• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check out the new Yamaha RMAX4 & RMAX2 1000!!!

Went and checked em out today in person, my dealer had a Base and a XTR demo. Good lookin buggy. Dropped my YXZ off with them for them to try and sell it. Shouldn't be a problem, there is absolutely no dealer inventory right now with the high sales this summer due to Covid. I've never seen my dealer so empty. The only things outside were the 2 Rmax demos and my YXZ on the trailer

YXZ smokes CVT clutched machines of the same horsepower, more efficient. Heavier with a CVT and less horsepower..... doubt it would be much of a race.
Efficiency in drivetrain doesn’t always equate to getting it to the ground. The YXZ shifting is fun as heck but rather clunky and can get old after a time. Pretty sure you are right as for it beating the Wolverine but that’s not the whole story for many trail riders.

I like it. I have been wanting a sporty rig with a dump box for around my 3 acres.
I'll be a buyer next year. Just ordered a 2021 Sidewinder. :Rockon:
Me too! Maybe I am getting old but the box and comfort with respectable power is really appealing to me. Was really looking at the General but reliability of it scared me away. They just made all our town roads here legal and sure would be nice to do trail signing and such driving right from house.

Pretty much everything ive been asking for from Yamaha, except the price tago_O, I would have liked to see a bit longer wheel base, bigger bed and more swept back seating position but haven't seen it in person yet, I too considered the general but walked away for the same reasons, once the dust settles and there's plenty of units in stock with rebates, then I'll pick one up.

They really hit the nail on the head with this, I wish it was 4" lower and would be perfect for me.

Hhmmm, how about a single cylinder version of this engine to replace the dated and underpowered 421cc used in the current 450 ATV model. 54HP

Hhmmm, how about a single cylinder version of this engine to replace the dated and underpowered 421cc used in the current 450 ATV model. 54HP

The yamaha YFZ450r 450 is 449cc displacement with 5 titanium valves per cylinder. Yea it makes around 40 horsepower stock at the wheels. So around 50 on an engine dyno. Take in the fact it has less displacement and there’s you four more ponies.

The Rmax has a smaller bore diameter and 4 valves per cylinder, it’s not gonna make more power than current yamaha 450 if you were to cut off a cylinder and reduce its displacement to 449. In fact I would bet if you cut the current 999 in half leaving it a 500cc it would still be less powerful than the current 450 yamaha motor.

Your talking about the Kodiak, that’s a tractor motor bro.

Last edited:
The yamaha YFZ450r 450 is 449cc displacement with 5 titanium valves per cylinder. Yea it makes around 40 horsepower stock at the wheels. So around 50 on an engine dyno. Take in the fact it has less displacement and there’s you four more ponies.

The Rmax has a smaller bore diameter and 4 valves per cylinder, it’s not gonna make more power than current yamaha 450 if you were to cut off a cylinder and reduce its displacement to 449. In fact I would bet if you cut the current 999 in half leaving it a 500cc it would still be less powerful than the current 450 yamaha motor.

Your talking about the Kodiak, that’s a tractor motor bro.
Just going by the claims that this new engine is supposedly 109hp, and yes I realize its crankshaft hp. This new engine is said to redline at 8500.

Five valves are actually inferior to four, that's why they've been all but completely abandoned.

The current Kodiak engine is a bit of a dog by todays standards.

YXZ will run circles around the RMaxx but should not be compared to each other, YXZ is a pure sport sxs and the Wolverine is a sport utility sxs. It was made to go head to head with the Polaris General. The Wolverine is a nice unit and it looks like Yamaha is starting to pay attention to what people are looking for in a sxs. I thought about getting rid of my YXZ and buying the Blue LE but talked my self out of it. My YXZ rip's and a blast to drive and I just don't think the fun factor will be there in the RMaxx. I'm not into rock climbing or splashing through the mud like some are and I think the new Wolverine will be good for that. I'm not sure how the whole hp thing comes into play with cvt vs a manual transmission but my Z will run with and beat most any sxs out there as long as they don't have boost, completely different ball game there.

Five valves are actually inferior to four, that's why they've been all but completely abandoned.

That’s not true, a five valve will make the same or more top end power but lacks the smooth torque curve MotoGP riders want.
They have Awsome high rpm capabilities because of lightweight valves, less stresss on valve train components. Of course an extra valve for every cylinder will cost more to manufacture and more moving parts, which is much of the reason it has been phased out in mass production.......except for Yamaha, they still use 5 valves in YFZ450R’s

Ya, I can agree with that CM, except I don't think they will make any more top power or we would see more in use still. Yamaha was known to be a bit of a dog in the one liter bike category as far as outright power goes. Still are but not to the same extent.
I guess my point is that the (421) 450 is long overdue for a bump in power , especially more top speed, and half of this engine would be well suited for the job.

Well I put my #*$&@ groove in a rmax 2 xtr the other day, beautiful well built machine, interior is very nice quality, the sound of the motor gave me a chubby even at idle, but interior space is only a tad bigger than x2, I'm 6'3" and #260, I fit in it ok but wish it had a more laid back seating position and some room to stretch out your left foot for the all day ride's.

Why not the Blue LE it comes with everything you need plus the on the fly shock adjustment. If I was gonna go for it that's the one I would get.

Why not the Blue LE it comes with everything you need plus the on the fly shock adjustment. If I was gonna go for it that's the one I would get.
Guy's are having enough problems with those shocks on the sleds in the few months of winter that we get, I'm not big on stuff going back to the dealer for warranty work all the time

Back