• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

Yes, just press on until housing is against tunnel. Install the 3 bolts and watch as you tighten to see if tunnel starts to flex outward indicating need to press bearing a little further on. Mine has had pressed on bearings for about 3 years now all is well.

And with the Yamaha bearing locked with the dribeshaft saver it saved my driveshaft.
The bad news the bearing spun in the brakecaliper bearing housing.
:die

I installed mine with the skid removed from sled. I find this helps with lining thing up and squaring the brake on the shaft/tunnel. The sleeve/bearing goes on and bottoms out so to speak on shaft. It can only go on so far. I had to use a dead hammer and tapped lightly on brake that was split with bearing/sleeve installed. I then put the three tunnel bolts in and spun the shaft by hand some. . I then tightened the set screws. I ran the sled two days ago on a stand and the brake does not wobble and all looks good.. Time to ride soon and see if the fix is going to work on a completely toast shaft. Not sure if that helps any inc2000. I was slightly skeptical but after install I feel its a solid design. My plan is to split the brake and service the bearing while still on shaft/inside brake half. This is a slip fit/not press fit.. I see yours is a different setup..

Driveshaft needs a new groove cut into it and inboard snap ring moved to new groove for a stop point. This would take the guess work out of it.

Going to go back to the regular bearing for my situation. Put this BOP bearing on shelf in case the shaft gets chewed up down the road.

UPDATE.. 500 miles on a 2021 Cat 8000 VERY BADLY worn shaft/ ** new shaft saver product .. No issues on any of the rides.. Will dig around some and check it after it thaws in heated garage. Small sample size but all good so far. Will report back with any findings along the way.

Sounds good. I just had a report from one customer that said the set screws came loose after a 60 mile ride despite being loctited. I have never locited set screws on the Japan model speedo bearings so bit surprised by this. Those running the new bearing…check your set screws after some run time

And with the Yamaha bearing locked with the dribeshaft saver it saved my driveshaft.
The bad news the bearing spun in the brakecaliper bearing housing.
:die
HUh, is the bearing seized/bad ?

That’s a new one, u sure your caliper housing isn’t cracked ?

No cracks in caliper. That caliper is on its 5th bearing so I believe its life is done. Even with heat and freezing bearing for removal and install.

Sounds good. I just had a report from one customer that said the set screws came loose after a 60 mile ride despite being loctited. I have never locited set screws on the Japan model speedo bearings so bit surprised by this. Those running the new bearing…check your set screws after some run time
All 3 set screws in place and snug as a bug. I used BLUE thread locker on them. Everything looks just fine after 500 on this kitty. ;)!

I have been running the wedge driveshaft saver for 8000km now, my driveshaft had some previous wear before installing the saver but I was able to still get everything tight enough to hopefully eliminate it spinning more or so I had hoped. I was just in the process of greasing the bearings and I noticed on the plastic guard below the brake disc there is a grove worn into the plastic, not sure how this could of happened as there is a space between the disc and the plastic guard, has anyone seen this before? I also noticed the shaft must of been spinning a bit recently as on the face of the disc and the bearing they are both brown maybe caused by heat? I have been installing my driveshaft saver to 55 foot pounds, I may have to go a little tighter on it, I had also been prick punching the shaft to try and get a tighter fit. Its odd because when you look at the inner race of the bearing where it mates on the shaft it doesn't seem to show any sign of spinning. I just know the last time I greased the bearing I didn't have the brown ring on the outside of the inner race or on the flange of the brake disc.

1674573663466.png

1674573688647.png

1674573769799.png

1674573718863.png

1674573730755.png

1674573751521.png

Do you have a sled lift?
This can happen if sled lift is sitting on the plastic gaurd and chaincase and track is run on lift.
Some lifts have a extra piece for more clearance on the front lifting pad.

The inner race is of a harder material then the shaft so you wont see the wear on the bearing inner race. The worn out groove on the rotor is telling us the bearing is definitely spinning on the shaft. The shaft is showing wear also. @ 55 pounds your still spinning. IMO the wedge is a waste of time on YOUR sled as the shaft is to far gone.. The "new" product would be a better option IMO.

Last edited:

Back