• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX-2 performance review - bolt torking procedures

Seems to be the case

I checked all the factory installed bolts all 50 ft/lbs +/- . I did remove them cleaned the yellow thread locker and applied red locktite and retorqed to 50 ft/lbs. See if this makes a difference. I waiting on a couple of parts for my extension kit so I will not get any miles on the skid until then.

This is what the bolts look like with the pre-applied thread locker, It just isn't enough to hold up to the application.

IMG_1325-1.jpg

Thanks NytroYK - Running the limiter strap in the middle fixed my problem with too little ski pressure. I still have perfect transfer when giving it WOT :) ;)!

I feel that running the limiter strap in the middle made the skid a tad stiffer. I rode the sled 2-up with my brother in law and it did not bottom out at all and MAN the ZX-2 did move nicely underneat the sled with 430 lbs of rider and passenger.

I will back off to 3 on preload and test it there. It felt a lot stiffer over the stutters and small bumps than before going to the middle hole.

I rode the very same trail as last time out and I'm very happy with how the ZX-2 takes the nasties with ease. :) Now with more control from the increased pressure on the skis :)

rxrider said:
Thanks NytroYK - Running the limiter strap in the middle fixed my problem with too little ski pressure. I still have perfect transfer when giving it WOT :) ;)!

I feel that running the limiter strap in the middle made the skid a tad stiffer. I rode the sled 2-up with my brother in law and it did not bottom out at all and MAN the ZX-2 did move nicely underneat the skid with 430 lbs of rider and passenger.

I will back off to 3 on preload and test it there. It felt a lot stiffer over the stutters and small bumps than before going to the middle hole.

I rode the very same trail as last time out and I'm very happy with how the ZX-2 takes the nasties with ease. :) Now with more control from the increased pressure on the skis :)

I am glad to ear that ;)!

I got another 17 miles on the skid today and my idler wheels were loosening up not the front arm. Wierd.

Anyway I thought the skid makes the rear end hop a little over frozen drifts, it doesn't seems like it soaks up those little bumps as good as my edge but you could never pound the edge like you can the zx2 so I'm not complaining to much yet. I have yet to get on a groomed trail that is all washed up into little moguls after a weekend to really test the skid out.

35 miles now and I think its a tad stiffer then the edge doesn't take little bumps as good but is far supieror in medium to large bumps.

I'll give it the 70-150 miles for break in then start adjusting it.

Were out riding yesterday, got 117 kms or 72 miles.

Current setup on the ZX-2 136"
Preload set at 3
Limiter strap in the middle 1 and 4 position
Revolver stock at 2/4.

I have reduced the preload to 3 to use more of the suspension stroke during the break in period. I will go up to 4 later on when the springs have set in.

Ride review:
With the limiter strap in the middle position the sled rails in the high speed sweeping turns. I still cannot give it too much throttle then I get inside ski lift, before shortening the limiter strap I got ski lift on both skis and were unable to steer. Now I can still steer if it lifts the inside ski, a touch on the brake and she goes flat again. Applying a little breake when on the throttle makes the sled corner flatter with more pressure on the skis.

Yesterday I gave the skid all that I got down a crazy nasty trail, no bottoming out over the moguls and bumps. I were at the anti bottoming part of the shocks a few times, at the same time I could hear the track rubbing the tunnel protectors. The big bump capability is still intact with my current setup.
On the lake I rode into a rise in the ice in the middle of the lake, 1 meter or 3 ft high. Needless to say it took off, jump height must have been 2 meters or 6 ft. I bottomed out both front and rear on the take off, but I did not bottom it out on landing, MAN what a skid and front shock setup. Also I cannot se any damage done to the front suspension or the ZX-2 from the hard impact with the ice rise and the flat landing on the glare ice, I'm impressed.

Checked all ZX-2 bolts when home. All bolts still in place, no broken bolts and no loose bolts. That I'm very happy with.

I will pump up the Fox Floats to 75 lbs. I will ride the ZX-2 at 3 preload for a few hundred more miles before going to 4 on preload. Everything works just great when it comes to my sleds rideability, only thing to change would be going up in preload when the springs have finished set in.

Thanks for the update RXrider! I am going to be putting on 400 miles in 3 days and I am paranoid about a bolt coming loose, I will re-tq after each day and hope none are loose. Sounds like you may not have issue and your putting it through much harder work then I will be! Thanks!

Yeah - the trails I ride is really putting this skid to the test.

BTW - I carry a 15 millimeter open/closed end spanner wrench in the thrunk just in case, easy to check bolts when having a break, only take a minute to go over them all.

You may carry both a 15, and a 17 millimeter wrench to check the bolts holding the skid to the frame could come in handy if those bolts become an issue. I don't think they will.

I put on 85 km today checked all bolts when I got home. Everything was tight. I used the technique of setting the torq wrench a couple of pounds lighter so I didn't break the locktite seal. The mountain version has only one shock so my setting might vary from the 2 shock version for now I'm running 2/4 with a preload of 4.

Guys - when you loosen the rear wheels to adjust the track do you go through the whole bolt cleaning and Loctite procedure?

yammiman said:
Guys - when you loosen the rear wheels to adjust the track do you go through the whole bolt cleaning and Loctite procedure?

I posted my thoughts on this on page 3 of this thread.

I don't know why you would want to red loctite this location, I re-check these every 100 miles and they are always tight.

As for the rear wheels I didn't remove and reapply red locktite but it did cross my mind. If Vector hasn't had a problem I'll just keep checking them.

Back