• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another primary clutch failure

Out on the lake this weekend with a buddy of mine. First pull rolling on from about 30 mph, and this happened to him at about 100.

Things I know:

• STM weights
  • Dalton B/G primary, Dalton B/O secondary
  • 22/41, 8JP
  • 1.25 Ice Ripper track
  • Rollers had a bit of play in them and were going to be swapped out
It's been posted before, and I'll say it again -- these primary clutches NEED to be inspected frequently, and I would not be doing any hard pulls unless you know everything is 100% in your driveline.

I have no confidence in the stock primary, and won't be running it next season.View attachment 147949View attachment 147949 View attachment 147950
View attachment 147949 View attachment 147950 View attachment 147951
Try a PB80 there $650 canadian tax in

Thread title may be a little misleading, as the clutch castings were not the problem. Any clutch that has weights travel past rollers will likely sustain damage.

Are STM weights shorter than oem? As a conservative measure maybe mfgs could make weights a bit longer so when the rollers start to wear, there is no chance of the weight traveling past the roller.
Spring + rollers + weights + spyder + shims + cover plate + bushings = primary clutch. A failure of any one of these components is a failure of the primary clutch.
The title of the thread isn't 'Another primary clutch casting failure'.

We know that roller bushing is the trouble. We just need to inspect them at least every 1000km. In my case I open the clutch almost 3 time a week, and sometimes 10 times a day, so for me this is not a problem. My rollers with duralon bushings are lasting more than 3000km. I dont think installing a limiter is the answer. People will only wear the roller more as they will think it is an insurance. Some people are even looking for more overdrive... Again, the simplest way is to inspect your clutch often. We run top horsepower machine. We should take the time to inspect things carefully at that power level. People that only want to put gas and pin the throttle, sorry but this isn't the sled for them. That's the reality.

I agree with what you're saying, but would suggest that every 1000KM is not nearly as frequently as these things should be checked. Pre-ride is the minimum, and I'd check them during the day if you've been in the upper range of your shift a lot, racing, etc. This assumes we're talking about a tuned sled, but good practice regardless.

Was this a stock or tuned Winder? If it is stock and no tune you have every reason to be upset. But if your running a 300 horse tune on this thing with after market clutch parts it pretty much is what it is and the old saying comes into effect if you want to play you got to pay. These clutches were not designed for what they are being used for. Once you get a clutch to work the belt will be next then the drive train and so on down the line and then the tracks will be coming apart. You guys are making a lot of pony's with these things and something has to give.

240 Hurricane tune with 3" Sandale Heartbreaker exhaust.

Anybody hear how the rollers are doing on the sleds running the Hurricane stub shaft?

Hey guys can someone tell me why the rollers in the picture are worn out. I have inspected mine before every ride. However I dont know what I am looking for. I always check to make sure they turn freely and dont wiggle on the shaft. These seem like they may be worn smaller in diameter, but I wanted to know what everyone is checking. I have STM weights and run big fast trails and have about 4500 miles on my stock rollers. Season is over but I will replace them anyway. Just want to know what to check for.

Spring + rollers + weights + spyder + shims + cover plate + bushings = primary clutch. A failure of any one of these components is a failure of the primary clutch.
The title of the thread isn't 'Another primary clutch casting failure'.
I agree with what you're saying, but would suggest that every 1000KM is not nearly as frequently as these things should be checked. Pre-ride is the minimum, and I'd check them during the day if you've been in the upper range of your shift a lot, racing, etc. This assumes we're talking about a tuned sled, but good practice regardless.
You don't understand that many sidewinder owners are not the least bit mechanically inclined.
They wouldn't know the first thing about a roller, yet alone checking one, but they run tunes.
An annual clutch service, and changing rollers sooner than later is all that's required.

Hey guys can someone tell me why the rollers in the picture are worn out. I have inspected mine before every ride. However I dont know what I am looking for. I always check to make sure they turn freely and dont wiggle on the shaft. These seem like they may be worn smaller in diameter, but I wanted to know what everyone is checking. I have STM weights and run big fast trails and have about 4500 miles on my stock rollers. Season is over but I will replace them anyway. Just want to know what to check for.
It isn't the outside of the roller that is the issue, it is the bushing on the inside that fails. I have a post with some pics on here somewhere that I'll find for you.

You don't understand that many sidewinder owners are not the least bit mechanically inclined.
They wouldn't know the first thing about a roller, yet alone checking one, but they run tunes.
An annual clutch service, and changing rollers sooner than later is all that's required.

Why would you think I don't understand this?

I'm sure you know this but ideally, the roller bushing fits the pin it rotates on with no lateral play. In other words, it should fit virtually line-to-line meaning no play. Same goes for bushings in weights.
Same goes for sliders that hold spider. A little is allot, meaning even a little play can quickly become a big problem. Keep things snug and tight. Check often. As seen on this forum, lot so guys can run a long time without seemingly little issues, and some have lots of issues even with low hours/miles. Lots of variables.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/lets-talk-primary-clutch-rollers.154807/page-4#post-1452239

post #47 for pics

This is the best way to chek for play on the pin, i am doing it so many time that my nails are tattooed ;):D

IMG_6515.JPG

Chek for bushing slip,they ALWAYS slip clockwise looking at the clutch. If the right washer on the roller show sing of worn, your primary weight bushing are MORE than shut to.

Putting small roller 14.5mm is a BIG mistake from YAMAHA at first, it should come original whit minimum 15mm roller.my opinion
I am testing 15mm larger roller, they fit whit old yamaha washer... ~800/1000km so far!
My sled is close to 15 oookm and had eaten almost a dozen of roller bushing, many different material,many brand.... all roller OD are almost new.

Last edited:
Then maybe this should be up to the dealer to educate the owner what to keep an eye on! This site is a wealth of knowledge however not everyone uses these forums. I've had bone stock sidewinders come in with whipped rollers, it is definitely a manufacturing issue as already stated!

Back