• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex vs sdi fuel miledge

Some people just want to compare mileage to make sure everything is OK.
It's not like yamaha just comes out and tells us what to expect.

Last tank of gas i got 12.2 mpg U.S.

That was 7 passes down a 1/2 mile strip at WFO and the rest was hard trail riding.. I figured not to bad

If the trails are flat and strait i usually get 14-15mpg

My recent experiences:

My Attak, 14 to 15 US mpg

Buddies 600 SDI, 16 to 17 US mpg

Other buddies Indy 500 XCSP, 11 to 12 US mpg All 3 riding hard.

Separate trip:
3 rented Legend V-800's: 28 to 30 US mpg for the two ladies, and about 25 US mpg for the one guy who beat it harder. Most were riding much easier than I usually do, nice low-speed touring trip. This mpg is not a misprint. They almost always took exactly 1/2 the amount of gas my Attak did. We never had to look for gas stations except for my sled. Just start with full tank in the morning, and they were good to go as long as you wanted them to go.

Side note, those V-800's were unique little sleds that were faster than I expected, and stunningly capable off trail (notably more capable than my Attak for low speed boondocking), though very overpriced for what they are and had very poor suspensions. Motor sounded like you were riding a 25 horse garden tractor through the woods. And with the amazing low-end grunt and sub- 2,000 RPM engagement, I couldn't think of a better sled to have around to pull my Attak out of the woods after I sunk it. That motor and clutch setup in their Tundra utility sled has to be just about as perfect as you could get for such use. I'd never consider buying one, but they did surprise me. The renting dealer said they informally drag-raced them with a Phazer and they were almost dead even until they hit about 70 mph speedo, then the Yami had a bit more top-end than the V-800.

Rode 370 miles yesterday. Most trail riding some lake at about 70 mph. Used 24.67 Can gal or 27.75 US gal. Works out to 14.99 mpg(CAN) or 13.33mpg(US). A few WOT runs and the trails were on the soft side. Been so cold up here the moisture was taken out of the snow and it's turned to sugar. Have 1700 miles on her.

Mighty said:
snowsdog said:
What bugs me is my 140hp RX1 got 18 to 20 and my FI 150hp Apex gets 13.

Whats up with that?
Where did you ever see a 140 HP RX-1? Seems to me they were dynoing in the low to mid 130's :ORC

If I recall correctly, Yamaha is the one that said they were 140hp, I just took that for what it was as I dont have access to a dyno. ;)!

And no I don't really care what mileage it gets, just sometimes wonder why such a difference.

I spend about $500 to $600 a weekend in total to ride, and I go every chance I get.

Mikecam said:
Rode 370 miles yesterday. Most trail riding some lake at about 70 mph. Used 24.67 Can gal or 27.75 US gal. Works out to 14.99 mpg(CAN) or 13.33mpg(US). A few WOT runs and the trails were on the soft side. Been so cold up here the moisture was taken out of the snow and it's turned to sugar. Have 1700 miles on her.

My '06 RTX is doing about the same on average. Wife's RX1 always does a couple bucks better at the pump but I ride harder and weigh 100lbs more.

I hear you on the "sugary snow", sure is hard to get any footing! Netley is packed tight but they are breaking it up this week. It's hard to find a good place to test some clutching!

Riding in Canada, you can ride long distances without fuel stations. At least the best trails tend to be the ones that others are afraid to ride on due to the distances between stops. For us, riding 300 - 400 mile (not km) days without seeing another snowmobile is awesome. If your sled doesn't have the range, you aren't invited. Once you get out there, some of the best play areas are there & you had better watch how much you play before heading back or to the next motel. Have had a few times where we had to run 50 miles back, because one of us is stranded, out of fuel.

I'd like to see my Attak get the mileage my Warrior did, & my SXR700 for that matter. I tuned my SXR to get 19.2mpg for the same reason & with a 12 gallon tank, that was awesome. The reason I jumped from the old Vmax 600 twins was the poor range, NOT MONEY!

I agree & see both people's sides of the story. Yes, if you can't afford the gas, don't buy a snowmobile. Good advice.

Also, I agree, why throw money away, good point.

Everyone on here can pat themselves on the back, because everyone can't afford to snowmobile, & if you are here, you have likely done something right.

I don't like to tell non snowmobilers how much I spend snowmobiling, they don't understand.

