• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

According to yamaha, no hyfax overheating problem on XTX '11

FrostyNutz said:
No need to drill #$%&*

I think the track tension had a lot to do with the premature wear :o|

Holy poop! Does that thing have a dolly under it??? I'm guessing not by your statement.

FrostyNutz said:
Thanks for letting us know were not alone :)

I really don't want to sound negative about a sled that makes me smile this much . I don't regret buying it and i'm prepared to make the neccessary upgrades to make it right. I just feel they really should have noticed this excessive wear in all the test rides last spring and addressed it for production models.

I had to edit this post ,,,,,, I did some investigating and discovered the secret to long hyfax life.

We have to run scratchers and a Bogie Wheel Suspension :o|

I've ran this set up from day one but also added a extra set of marginals in the back. Checked clearance under full compression and no issues. It's ready for the first oil change and the sliders have next to no wear.

Larry

Crewchief47 said:
FrostyNutz said:
No need to drill #$%&*

I think the track tension had a lot to do with the premature wear :o|

Holy poop! Does that thing have a dolly under it??? I'm guessing not by your statement.

Your right ,, no dolly and 5 turns back from where it was from the dealer . You should have seen how tight this track was :o| The adjusters are now almost at the nylon on the lock nuts, so I can't loosen it anymore than this. It's not even close to factory spec and it's still too tight on the front bend imo . I have the big wheel kit on the way and scratchers installed . I'm not going to worry about this any longer ,,, if they still wear out in 1K then so be it . It's a beautiful day so I'm going riding,,, #$%&* the slides :Rockon:

SX..... Holy crap man ,,, that's got more wheels than a train. Do you ride all groomed trails or some rough stuff as well ? I'm sure your Hyfax issues are a thing of the past so it's got my attention. How much weight did you add to the skid ?

Bought a 2011 Apex XTX. Put on a set of Sly Dog Boggies and loosened the track. I've only put on 350 miles and it's been in some pretty good snow, but don't see any excess wear as of yet.
Think I'll take it up north this weekend and give it a good beating just to make sure. :Rockon:

The burned off hyfax was what I had after putting on new ones and riding decent trails around Yorkton for about 350kms.

I'm thinking Turk's suggestion might solve a bunch of problems. I'm going to try to pull the limiters back up. I'm sure I have them extended.

I only have 78 miles and mine need replacing. I sent Yamaha an email asking what Yamaha the fine company is doing about this issue. He sent me a pic asking me where the sliders are wearing (I will attach) and he knew exactly where they are worn out (my track is lose and we have good snow) I don’t think ice scratchers is the fix I think it’s a design problem and it sounds like I am going to get a small wheel kit from Yamaha gratis. I will keep you guys posted [/img]

he Knows the spot (they know about the issue)

Attachments

• apex.jpg
    apex.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 348
Re: According to yamaha, no hyfax overheating problem on XTX

Nordik said:
My dealer called his rep about hyfax overheating problems I and other customer enconterd on our XTX 11.

Yamaha says there is no problem, so no solution to recommand.

I have 40 years of experience on many brands including 6 last years on Yamaha (10 Yamahas).

As it is, my XTX hyfax will stay jammed against the track if i have to travel some distance on marginal snow conditions, as it happens in every long ride.

I have never seen a sled requiring so much snow to cool the hyfax.

I paid 18 000$ for that sled. I don't care paying extra bucks for a solution. Seems my dealer and I will have to spent time and trial test to find a solution (location and number of additional wheels).

I would have appreciated from Yamaha recongnition of the problem and a recommnadation to cure it.

I agree with this , My 2007 with 300 miles had hyfax melted and had a dealer replace them of course I had to pay 172.00, now Im concerned now and I stop after two or three miles to put snow on the rails all the time.

Well had to have my second set of hyfax's put on today w/ only 1077 mi. First set at 606 mi. Complained to dealer, they said call Yamaha so I did. I explained how the hyfax is wearing too fast on these XTX's especially when you consider I'm running snow scrachers in mostly good snow conditions. Long story short, Yamaha called the dealer and agreed to pay for the second set (about $120), however they would not pay for marginal snow kits :o| so I bought two sets and had the dealer install them at both wear spots, up front where the rails starts to curve up and inbetween the boogie wheels near the rubber stop for the torsion springs ($350). I now have more F'n wheels than anybody I know, lol.

This is my 6th Apex and I consider myself a loyal Yamaha customer but Yamaha has to take some responsibility for this skid issue. Love this sled but can't deal w/ changing hyfax every 500 miles! They should issue a recall or update or whatever you want to call it and either change the wheels (larger?) or install more wheel kits.

