• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2004 Warrior: upgraded to 136" mono

I hammered the Warrior in the UP last week. All seems well, except the 10 amp ignition fuse randomly blows? I need to chase wires down and inspect, but I'm open to suggestions.

Other than the above mentioned, the old girl will go! My buddy's were even impressed with the performance of this sled! :Rockon:

Last edited:

I hammered the Warrior in the UP last week. All seems well, except the 10 amp ignition fuse randomly blows? I need to chase wires down and inspect, but I'm open to suggestions.

Other than the above mentioned, the old girl will go! My buddy's were even impressed with the performance of this sled! :Rockon:

Great to hear Joe, as it should be after all the work you did. It has been pretty grim here, a real lack of snow. The M20 is pretty much broken in now and I absolutely love it. We are planning a good trip on the 16th but we still need mother nature to co0operate...........what's the odds. This year they are not good I'm afraid.

I just got back from my last ride for the year. The warm temperatures and high traffic volume made conditions less than favorable, but we made the most of it.

With the exception of darting, the old Warrior performed flawless...I don't know what it is, but I LOVE this sled! I have a few more knick-knacks to work on, but I'm already anxious for next year!

I originally planned to never take this sled out of state, but I'm certain it will now be a tag-along for every trip. This has been one of the most rewarding sled projects I've taken on! :D

No issues with the extra wheels clearing the suspension arms and no hyfax wear in this area either.

20160226_135834.jpg
20160227_083853.jpg

Last edited:
I just got back from my last ride for the year. The warm temperatures and high traffic volume made conditions less than favorable, but we made the most of it.

With the exception of darting, the old Warrior performed flawless...I don't know what it is, but I LOVE this sled! I have a few more knick-knacks to work on, but I'm already anxious for next year!

I originally planned to never take this sled out of state, but I'm certain it will now be a tag-along for every trip. This has been one of the most rewarding sled projects I've taken on! :D
Joe better rethink last ride, got 6' overnight and coming down hard, just snowblowed drive and another 1" were I just cleaned, HA

View attachment 116692 View attachment 116693

That is great your project turned out so great !! I did some work to mine this fall, not to the extent you did though. I was looking forward to trying it out this winter, but that never happened. We just never got enough snow and there isn't any in the near future. This will be the first winter I can remember that I couldn't do at least a little riding. All I got to do was test it in my field to make sure everything worked as it should. This is one reason I have an older sled. I'd be really pissed if I was making payments on a new sled this winter that I couldn't ride. Its good to see people working on and enjoying these older sleds.

We just never got enough snow and there isn't any in the near future.
Superfan, I hate to hear you didn't get to ride at all!

Tell you what, come over to the UP next year and you can ride with us! :D
You too, Larry! You'll surely be settled in to your new house by then! :Rockon:

I bet that would be fun ridin' out there. I've never been anywhere other than Vt to be honest. Thanx for the invite. If next winter is anything like this one I might have to take you up on that !!

Nice thread, good pictures, informative, even motivational.

Northernsledder, did you ever find the reason for blowing the ignition fuse. One thing I had with my warrior is the wire harness rubs the front bulkhead under the front tool kit. I had some strange things happening with mine and Rockmiester pointed me towards that area. Great job on all of your rides.

Northernsledder, did you ever find the reason for blowing the ignition fuse. One thing I had with my warrior is the wire harness rubs the front bulkhead under the front tool kit. I had some strange things happening with mine and Rockmiester pointed me towards that area. Great job on all of your rides.

I never did find what I thought was the direct cause to the ignition fuse blowing. I gave the sled a thorough wash several days before the first trip, so I've wondered if water wasn't a contributor to the issue? I got fed up and stuck a larger, 15 amp fuse in there and well...it never blew again! I do not recommend this, as it could fry a larger egg...if you know what I mean!

I've since repaired, soldered and heat-shrunk several wires across the entire sled that looked questionable. I also discovered the grip heaters were wired in series. That would explain why any heat setting above the first bar on the display would literally burn my hands...LOL! Not sure if this was the problem, but I left it alone for now.

I hammered the sled for 2 days on the second trip and didn't have one issue with anything! The old sled just ran perfect! It was even lifting the ski's in the morning when the trails were set up! I'm very satisfied with this sled, considering I never intended on taking it out of state. The chassis has some obvious issues, but this old 4-banger is a testament to Yamaha 4-stroke reliability!

I finally had time yesterday evening to get everything prepped for summer. My sled's, gear...everything was still in the trailer from my last trip 2 months ago. I had to re-prime the Warrior and Vector to get them started.

I always drain the float bowls and siphon the gas tanks dry on my sleds. Engine oil/filter gets changed in the fall. In addition, I remove the batteries and place them on a shelf. The front/rear suspension gets greased and I put them to bed. I do not re-pack boggie/drive alxe bearings. I run them 2 seasons and replace with new.

20160428_175944.jpg
20160428_183329.jpg

Last edited:
The old girl is out of storage and ready for service. I have a short list of updates being made:

1) Replacement primary clutch. (existing is worn excessively)

2) New ski bolt bushings - http://ty4stroke.com/threads/rx-rs-diy-ski-spindle-bushing-replacement.142005/

3) New USI Triple threat ski's

Cheers! :Rockon:Get her ready Joe, gonna get 8-12" late today.............got about 6" on ground now.......

View attachment 123931 View attachment 123932 View attachment 123933 View attachment 123934

Back