• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Frozen Roll Over Valve Solution

You mean ROV delete? Very popular but would like to keep it of I can.

Stupid question, does the ROV work when the sled is off? Lets say you want to tip it on its side to work on the suspension trail side

Yes by default it is closed. It is mechanical. Spring keeps plunger closed. It takes a few lbs of pressure in tank to overcome spring and vent the pressure.

Why not just drain the air box to the ground? Put a small oil soaked filter on the end of the tube if necessary.

I think Travis has the right idea...return excess oil to the engine where it belongs...why send oil to where the air goes into the engine is beyond me. Travis's ROV bypass under certain conditions keeps the oil all in a closed system instead of loosing lube oil to atmosphere or burnt in the combustion area, do I have this right?
After having the engine casement covered in oil and a real mess to clean up on my 2020 stx-gt I was saying @%#*&^%..bottom line in I need a fix and Yamaha screwed up on this whole thing and as someone else said on this topic...it's a fire hazard and a warranty issue that Yamaha should own which they will not do. Thanks to people like Travis and others to come up with a solution...thanks all for the info, very helpful. Again, I will add I'm a retired Merchant Mariner and could never be confused as being a mechanic or inventor. Joe

Oh makes sense. Then for sure I want to keep it.
If your set on keeping the ROV just remove the hose from the air box and add a barb fitting and a piece of hose to extend it to under the engine and add the BOP ROV bypass kit like you already have and you will be set to go.
Hardware store has rubber plugs which will fit perfectly to plug the hole left in the air box, I found mine at Lowe’s.

I talked to somebody and they gutted the ROV and left everything hooked up. would help with blowing out the oil tank gasket, however would not help if you rolled the sled, and would not help with the condensation/oil that gets deposited in the airbox. Might be a good solution for those of us that have tunes and CAI already on the sleds tho.

Has anyone had any issues with the bypass kit? I have had a report from customer that they have a smokey vapor discharging from the exhaust after the sled idles and gets up to temperature.

I recently serviced a sled and installed many items with one of them being the bypass kit. Upon start up the other week, it too did the same thing.

My 21 srx did the same thing on my last trip last year and I just assumed it ingested some oil due to having oil saturated in the air filter.

I had tested this bypass for 2 season on my father's sidewinder with no issues, so I'm a bit puzzled.

I'm going to halt sales on this kit and I ask that no one runs the kit until I can dig into this more.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any issues with the bypass kit? I have had a report from customer that they have a smokey vapor discharging from the exhaust after the sled idles and gets up to temperature.

I recently serviced a sled and installed many items with one of them being the bypass kit. Upon start up the other week, it too did the same thing.

My 21 srx did the same thing on my last trip last year and I just assumed it ingested some oil due to having oil saturated in the air filter.

I had tested this bypass for 2 season on my father's sidewinder with no issues, so I'm a bit puzzled.

I'm going to halt sales on this kit and I ask that no one runs the kit until I can dig into this more.
Is it what you'd see when running an engine in a colder environment and generating a cloud of water vapor? Now that the temperatures are starting to drop in the morning, my pickup truck is starting to do that. Granted, the only time I've seen any vehicle with an up-to-temperature engine produce a cloud of water vapor is when it's REALLY cold out.

I'm having a hard time seeing a connection between a brand new bypass line, under normal operating conditions or when first installed, cause the motor or exhaust to produce a cloud of oily smoke. A couple of years ago, I was servicing my Sidewinder and noticed a small pool of oil (approximately 1 or 2 "capfuls") in the intake tube between the air filter and turbocharger inlet. I'm curious if this is what is going on and these sleds are sucking that oil into the intake and it's getting burnt off.

Is it what you'd see when running an engine in a colder environment and generating a cloud of water vapor? Now that the temperatures are starting to drop in the morning, my pickup truck is starting to do that. Granted, the only time I've seen any vehicle with an up-to-temperature engine produce a cloud of water vapor is when it's REALLY cold out.

I'm having a hard time seeing a connection between a brand new bypass line, under normal operating conditions or when first installed, cause the motor or exhaust to produce a cloud of oily smoke. A couple of years ago, I was servicing my Sidewinder and noticed a small pool of oil (approximately 1 or 2 "capfuls") in the intake tube between the air filter and turbocharger inlet. I'm curious if this is what is going on and these sleds are sucking that oil into the intake and it's getting burnt off.
seems crazy to me too, why burn oil in the air intake, wouldn't it carbon everything up? I'm not an engineer but seems off to me. Joe

seems crazy to me too, why burn oil in the air intake, wouldn't it carbon everything up? I'm not an engineer but seems off to me. Joe
No Yamaha 4-stroke snowmobile motor uses direct injection - they all use port fuel injection by having an injector located in the intake tract BEFORE the intake valve. Gasoline is an extremely effective solvent that will "clean" the intake valve as fuel is sprayed over it and flows into the cylinder. Carbon build-up (like you'd see on a GM, Ford, Volkswagen, or other motor that uses direct injection) is not something you have to worry about and this is a reason why some automotive manufacturers are installing both systems in newer vehicles (among other benefits - reduced emissions and increased horsepower among them). With that being said, the old "Italian Tune Up" is a legitimate thing so long as you get an internal combustion engine hot enough (as surprising as it is). I'll notice my manifold, turbo, and exhaust system glowing a brilliant orange after LONG pulls on the Northern Maine "highways" - one has to think this means the engine is getting everything hot enough to burn off any carbon that has built up.

The issue experienced by Travis and others using his rollover valve bypass appears to be a different problem altogether. Oil is being somehow introduced into the cylinder and burnt as part of the combustion process - how this is happening stumps me.

Last edited:

Alright, this may get a little wild, but hear me out. Automotive engines use a PCV valve to ventilate the crankcase and valve cover back into the intake as part of the emissions control system. Yamaha has to do the same thing (in a way) and ventilates these post-combustion gases collected from the crankcase, valve cover, and oil sump bank into the snowmobile intake (where the rollover valve (ROV) is acting as a PCV valve and preventing the sump from dumping all of the oil into the intake).

Yes, there are some that would just love for Yamaha to not even include the ROV and dump this gas/pressure out of the sled, but cannot do so because of emissions compliance. Is it possible that the Barn of Parts ROV bypass is negatively impacting the gas flow within the motor, causing a oil/gasoline/whatever vapor to be somehow "pushed' into the combustion chamber and ignited during the "power" stroke?

Run with that as you please - I'm trying to throw out whatever I can to help fix the problem (and I like a challenge).

If someone has the ROV left as stock and installs the BOP bypass it will bypass the stock ROV and releases a constant flow of air Into the valve cover.

Question is what happens when you do pump air into the valve cover even though it’s only a few psi ?

Back