• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

I installed the latest BOP lower driveshaft repair at the start of the season with no issues.My shaft was the original with 7400 miles ,and saved me a bunch of time and labor by putting this on my lower shaft.Travis has a great repair here.This will get me to my next sled after 1/2 more seasons
Good to hear..

I bought this awhile back and am hoping to install it this weekend before putting the sled away.

Maybe it's obvious once
Just an update on some findings as the season has been progressing. Have now had 4 cases in which set screws came out of the collar. 3 of the cases the collar actually worked itself out of the bearing. I've posted before about checking to make sure your screws have not come loose, but just wanted to stress this again and encourage the use of loctite from here on out for extra measure.

I bought this back in January and am hoping to install it this weekend before putting the sled away.

Maybe it's obvious once you get working on it - but is putting the set screws in the last step once you put everything back together? Without looking at it I'm thinking you need to put everything together to make sure it's in the right place before putting the loctite on the threads and tightening it.

not alot of miles for me this year, being in southern ont, but did get just shy 500 mi on in michigan, without disassembling anything and just doing a visual inspection on a stand with a light, everything looks as good as when i put this bearing in... bearing stayin put in caliper housing, all set screws tight , nuthin movin nuthin loose

Attachments

• 4695DCCF-0F10-4931-8779-85C6CFCFD86C.png
    4695DCCF-0F10-4931-8779-85C6CFCFD86C.png
    683.5 KB · Views: 65
Just did an inspection on this bearing on my own sled after 1 year of riding. Absolutely NO movement on the shaft.
I will be installing another one on my friends brand new Winder this fall before he rides it.

Just finished removing factory bearing from the housing. the bearing seemed fine. I slipped it back onto the shaft and was able to wobble it back & forth. Would this indicate that the shaft is worn and bearing spun?

Last edited:
Just finished removing factory bearing from the housing. the bearing seemed fine. I slipped it back onto the shaft and was able to wobble it back & forth. Would this indicate that the shaft is worn and bearing spun?
Sure sounds like it. If you have a micrometer, measure where the bearing sits and use a telescope gauge or bore mic for the ID of the bearing and you'll know for sure. Mine is still snug after 4000+ miles but I prick punch the shaft anyway. BOP bearing is waiting in the wings if it ever shows signs of spinning on the shaft. But wobble? Not good.

Yep. It's spun.
I have 9000 miles on the Barn of Parts shaft expanding original driveshaft saver.
Installed on new shaft & bearings. Torque to 40ftlbs. No spinning. Nice and tight.
Actually was a little difficult removing old & installing new bearing due to close tolerances. Nice!
If yours can wobble, it's surely spun.

Loose fit condition no good,you made the right choice in the B.O.P. upgrade

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have the BOP bearing in the freezer ready to install today. This page is a great source of information...

I'm going to be going through my sled in the next couple days (behind schedule this year but there's little snow anyway). If time permits I'm going to try to install the BOP bearing. It looks fairly straight forward to install but I'm a bit nervous about getting it all together right.

I started my upgrades after finding a list of common sidewinder problems. Thank God I did. The upper gear was bad, the front slider axle was bad, and now the driveshaft worn in from the bearing spinning..
All this on a 2019 Yamaha SRXLE with less than 2000 miles on it. Not exactly quick fixes

I started my upgrades after finding a list of common sidewinder problems. Thank God I did. The upper gear was bad, the front slider axle was bad, and now the driveshaft worn in from the bearing spinning..
All this on a 2019 Yamaha SRXLE with less than 2000 miles on it. Not exactly quick fixes

All those areas are pretty much annual 'checks'. These sleds are capable of logging some good miles, but all these areas need to be checked constantly.

My friend let his upper gear go for 2 seasons, things were so sloppy that the reverse chain appears to have jumped a tooth and got on top of the gear putting stress on it - bending the shaft the reverse gear mounts to. How it didnt crack the housing (that holds the shaft) - I do not know.

Sorry - I am off topic

MS

I installed my Barn of Parts driveshaft bearing this past weekend, install wasn't terrible. The biggest pain was bleeding the brakes since I had to remove the caliper to press the old bearing out. Seems like a great product, previously I was running the wedge and it seemed to work for me but I previously did have the bearing spin on the shaft so I figured I would install this bearing and take the wedge to install on my 23 SRX.

B.O.P. will be your favorite site for better than o.e.m. Upgrades

Back