• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha done with sleds

Well my two cents. I think Yamaha got bored holding the title of the fastest stock production snowmobile and moving on to new adventures.

I really don't see prices falling on Sidewinders just yet. I think you may actually see a little bump in the short term.
I think the market for ALL motorized vehicles is really slowing down and interest rates climbing but if the end is near for the Winder /T-cat then people will want to jump while they can. Plus the people that usually buy these type of high end sleds are not the ones who are financing the whole thing anyway.

If anything I would think this raises the value? Any true blue will be scooping up anu units the are for sale. JMHO
I agree, in the short term. I've always watched pricing on these, don't know why. Three maybe four years ago winders were going for less then $9k. Then around covid, with supply issues, inflation, etc. The used prices started to climb. $11k+/-
Like stated, guys will jump on them, but ultimately, and I'm hoping I'm wrong, the bottom will drop.
Drop even faster if the market/Cat can bring in a healthy replacement.
Its all just pillow talk. I'm hoping to make some Incremental improvements on my 60' this year. I'm excited!!!

Last edited:
Will Cat be able to keep its assembly line full.
That’s probably part of it as well with the new Catalyst coming. Once they offer a full line of Catalyst models they likely will want their whole production line dedicated to their own product. Cat is in a different place today with Textron as their owner then they were in 2014 as an independent company. Everything big with the joint venture like the Viper and Sidewinder all happened before the March 2017 purchase of Cat by Textron. Once Textron took over there wasn’t much new except for BNG on the co-developed models, a rebadged Mountain Max 800, and some smaller 2 strokes and kids sleds. That’s it. Once the engineering was done on the Sidewinder the partnership was done except for current models.

The 998 will become the new "greasy triples" it will drop at some point and then prices will increase. They will never drop below 7-8 grand. The motor is in demand for aircraft.

But people will want that clean turbo triple for awhile. Clean chassis with no motors will probably be about $3500

The 998 will become the new "greasy triples" it will drop at some point and then prices will increase. They will never drop below 7-8 grand. The motor is in demand for aircraft.

But people will want that clean turbo triple for awhile. Clean chassis with no motors will probably be about $3500
I don't know if the 998 is really done in snowmobiles after 2025. It's done in Yamaha branded snowmobiles, but I'd be surprised if Cat doesn't try and keep the engine supply agreement in force. It gives them something in the 4 stroke market that Ski-doo and Polaris doesn't have. Even Yamaha admitted on their Facebook that longer term supply agreements remain in place. We'll just have to wait and see.

I see them holding in value. People that want them will want them still and they are reliable. So alot will hold onto them closer now.

With that said cat made the chassis and is still in business to get parts for that and Yamaha still makes the motors in their sxs so we can get parts for that. There’s 0 supply issue I can imagine.

I don't know if the 998 is really done in snowmobiles after 2025. It's done in Yamaha branded snowmobiles, but I'd be surprised if Cat doesn't try and keep the engine supply agreement in force. It gives them something in the 4 stroke market that Ski-doo and Polaris doesn't have. Even Yamaha admitted on their Facebook that longer term supply agreements remain in place. We'll just have to wait and see.
It's done.
There was a spat with Cat that led up to Yamaha throwing in the towel.
It is my understanding that Cat wouldn't agree to Yamaha marketing the new chassis with Yamaha bodywork, so then Yamaha said maybe they wouldn't agree to supplying Cat with the 998 engine package.
Cat then said maybe they wouldn't sell any chassis at all to Yamaha.
Yamaha decides to call it a day.
I heard Cat plans to use a Weber engine after 2025.

Ther
It's done.
There was a spat with Cat that led up to Yamaha throwing in the towel.
It is my understanding that Cat wouldn't agree to Yamaha marketing the new chassis with Yamaha bodywork, so then Yamaha said maybe they wouldn't agree to supplying Cat with the 998 engine package.
Cat then said maybe they wouldn't sell any chassis at all to Yamaha.
Yamaha decides to call it a day.
I heard Cat plans to use a Weber engine after 2025.
There has been rumors of 998t in the Matryx chassis. I would prefer that honestly. As a 850 xcr is my next move I have 0 interest in a turbo 2smoke time bomb that requires huge investment at stock levels every few thousand miles. Boosted to run with our sidewinder trail sleds would give them a 1500-2000mi lifespan I am sure. Don’t feel like a 3k rebuild on a sled you paid 25-27k(us) for and then put 5-8k in to get to sidewinder power levels.

Oh crap. Say it ain't so! I only hope this is based on recent events and they haven't been lying to us for the last ten years just to clean out the parts bins.

Back