• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

For those who have installed this - what is involved? I have a 2 stroke cat but assume it's similar. It sounds like the driveshaft saver is very easy but do you need to take more part to install this newer solution?

For those who have installed this - what is involved? I have a 2 stroke cat but assume it's similar. It sounds like the driveshaft saver is very easy but do you need to take more part to install this newer solution?
Yes,approximately 2-3 hrs for the installation.Once track tension is released,left footwell removed. Remove 3 chassis bolts ,to remove housing .Removal of disc retaining clip.The entire disc brake housing/caliper should slide off end off shaft.Press out original bearing,and press back in new updated bearing and collar assy. For re-assy ,you will have to either split caliper or remove the belly pan to have enough room to slide the housing with the bearing assy over end of shaft.Remember to remove the o.e.m.ring on shaft before installation.once housing is re-installed with collar install 3 chassis bolts to housing.Then use a small drill to give each Allen screw something to bite on with loctite.Reassemble brake caliper(with clip) and add fluid.Cut and remove original debris shield,not needed .Below is updated bearing and collar assembly pressed into housing before installation on shaft

Attachments

• 4B08D2D1-42A5-46AA-9E81-0EF929AA14F8.jpeg
    4B08D2D1-42A5-46AA-9E81-0EF929AA14F8.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Yes,approximately 2-3 hrs for the installation.Once track tension is released,left footwell removed.3 chassis bolts ,to housing remove.Removal of disc retaining clip.The entire disc brake housing/caliper should slide off end off shaft.Press out original bearing,and press back in new updated bearing and collar assy. For re-assy ,you will have to either split caliper or remove the belly pan to have enough room to slide the housing with the bearing assy over end of shaft.Remember to remove the o.e.m.ring on shaft before installation.once housing is re-installed with collar install 3 chassis bolts to housing.Then use a small drill to give each Allen screw something to bite on with loctite.Reassemble brake caliper(with clip) and add fluid.Cut and remove original debris shield,not needed
Nice quick instruction overview. Thanks!
Shall probably need that FIX next season, and it sounds like what Yamacat should have done many years ago on this Procross chassis ??

Yes,approximately 2-3 hrs for the installation.Once track tension is released,left footwell removed. Remove 3 chassis bolts ,to remove housing .Removal of disc retaining clip.The entire disc brake housing/caliper should slide off end off shaft.Press out original bearing,and press back in new updated bearing and collar assy. For re-assy ,you will have to either split caliper or remove the belly pan to have enough room to slide the housing with the bearing assy over end of shaft.Remember to remove the o.e.m.ring on shaft before installation.once housing is re-installed with collar install 3 chassis bolts to housing.Then use a small drill to give each Allen screw something to bite on with loctite.Reassemble brake caliper(with clip) and add fluid.Cut and remove original debris shield,not needed .Below is updated bearing and collar assembly pressed into housing before installation on shaft
Thanks. Doesn't seem too bad. My sled is in storage and I won't be able to figure out if the shaft is worn before I get up to work on it (so I'll need parts before that). So I'm leaning towards this as opposed to the cheaper and easier to install saver, just because I'm assuming I do have wear.

THe issue I see with a this design is you now have a smaller bearing due to the collar.

Thanks. Doesn't seem too bad. My sled is in storage and I won't be able to figure out if the shaft is worn before I get up to work on it (so I'll need parts before that). So I'm leaning towards this as opposed to the cheaper and easier to install saver, just because I'm assuming I do have wear.
yes, check the shaft first for wear as BOP has pictures of what degrees of wear look like. My Sidewinder has 4750 miles on it and no shaft wear. I guess I'm just lucky so far. Anyone else out there without shaft wear? just wondering what percentage of bad shafts are out there. Joe

I didn't realize the price was about the same for the two solutions (considering the "repair" item has the bearing with it). Seems like the only downside is a bit more work for the install.

THe issue I see with a this design is you now have a smaller bearing due to the collar.
The bearing (F.A.G.) is the same size as the original.The inner race has been machined to accept the flange of the collar,which is pressed in.the picture on the left,below shows the collar before installation into the I.D.of the upgraded bearing.The right pic is the collar pressed into the inner race and how you receive it before install into the disc brake housing

Attachments

• DC53C42C-203A-44B6-B986-BD8086EE1C95.jpeg
    DC53C42C-203A-44B6-B986-BD8086EE1C95.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 6EA9E90C-D72C-4FFB-AE1D-BA530B643473.jpeg
    6EA9E90C-D72C-4FFB-AE1D-BA530B643473.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 84
Maybe,, time will tell. We won’t really know till it’s tested for a season .

If its a quality bearing and serviced(repack) yearly should be no issue at all
Better than the O.E.M. It is a German manufactured bearing F.A.G. My 2018 Crosstour will be running this bearing repair kit starting this season also.

Back