• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Airbox Mod Warning

I think a metal plate needs to be fabbed up

Could a person put a frog screen over the three intakes inside the box to keep plastic and debris from getting sucked in just for safety sake?

Some of us are going to try just gluing it down. It won't take much. Just have to stop the vibrations. Good results so far from one guy I trust so will try it myself. Like I said I can't say I ever felt a difference with it removed and put lots of miles on like that but it always has bothered me since looking at it it sure looks like it would help airflow. Maybe guy with it glued will post pics?

Here are a couple of pic's of my divider glued in place with Prematex Ultra Black.

I cleaned the surfaces with lacquer thinner and a rag. The lacquer thinner will actually melt the plastic divider, so you don't want to pour the lacquer thinner directly on the plastic. The good thing is that it etches the plastic to promote adhesion for the Ultra Black.
Last season I glued the area in the Red rectangle to the bottom half of the air box as an experiment. This year while I have the sled apart to do some other mods, I decided to disassemble the air box and inspect it. We didn't get a whole lot of miles in last year due to the very poor snow year, but the Ultra Black is still holding up.

Since the adhesion is still good after last season I decided to add other bead of Ultra Black to the rear ward side at the Red arrows. After this season is over I probably will pull it apart again just to see how things are holding up, but so far so good;)!

Attachments

• IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 585
Here are a couple of pic's of my divider glued in place with Prematex Ultra Black.

I cleaned the surfaces with lacquer thinner and a rag. The lacquer thinner will actually melt the plastic divider, so you don't want to pour the lacquer thinner directly on the plastic. The good thing is that it etches the plastic to promote adhesion for the Ultra Black.
Last season I glued the area in the Red rectangle to the bottom half of the air box as an experiment. This year while I have the sled apart to do some other mods, I decided to disassemble the air box and inspect it. We didn't get a whole lot of miles in last year due to the very poor snow year, but the Ultra Black is still holding up.

Since the adhesion is still good after last season I decided to add other bead of Ultra Black to the rear ward side at the Red arrows. After this season is over I probably will pull it apart again just to see how things are holding up, but so far so good;)!

I see you have not opened the inlet. Are you running the Ulmer stack inlet?

With the divider/support trimmed back like that have you just considered removing that floating shelf altogether? I thought about the permatex deal, but I hate to have anything inside the box that could come loose and process through the engine. Considering trimming mine back like you did and leaving the shelf out.

I see you have not opened the inlet. Are you running the Ulmer stack inlet?

With the divider/support trimmed back like that have you just considered removing that floating shelf altogether? I thought about the permatex deal, but I hate to have anything inside the box that could come loose and process through the engine. Considering trimming mine back like you did and leaving the shelf out.

I'm running the Excel intake snorkel that is mounted in the same area as the Ulmer intake.

I did consider pulling the shelf out, but was concerned about possible turbulence concerns. So far the permatex is holding up well and I'll probably pull the air box and re-check it again after this season is over. The main reason I went the Ultra Black is because it stays somewhat flexible and has some give to it as the air box goes through temperature changes/engine vibration. Also I figured that if any adhesive came loose, at least it would a thin piece of flexible silicone!

Some of us are going to try just gluing it down. It won't take much. Just have to stop the vibrations. Good results so far from one guy I trust so will try it myself. Like I said I can't say I ever felt a difference with it removed and put lots of miles on like that but it always has bothered me since looking at it it sure looks like it would help airflow. Maybe guy with it glued will post pics?

Hey Steve did you end up putting your divider back in? If so did you end up gluing it in like a couple of the others? I have a new divider but I am still debating if I should install it or not, it does kind of drive me nuts knowing it's not in there when it should be. But I don't want plastic in my engine, gluing it down does sound like a good use though!

I havent yet but will be now since another problem occurred. The chinsy piece of plastic Excell provides for blocking off the stock inlet cracked. That part may very well have gone into motor its gone!
Excell.JPG

I havent yet but will be now since another problem occurred. The chinsy piece of plastic Excell provides for blocking off the stock inlet cracked. That part may very well have gone into motor its gone!
View attachment 114179
What is covering that plastic? It looks like peeling paint or foil or something.

Yes plastic. I added the foil on whole airbox to get temps down more. Really couldnt notice much difference though.

I put a new divider in mine at the start of the year when I did my air box mod and I put less than 100 miles on in first ride and the divider shows signs of wear already so divider is being removed and tossed in the garbage. Going to add hurricane performance air box mod to existing air box.
Cannondale27 keep doing what your doing you help a lot of people on this form in a good way. Bruce

I put a new divider in mine at the start of the year when I did my air box mod and I put less than 100 miles on in first ride and the divider shows signs of wear already so divider is being removed and tossed in the garbage. Going to add hurricane performance air box mod to existing air box.
Cannondale27 keep doing what your doing you help a lot of people on this form in a good way. Bruce

When you installed yours last did you glue it in? I am really still debating on putting my new one back in. If I do it will be glued in. I just don't like the idea of the turbulence and possibly losing power lol.

Back