Back to mileage, I don't like walking snowmobile trails or worring about making it to the next fuel stop.

My snowmobile buddies are quite competiitve too, so we are always trying to "out do" the other in mileage, among other things.

I'm looking at remapping the fuel curve in my Attak to increase mileage, I am also looking at the best balance between clutching performance & mileage. I'll likely spend more money on mods & tweaking than I can be saved by making the adjustments for fuel.

Is it pointless, not to me, I enjoy making my machines run faster, smoother, quicker, better, further.

Although not related to fuel mileage directly, the whole thing of money was thrown in, so I think this should be said.

Being the owner of an Attak, I have never been so happy to not have to put in oil before every ride, never realized how expensive it got back with my two stroke, and it was just a hassle im happy to no longer deal with. No more carrying oil for me on trips!!

snowsdog said:
What bugs me is my 140hp RX1 got 18 to 20 and my FI 150hp Apex gets 13.
I guess i just drive way to hard,but i have alot of fun doing it,heck my old 03 rx1 even when it was all stock,which was like 2 days it may have got 15 mpg if i rode easy,but generally i got between 10-14 and my apexs and my attak,heck even my new 07 rtx that is geared gets around 11-13 best,but like dirkdigger said as long as i can get from point a to point b and that point is at least 80-100 miles than i am ok with that,now maybe some day they will build a better fuel milage sled with or hopefully 160 hp lol ya right..
Whats up with that?

dirkdiggler said:
The other savings people don't factor in is the Premium fuel the two stroke require. the apex runs all day on 87. But you better fill the Mach Z or any other 2 stroke with premium and that's usual 20 cents more per gallon. That's 2 dollars more every time you fill up.

since when does a 2 stroke NEED premium fuel. The DOO 600's and 800's run on both regular and premium, the 1000 maybe different. They have knock sensors, for just that reason. Yes the premium may be better, but it is definitely not REQUIRED.

so $2 more per fillup, and lets say 10 fillups on a 600SDI (which gets approx 200miles to a tank) is and extra $20, and oil running at approx 40:1 costs $8/litre for synthetic so that 1 litre for each tank which works out to $80. So for 2000 miles it just cost me and extra $100 :-o :-o

I rode Canada last year with my 04 prox800. My pal had a Nytro. Between him being almost half the cost at each fill up and never having to look for oil, it made me think he was onto something. Then when I lost a $12 quart of synthetic in my saddle bag and soiled all my clothes for the rest of the trip, I became convinced. I bought the Apex this year.
Sure the Apex doesnt get GREAT mileage, but I do think its pertty good for the company it keeps. I really dont ride with many 600s except that Nytro. Everytime I fill up, almost every 800 uses more fuel than I do. Some considerably more! Only the 06 and 07 800 Doos are usually real close, maybe even use a little less sometimes, but I havent had 1 beat me yet, and that includes a couple with light mods.
I think all things being even, the decent mileage, performance, CONVENIENCE of not needing/buying/carrying oil and the lack of smell my Apex gives me, makes me very happy with this sled!

I ride with an '05 600X, and an '07 'Gade 1000. Both of those sleds' owners manuals say that premium is required! I know that my Apex can run in anything, but I noticed a big difference with 93, and I did get better mileage. I only know thins because I rode the same route once with 89, and then again with 93. The second trip I used about 1 1/4 gallon less (US), and I even rode the second "lap" harder because I knew the trail a little better.
I don't really keep track of the money I spend on this "sickness", but it is nice to be the only 4 stroke in the group, and have the smallest fuel bill. My sled isn't stock anyway, which doesn't help the mileage thing, but I still use less than my buddies.
Nate

I have always been amazed at what some people claim they get for gas milage. My 03 RX-1 gets 12 to 14 miles a gal. and my 06 apex er gets about 14 as well . I dont use any oil with the 06 but the 03 uses almost as much oil as my 02 viper does. And yes if you can afford the sled you can afford the gas , but Yamaha's claims of better gas milage with the 4 stroke is minimal at best.

first off compare the 600 sdi to a vector same speed etc. and yes up north here running wide open for 80 plus miles lakes running in a foot of snow the 600 runs out of fuel and the apex pulls it in to fuel depot it all depends on conditions riding styles etc. just had fuel and enjoy

Back