Suzuki engine to fit it first, before the new snow scoot Cat built a 120 youth sled for Yamaha painted blue of course, a few years before the signed contract they were sleeping together, Yamaha will come out with a new light weight cutting edge chassis to house some new high tech turbo snowmobile engines, Yamaha liked the relationship with Cat but Textron is part of the equation now, Yamaha will make the move away, they are almost lined up to do so. and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

a lot of Yamaha die hard customers are getting frustrated with the sled division, and I understand some venting helps, I for one try to stay positive though, Yamaha has made steps in the right direction to resurrect their sled division, the moving of their head office, new turbo snowmobile engine, patented carbon fibre plastic to be used in a chassis, bringing back the 540 2 stroke, new youth sled, all new engineers to move Yamaha into cutting edge designs and engine development, all this took time after Yamaha took a major hit in Japan with a natural disaster, Yamaha had to do something to keep their customers after the disaster in Japan, signing with Cat for their chassis shows their dedication to snowmobiles and their customers, they did this to gain time so Yamaha could realign and this is what is taking place and they are getting closer........ Patience Grasshopper.

As I said they can prove me wrong anytime they want too! Problem is at the pace Yamaha does anything I'll be long dead and buried before it may happen! Past experience has shown me that they move at an agonizing slow pace. The 2011 was a leap forward (that most never saw) from the 06 to 10 sled but still they could not for the life of them build a rear skid that worked like the big three. It was why I thought they had partnered with Cat, Yamaha gets a rear skid, Cat gets a motor! Boy did my face get red! Big build up, even bigger let down! Embarrassing and I fell for it!

Yamaha is full of dreams and the faithfull where full of hope but but dreams fade and hope dwindles! With 2011 being the last real refinement of the flagship sled and the 2018 being the last of them, add to that moving their line of sleds to Cat to build you can quickly see where dreams and hope have been stomped on and ground into the dirt. Where is the 5 new sleds in 5 years from Yamaha they built everyone up on? A cobbled Viper/7000 and a Sidewinder/ThunderCat, I count two sleds and both are cobbled together Cat sleds! So yes they have moved an office to Canada, makes sense closer to the snow. One can buy into the hype and dream/hope for a carbon fiber chassis. They have more then one patent (companies create patents to block others like say even Cat from building them does not mean they will) this made me hope for one with the Apex engine but I have become very Jaded. For me no Apex engine is a kinda deal breaker, I don't want a turbo and I don't want a triple with less hp. I can buy a Ski-Doo with less hp and a better chassis so why buy one with a Cat chassis?

With all the effort put into the Cat alliance one can also assume that they just moved closer to build 540's and design new engines for Cat or Trenton while improving on the assembly of Yamaha badged sleds! The patents they have filed could even be to stop shared knowledge from being used by Trenton. I hope they buy out Cat and take over the design and building of Pure Yamaha sleds in the way that other car company's have done. All four strokes are Yamaha all two strokes are Cat. Reduce competing with each other and for gods sake reduce the plethora of sleds to choose from. Combine all dealer ships to sell both. Cat and Yamaha then have separate identity's that one can align with! As it stands now there is only one to align with, Arctic-Cat!

2003? around that time Yamaha was in the process converting to 4 strokes and gave us all a gift, the RX1 motor, there has been plenty of new tech sense than, don't take this the wrong way but ...what dimension and year are you living in?
That answer was a bit rude and uncalled for! Please refrain from belittling someone because you disagree with their opinion! Basically the 2018 is no more then a refined 2003. I have both an 05 and an 11, yes they are night a day different but take off the 2011 plastic and the 2003 roots are plain to see. Just refinement past that!

