• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another primary clutch failure

Then maybe this should be up to the dealer to educate the owner what to keep an eye on! This site is a wealth of knowledge however not everyone uses these forums. I've had bone stock sidewinders come in with whipped rollers, it is definitely a manufacturing issue as already stated!
It wouldn't have even mattered in this case. As per the original comment, 'the rollers had a bit of play'.
A bit? Look at the pics. They're f***ed. And they still drove it.
I also question if they were even oem rollers and bushings.
I'm getting more than a little fed up when people fill their clutch full of non-oem parts, explode them, come here to vent and claim Yamaha builds a garbage clutch.

It wouldn't have even mattered in this case. As per the original comment, 'the rollers had a bit of play'.
A bit? Look at the pics. They're f***ed. And they still drove it.
I also question if they were even oem rollers and bushings.
I'm getting more than a little fed up when people fill their clutch full of non-oem parts, explode them, come here to vent and claim Yamaha builds a garbage clutch.
Understood , imagine how frustrating it is to see a bone stock clutch with under 1000 miles need rollers. Or better yet a sled with 300 miles with flat spotted secondary rollers to have the dealer say there's an updated roller but Yamaha is not covering it...
Or better yet, "on my 3rd belt (1200miles), yamaha says it's how i'm riding it, there's no known problems"

Harmonics/resonance with clutches? 1nc 2000 asked if anyone knows any results from guys that have run the revised Hurricane stub shaft. Harmonics/resonance/ultrasonics is exactly what this stub shaft is targeting. Because it's different weight than stock one, it obviously changes engine crankshaft harmonics. Not saying I know anything all you smarter guys know but I've owned sleds over the years that I've changed clutches(no other changes) on only to have the new (supposedly better/faster/stronger) clutch wear out in record time, OR it caused other problems with the drive train such as, believe it or not, cracked exhaust pipes, cracked welds in cradle, failed stators, broken head bolts, cracked heads, etc, etc. Whether we like it or not, harmonics are a fact. Changing rotating mass does affect it. So, I'm only asking in my head if there is an inherent harmonics issue with the Winder clutch/crank? It sure would be great to hear if anyone ran that Hurricane stub shaft and what, if anything happened!

Then maybe this should be up to the dealer to educate the owner what to keep an eye on! This site is a wealth of knowledge however not everyone uses these forums. I've had bone stock sidewinders come in with whipped rollers, it is definitely a manufacturing issue as already stated!

Thank you SanDale! We have been mentioning this all along.

At Thunder Products Clutching, we have seen many, upon many of stock sidewinders coming in with problems (rollers shot, cracked spiders and cracked sheaves at the weight pocket where these are coming apart), plus even more tuned winders with clutches blown apart.

Understood , imagine how frustrating it is to see a bone stock clutch with under 1000 miles need rollers. Or better yet a sled with 300 miles with flat spotted secondary rollers to have the dealer say there's an updated roller but Yamaha is not covering it...
Or better yet, "on my 3rd belt (1200miles), yamaha says it's how i'm riding it, there's no known problems"

Again, SanDale is right on the money!

Our customers clutch had 1,400 miles on, rollers were toast and the clutch sheave was cracked. Secondary rollers were replaced with Yamaha secondary rollers on his sled at a few hundred miles, but then again with our secondary rollers. His rollers are sitting on my desk. Yamaha says no warranty on the guys clutch which is all stock.....or any clutch.

To this day, Yamaha still says there isn't a problem with the primary clutch. A lot of the dealers either don't tell Yamaha or Yamaha is telling them to be hush, hush about it. I'm believing option #2. Make sure your dealer is aware of it and make sure it's noted.

We have a few previous style primary Yamaha clutches on order for some of our customers. Just a note, they are on back order till middle of this month.

C89D438D-5623-467D-899B-8B2A4051221D.jpeg
I'm going to change my rollers with my belt no matter what.
Every 1000 miles............PERIOD
Change your rollers and belt every 1000miles with tunes , and buy duralon bushings , and a quick daily check of rollers play not bad to have 290 hp sleds

This is the best way to chek for play on the pin, i am doing it so many time that my nails are tattooed ;):D

View attachment 147973
Chek for bushing slip,they ALWAYS slip clockwise looking at the clutch. If the right washer on the roller show sing of worn, your primary weight bushing are MORE than shut to.

Putting small roller 14.5mm is a BIG mistake from YAMAHA at first, it should come original whit minimum 15mm roller.my opinion
I am testing 15mm larger roller, they fit whit old yamaha washer... ~800/1000km so far!
My sled is close to 15 oookm and had eaten almost a dozen of roller bushing, many different material,many brand.... all roller OD are almost new.

The bigger rollers last much much longer. I have 5000kms so far on a set of 15.5mm rollers I got off a viper clutch, they were used to begin with, not sure how many kms before I used them. They still look good, running minimum hurricane 270r.

Are these bushings what the aftermarket guys are using?
'Cuz they wear also, just not as quick.
They look the same ... lol
Yes they wear but it’s a lot better . I haven’t had one slide over in the roller yet , which speeds up the wear when the roller jams.

Why would you think I don't understand this?
Sounds like we need to remove the rollers and weights every 500-1000 miles and inspect the bushing

Back