• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check under your fuse box...

34pontiac

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
Apex
Was messing around under the hood
Bumped fuse box and seen a little smoke come from it ?
Took box off the mount and turned it over to find this.
The whole wire loom is rubbing on the mounting plate for the fuse box.
Glad I found it now and not 100 miles into the woods

Attachments

• 20190208_183650.jpg
    20190208_183650.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,280
  • Screenshot_20190208-184446_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190208-184446_Gallery.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 791
  • Screenshot_20190208-184012_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190208-184012_Gallery.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:

I had the exact same problem last year. Reverse coded and was not working. Blown fuse. Looked under the fuse box and the wire rubbed on that steel plate. Put a insulation protector on the plate and repaired the wire.

I had the exact same problem last year. Reverse coded and was not working. Blown fuse. Looked under the fuse box and the wire rubbed on that steel plate. Put a insulation protector on the plate and repaired the wire.
Checked mine yesterday...honestly the wires are so tie wired tight they can't touch the plate, even pushing down on the whole fuse box. I put some fuzz velcro under them on the plate anyway (pic is pre-fuzz). Thanks to the Cat employee that secured mine!lol! Should get a merit award.
2019-02-10 21.26.47.jpg

Last edited:
Checked mine yesterday...honestly the wires are so tie wired tight they can't touch the plate, even pushing down on the whole fuse box. I put some fuzz velcro under them on the plate anyway (pic is pre-fuzz). Thanks to the Cat employee that secured mine!lol! Should get a merit award.View attachment 146196
Interesting.. Mine didn't have a ziptie there.
Lucky you..
Quality on these sleds is crap.
Must be hiring millennials !

Checked mine yesterday. No rubbing of the wires but I see how it could happen over time. I added a piece of rubber sheet over the plate beneath the wires for peace of mind. We should start a thread which lists all of the items to check and/or upgrade on these sleds. Certainly are a lot of issues for such an expensive sled.

Jim

Had the same exact thing happen to my Winder.. Fixed it the same way and been fine ever since..

Same issue here. Put a layer of high voltage splice tape on steel plate. Heck, even a few layers of duct tape on plate should eliminate wearing. Nice catch!_20190211_155335.JPG

As long as we're on fuse box discussion, I found one of my fuses in my belly pan when I changed oil. Turns out that when I removed my fuse/ relay cover on one of those frozen relay days, the spare fuses are installed downward in foam fell out. I used a piece of electrical tape to contain the spare fuses in the foam so vibration isn't an issue.

Check mine too... no rubbing! But put some duct tape anyway to prevent any future rubbing!

Could the fuse box be relocated like on the Vipers? Would this help with frozen relays and worn wiring? Just a thought.

Had this happen to my 17 btx le this weekend in ishpeming lucky on the trail wire was wore right through kept popping fuses. Good thing mr sled was along with me when it happened and we were right next to Meyer Yamaha in which they taped up the bad wire. To prevent any future issues Meyer Yamaha put some soft velcro on the metal part under the fuse box. All work was done by Meyer Yamaha for free of charge. Defenty need to check out my other sidewinder and do Meyer yamaha fix with soft velcro idea to prevent any issues.

Back