• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

Guys don't hold your breath that Yamaha will buy Cat from Textron. #1 Yamaha will never ever put their name on any Textron 2s engines forget it engines are the core biz of Yamaha and they are darn good at it. So in my mind what would Yamaha buy that the OEM Agreement does not already give them? You go the OEM route in the first place because it is more profitable than in house mfg. No idea what some of you are thinking from a profit stand point? If some how someone could prove to Yamaha it is profitable to buy Cat not go the OEM route then #2 Textron would have to want to sell Cat which is unlikely at this time. So expect more of the same via OEM Agreement and maybe just maybe Yamaha has a clean sheet Apex limited build replacement out of Japan but probably not with the low snow winters and the lack of new designs from all the competition. The snomo mags are a real bore this year and I'm done with them just nothing new to feature and read about. I'll miss the Apex but really it was not selling and dealers were dying on the vine with it. If the SS suspension was a hit many would have stepped up and bought a new Apex but it was very harsh much worse than the CK plus the deeper lugged trackss were useless to most trail riders. The Apex is a power crusier pimp it out with great shocks, EC Ohlins, cushy suspension, prestudded ice ripper tracks, heated seats, tall windshield, LED Lights, Snowtrackers, EPS, Trick updated pod, all the stuff I have to put on aftermarket & possibly many of us would buy new.
I just can't seem to wrap my head around Yamaha sharing new cutting edge tech with Textron, I know they shared the new sidewinder engine but that was a trade off for the use of the pro chassis, Yamaha seems to be setting themselves up for a different direction, why the move to put their head office in Canada, why did they hire a new line up of engineers, why did Yamaha hire some big names in the snow biz to come work with them, they had all this with Cat, they didn't make these move's to back out of the snow biz, if Yamaha does not break away from Textron than Textron will smother Yamaha's snowmobile division with Cat products, actually... they are doing it now, I was in a dealership that sells Yamaha sleds and Cat sleds, the Yamaha sleds were way out back almost hidden while Cat sleds littered the showroom.

I just can't seem to wrap my head around Yamaha sharing new cutting edge tech with Textron, I know they shared the new sidewinder engine but that was a trade off for the use of the pro chassis, Yamaha seems to be setting themselves up for a different direction, why the move to put their head office in Canada, why did they hire a new line up of engineers, why did Yamaha hire some big names in the snow biz to come work with them, they had all this with Cat, they didn't make these move's to back out of the snow biz, if Yamaha does not break away from Textron than Textron will smother Yamaha's snowmobile division with Cat products, actually... they are doing it now, I was in a dealership that sells Yamaha sleds and Cat sleds, the Yamaha sleds were way out back almost hidden while Cat sleds littered the showroom.
I'm definitely not in the ""KNOW"" of the sno mo biz. Get all my info on the interweb and sled mags. But could you elaborate on the ""BIG NAMES"" Yamaha hired ? The only one that comes to mind is Gerald Karpik from Fast. Considering the low snow winters, declining sled sale's and ageing demographic of riders I tend to agree with whitedust1. The bean counters at Yamaha have figured out the ROI of an all new Japan built sled! I hate to admit it, but it's not in the cards! So the OEM agreement is the best we have to look forward too! After all, there's only so many moron's left like me that'll spend big bucks on a toy you can only use 3 month's out of the year at best!

I'm definitely not in the ""KNOW"" of the sno mo biz. Get all my info on the interweb and sled mags. But could you elaborate on the ""BIG NAMES"" Yamaha hired ? The only one that comes to mind is Gerald Karpik from Fast. Considering the low snow winters, declining sled sale's and ageing demographic of riders I tend to agree with whitedust1. The bean counters at Yamaha have figured out the ROI of an all new Japan built sled! I hate to admit it, but it's not in the cards! So the OEM agreement is the best we have to look forward too! After all, there's only so many moron's left like me that'll spend big bucks on a toy you can only use 3 month's out of the year at best!
Yep the Karpik bros from Fast, I don't think a new sled design will be built in Japan but possible in Canada close to their new headquarters, as far fetched as that sounds rumor has it they are testing one as we speak, if what you are saying is true than Yamaha sled division is doomed! as much as I love snowmobiling I will never buy a YAMATRON sled.

back in the day Cat built sleds for Rupp,Alouette,Kawasaki, etc. however they where not just copy of a Cat they where the OEM design. My guess is they will do that again to save production cost. Yammie designed , different than Cat yet built in a Cat facility. Much cheaper to produce here, which begs another question how come the CAT built sleds aren't cheaper then a Vector or Apex, they should be.

back in the day Cat built sleds for Rupp,Alouette,Kawasaki, etc. however they where not just copy of a Cat they where the OEM design. My guess is they will do that again to save production cost. Yammie designed , different than Cat yet built in a Cat facility. Much cheaper to produce here, which begs another question how come the CAT built sleds aren't cheaper then a Vector or Apex, they should be.
They are cheaper now. No resale value at all compared to the Japan sleds. Not even close.

I did not know that, but what's kind of concerning is they all went bankrupted including Cat, also the new Cat-Yamaha sleds don't seem to be as well built as the Vector and Apex sleds.

I did not know that, but what's kind of concerning is they all went bankrupted including Cat, also the new Cat-Yamaha sleds don't seem to be as well built as the Vector and Apex sleds.
I would have to disagree with that. I have a 14 and a 17 Yamacat and the build quality on 14 isn't that bad and the 17 is very good. The Japanese Yammis are screwd together well but they also had their share of "issues"

I would have to disagree with that. I have a 14 and a 17 Yamacat and the build quality on 14 isn't that bad and the 17 is very good. The Japanese Yammis are screwd together well but they also had their share of "issues"
Yeah... they all have issues for sure, put a few more years on them

You can fix a Japanese yamaha with 3 wrenches 10,12,14. As for yamacat you need a tool box of wrenches and torx. I’ll take my nytro anyday over a viper. Just my opinion.
Most things require more than 3 tools. Trust me I wish I could fix stuff with just 3 tools, Then I wouldn’t have $70k+ Sitting at work in a metal box lol.

One big versa wrench from Harbor Frieght, 20% off, not redeemable with any other coupon, works for me!
Merry Christmas, all!

You can fix a Japanese yamaha with 3 wrenches 10,12,14. As for yamacat you need a tool box of wrenches and torx. I’ll take my nytro anyday over a viper. Just my opinion.
I have had both---I will take the Viper thanks.
As for the Yamaha you forgot 17, 19 and 22mm .
I agree that the Torx bits SUCK!!

Yeah... they all have issues for sure, put a few more years on them
With over 8000 miles on the Viper, most of the bugs are worked out. The good thing about a site like this is that you can learn from others and head some issues off before they happen.

With over 8000 miles on the Viper, most of the bugs are worked out. The good thing about a site like this is that you can learn from others and head some issues off before they happen.
Right. Almost all here have rebuilt their sleds whether Japan or USA built. Really we should call them Totallyamaha's! As a Team I dare say that all our sleds are in a class all alone and no one as a group is even close.

Back