I don't think personally that the sidewinder is Yamaha's flag ship the motor is but I think the Apex is with the 50th anniversary model for this year, I think we have to count the bolt on stuff because its new tech and a improvement to the sled, this is how Yamaha likes to test on the sly, like the vector with a all new engine and rear suspension with the all new mode settings on the engine, Yamaha was working with Cat long before the signed agreement, the pro cross chassis was initially built to house the 1049 Yamaha engine but Cat retrofitted the Suzuki engine to fit it first, before the new snow scoot Cat built a 120 youth sled for Yamaha painted blue of course, a few years before the signed contract they were sleeping together, Yamaha will come out with a new light weight cutting edge chassis to house some new high tech turbo snowmobile engines, Yamaha liked the relationship with Cat but Textron is part of the equation now, Yamaha will make the move away, they are almost lined up to do so. and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

If you can show where Yamaha was working with Cat to build the chassis (other then someone saying so on the internet because it sounded good) to house the 1049, I'd then have ask what where they thinking? The 1049 does not sit in that chassis properly. The Suzuki twin does because that is what it was made for. The 1049 sits in a Yamaha designed cradle inches higher then the Suzi twin! Giving the Big twin a lower center of gravity and better handling then the 1049! The Chassis was not made for a motor with rear exhaust either because if the motor sat where it should down as low as it can in the chassis the exhaust would go through the center of the jackshaft. If Yamaha designed the Cat chassis for their motor then yes they should never build another chassis and stick to motors. Cat built it the Yamaha motor was cobbled to fit! Unless you can show some proof otherwise! Id love to see it!

If you can show where Yamaha was working with Cat to build the chassis (other then someone saying so on the internet because it sounded good) to house the 1049, I'd then have ask what where they thinking? The 1049 does not sit in that chassis properly. The Suzuki twin does because that is what it was made for. The 1049 sits in a Yamaha designed cradle inches higher then the Suzi twin! Giving the Big twin a lower center of gravity and better handling then the 1049! The Chassis was not made for a motor with rear exhaust either because if the motor sat where it should down as low as it can in the chassis the exhaust would go through the center of the jackshaft. If Yamaha designed the Cat chassis for their motor then yes they should never build another chassis and stick to motors. Cat built it the Yamaha motor was cobbled to fit! Unless you can show some proof otherwise! Id love to see it!

This was obvious when I first saw the Viper. I sort of gave Yamaha a pass since they were so far behind it was able to buy them some time. But it's now 4 model years later and they have done nothing to address this. Even a new chain case might enable the exhaust to go under the jackshaft. They chose to change nothing to the chassis except as absolutely necessary to fit the motor. I have moved on, may be back if they renter the engineering business in the future.

That answer was a bit rude and uncalled for! Please refrain from belittling someone because you disagree with their opinion! Basically the 2018 is no more then a refined 2003. I have both an 05 and an 11, yes they are night a day different but take off the 2011 plastic and the 2003 roots are plain to see. Just refinement past that!
I didn't think I offended anyone sorry if I did, by the way, did you ever consider applying for a job at Yamahas new head office? you could probably solve a lot of issue's for Yamaha, you should give them a call

As I said they can prove me wrong anytime they want too! Problem is at the pace Yamaha does anything I'll be long dead and buried before it may happen! Past experience has shown me that they move at an agonizing slow pace. The 2011 was a leap forward (that most never saw) from the 06 to 10 sled but still they could not for the life of them build a rear skid that worked like the big three. It was why I thought they had partnered with Cat, Yamaha gets a rear skid, Cat gets a motor! Boy did my face get red! Big build up, even bigger let down! Embarrassing and I fell for it!

Yamaha is full of dreams and the faithfull where full of hope but but dreams fade and hope dwindles! With 2011 being the last real refinement of the flagship sled and the 2018 being the last of them, add to that moving their line of sleds to Cat to build you can quickly see where dreams and hope have been stomped on and ground into the dirt. Where is the 5 new sleds in 5 years from Yamaha they built everyone up on? A cobbled Viper/7000 and a Sidewinder/ThunderCat, I count two sleds and both are cobbled together Cat sleds! So yes they have moved an office to Canada, makes sense closer to the snow. One can buy into the hype and dream/hope for a carbon fiber chassis. They have more then one patent (companies create patents to block others like say even Cat from building them does not mean they will) this made me hope for one with the Apex engine but I have become very Jaded. For me no Apex engine is a kinda deal breaker, I don't want a turbo and I don't want a triple with less hp. I can buy a Ski-Doo with less hp and a better chassis so why buy one with a Cat chassis?