Good luck guys, looks like we are on our own.

Scratchers are the rule of thumb for yammies....First set 300,,Then I had on my sled 5 wheels on each side.when ridding trails..and untill I put scratchers..,they would ware at 600 with wheels no scratchers..Ride with my scratchers on trail all the time.whatever the snow conditions are...Have only one wheel under my butt..this is where it still wares when I ride the trails.You have to mod and change stuff more often under the thing cause its a heavey reliable turn the key 4-stroke running the same as a light 2-stroke..cheaper to change the stuff under it than the motor.. ;)! they are not 100% turn the key..lol..close.My wifes sled is at 2700 on the same slides.and still more than half...mine went to just under 2000,changed them cause I went on a trip..I still think you have to heat and cool them,when you put them on.But this has been debated many times..heat and cool..works for me ;)!

Can’t let this post die….
So Yamaha pretty much told me to go #$%& my hat!!! I talked to my dealer today and they want me to bring the sled in and have them put new sliders on (I pay for it) and they will keep track of my serial number and IF Yamaha ever admits to a problem they will try to get my money back???? I bought the sled from them I hope they have my serial number. I am ordering the excel wheel kit and I will be done with this problem. I know you may all think I’m a whiner but I got the Yamaha because it’s the best and that’s what I expect!!! I am still not done with it!!!

I would feel and do like you zeke-xtx,

I stand behind Yamaha all the way but if something needed attention then they should FIX it, I know they gave you the song and dance, I got it to, in the end I won, you will to bug them more.. Good Luck..

I am not going to use the Yamaha guys name but here is a responce I got
"many Yamaha owners experience this problem. However, the trend seems to be that our hyfax do wear quickly, but only to a point, and then they stop and are good for many, many more miles."

So i said
"I dont like the idea of running something that is at the replace mark. I would never know when to replace them."
"If someone from Yamaha tells me (in writing) that I dont have to replace my hyfax when they are at the wear limit fine I will"

HE SAID
"You're right: we can't tell you in writing when to change your hyfax. As you know, I/we have to be very careful what we say here. You should always consult your owner's manual (which I'm sure you've done) but from everything I've read on the forums and heard from other owners, the hyfax wear slows considerably when it reaches the wear line. As you know, it also depends on riding conditions and riding style.

As long as the wear line is showing, you should be OK. Personally, if it were my sled and I could see 1/8 inch above the wear line, and there was some good snow, I'd go riding--but it's your call."

2011 Apex XTX Slider FAIL

KnappAttack said:
The warmers are still crap along with the slider issue!
My slides gone after riding in good snow for 250 miles!

I've gone to post my ride review 4 times and have held off I'm so pissed!

Here is a preview.
Exhaust drone, ski lift, darting, poor warmers, slide wear all still there just like the old machine. Now we have to modify the tunnel protectors to boot if we want to stud! DO THEY NOT TEST THESE THINGS? WTF?

I think the excellent reviewers have been paid off by Yamaha. I can't say anymore yet. Just fuming about it.

I Too, have the same issue. I bought a new Apex XTX, 2011, and went through 3 sets of sliders last season, the last after only 80 miles in good snow. When I spoke to my dealer last Spring, they told me that a fix was coming. Now when I spoke to the dealer about the "fix", they said Yamaha are not covering it in warranty. They said you need to buy a new expensive Dupont Slider, at your cost, or install an additional set of wheels.

I called Yamaha, and they said, "we will not cover any of these costs". I have been a loyal Yamaha customer for 15 years, and I am really upset with the response. They admit a design problem, and leave you hanging.

I only sled when there is lots of snow. I do go up the sides of the trail to pick up more snow. I do kick additional snow at a stop when I think i need to.

My previous Apex 2006 RTX would go a season (2,500 miles) on one set of sliders. Now, 3 sets on 2,000 miles?

A design flaw for 2011. I bet they fix it for 2012. Thanks Yamaha for admitting there is a problem, and leaving us hanging.

Anyone else with a 2011 Apex with this problem? If we all contact Yamaha, we may get some assistance.

On the Handlebar warmers, my 2006 Apex's were terrible! They did fix the issue in 2011 with a bigger electic generator (or whatever it is called), more amps for more heat. Took them 6 years to fix that!

If $120 will fix the problem I would gladly pay it. I just don't believe it will fix it. I already added bigger wheels and it still is wearing and sticking to the track. :o|

Vote with your wallet next time you're sled shopping.

This is why Yamaha is fourth, ahem, last, in sales.

Back