• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 AK sled build

In not sure who else the "we" and "we're" in my post would be referring to. Unless you think I'm including the shop mice?

So in all seriousness, I can't thank Drew and Rick enough for all their help. I know sometimes I test both their patience with my addiction to losing every ounce possible but I'm glad they put up with it because it's turning out exactly as I'd hoped for. I'm finishing the last little bit of welding on the tunnel right now (at 1 am) and heading off to powder coat first thing in the morning. I grabbed my camera today and took some better pictures.

We ended up only having to use one elbow on the header. Doesn't get much shorter/lighter than that.
IMG_4039.jpg

Same thing with the exhaust. About as short & light as you can get.
IMG_4016.jpg

Started off the morning fabbing the hanger for the header. Header in place ready to start.
IMG_3977.jpg

Built a small box out of .063 4130 plate. Fused the sides after bending the main piece.
IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

Used three 1/4" .035 tubes to hang the mount.
IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

Did seat tabs next out of .040
IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

And here's a few with the turbo mounted. Believe it or not, it will come out as one assembly like pictured. The battery even slides out with just the waste gate disconnected. That being said, it really couldn't have been much tighter and I was relieved we didn't have to modify any of my existing 1/2" tubes. The sheetmetal cuts are getting cleaned up tomorrow while the frame gets powder coated.
IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

I really can't express enough thanks to Drew and Rick for the all donated parts, finding me the turbo, use of the lab, all the labor & knowledge and Ricks welding skills. I'm so stoked to have boost finally and couldn't be happier with how it's coming together.

Your love for doing this stuff really shows in the quality of work you are producing. Excellent work.

What trim turbo is that? Not sure if it makes a big difference with short tubing lengths on a sled, but do you back purge all your charge and exhaust pipes when welding?

Keep it up, this thing is more than just one of a kind.

Thanks man, appreciate it! A huge thank you to Advanced Powdercoating out in Big Lake. I dropped off the tunnel frame at 9 am and picked it up at 2:00. Can't beat same day service like that. I've always been curious as to how much weight powdercoating adds. The frame weighed 17 lbs 3 ounces before and 17 lbs 15 ounces after.
IMG_4042.jpg

Picked up 150 4-2 cherry max rivets for the skin. Spendy suckers ($100) but strong and light, 6 ounces for all 150. When I attach the tunnel to the bulkhead I'll use solid rivets for everything up to a 1/4" hole. I got high strength 5/16 bolts and nuts for the 8 mm holes in the diecast.
IMG_4047.jpg

Time. I'm already in a huge rush to finish before Wyoming. If I did the skin id need to do rails ect. I didn't want to bug Mark & Walter about coating an entire sled in one day. The only reason I powdered the tube frame was corrosion protection.

Awesome sled! I assume the hot side exhaust is just pointed at the track. Haven't seen any damage to the track from the heat? I assume it won't be a problem while moving but what about idle time during warmup?

Also if you don't mind what are the specs of the turbo? Trim? Hot side a/r?

Drew or Rick would have to chime in on the turbo specs, I'm not sure.

Tunnel skin all trimmed up and ready to rivet weighed 9 lbs 6 ounces.
IMG_4055.jpg

Turbo cutout cleaned up.
IMG_4057.jpg

Clecod
IMG_4060.jpg

Riveted. I weighed the aftermath of the rivet parts and it was about 3.5 ounces, so total weigh gain of 150 #4 cherry max rivets is roughly 2.5 ounces.
IMG_4070.jpg

Done. Complete tunnel weight is 27 lbs 9 ounces.
IMG_4065.jpg

Back