With all the effort put into the Cat alliance one can also assume that they just moved closer to build 540's and design new engines for Cat or Trenton while improving on the assembly of Yamaha badged sleds! The patents they have filed could even be to stop shared knowledge from being used by Trenton. I hope they buy out Cat and take over the design and building of Pure Yamaha sleds in the way that other car company's have done. All four strokes are Yamaha all two strokes are Cat. Reduce competing with each other and for gods sake reduce the plethora of sleds to choose from. Combine all dealer ships to sell both. Cat and Yamaha then have separate identity's that one can align with! As it stands now there is only one to align with, Arctic-Cat!
who said they have not developed anything new,there 5 new year thing is still in the works,moving the division set it back a couple years,be patient

I'm hearing more and more riders saying "you know what my next sled will be a four stroke " young an old people. At almost every stop, a few guys saying that. Usually after they ask, how it is riding a four stroke? In a lot of cases it's those riders we come onto and pass ( safely of course.) Then they go onto to saying "ya it's sounds pretty good not worrying about oil and rebuilds" and continue with, I hardly get my sled stuck and don't have to pick it up anyways, and I add, Yup I don't carry my sled I ride it.
I'm 23 yrs old an I love my 4 stroke. My reasons for it are exactly what you mentioned, don't have to worry about oil(and cost of oil) and rebuilds. I have owned a few 2 strokes back in my high school days but was ALWAYS worried that the motor was going to go at any time. I hated that feeling and it made it hard to go for long rides because I was thinking about that. With my Yamaha that feeling is long gone. I can go put 200 miles on day after day after day without any problems.

I'm 23 yrs old an I love my 4 stroke. My reasons for it are exactly what you mentioned, don't have to worry about oil(and cost of oil) and rebuilds. I have owned a few 2 strokes back in my high school days but was ALWAYS worried that the motor was going to go at any time. I hated that feeling and it made it hard to go for long rides because I was thinking about that. With my Yamaha that feeling is long gone. I can go put 200 miles on day after day after day without any problems.
The 2 stroke tech today is incredible. My free supertrax says ski doo''s 850 has 4 stroke reliability. And the chassis is the strongest ever. But I read about how easy it is to crack the bulkheads and how the 850 has a life expectancy of 2000 miles in the harsh mountain riders...any merit to it? Ive rebuilt many of doo's finest 2 strokes, usually just pistons, and seen a cracked bulkhead last year. Since time will tell, failures from last season make me take the claims with a grain of salt, and the owners registration of a new sidewinder! My perception of yamaha powered stuff is like Toyota or lexus....you don't expect any powertrain issues, period. They have earned that right. And I don't believe for a second, that even a die hard doo rider, would not be in awe of the turbo engine. This has to be the most docile, quietest, smoothest, deceptive, powerful engine ever to bolt between a pair of skis. Better than many cars today, by far! Doo's finest included. Screw the weight....a few extra pounds cannot wipe away a smile when the thumb calls.

The 2 stroke tech today is incredible. My free supertrax says ski doo''s 850 has 4 stroke reliability. And the chassis is the strongest ever. But I read about how easy it is to crack the bulkheads and how the 850 has a life expectancy of 2000 miles in the harsh mountain riders...any merit to it? Ive rebuilt many of doo's finest 2 strokes, usually just pistons, and seen a cracked bulkhead last year. Since time will tell, failures from last season make me take the claims with a grain of salt, and the owners registration of a new sidewinder! My perception of yamaha powered stuff is like Toyota or lexus....you don't expect any powertrain issues, period. They have earned that right. And I don't believe for a second, that even a die hard doo rider, would not be in awe of the turbo engine. This has to be the most docile, quietest, smoothest, deceptive, powerful engine ever to bolt between a pair of skis. Better than many cars today, by far! Doo's finest included. Screw the weight....a few extra pounds cannot wipe away a smile when the thumb calls.

Well said Sumpman!
You sound fired up....and i like it!
I like the "extra pounds can't wipe the smile away when the thumb calls".
It works for sleds not the on-line dating scene....just saying

Back