• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold starting

Hope it fixes you up Grizz. Glad you caught it before it took you out. Scary stuff. What were the signs?

It started with palpitation a year ago then about 5 weeks ago I was having extended periods of irregular heart rhythm. Ended up in an atrial fibrillation flutter with pauses between heart beats up to 10 secs at a time. It's a little scary watching the heart monitor drop to zero and flat line. The good thing is that my heart is health and I didn't have a heart attack. Just some screwed up wiring.

Sorry we got of topic here.

I'm working on a voltage booster that I was hoping to start testing in the next few weeks but it now looks like it might take a little longer due to some health issues. I just got out of the Hospital after having some heart issues and needing an emergency surgery to implant a pacemaker. My overall health is very good for a 54 year old but I had out of all things an electrical issue with my heart.....go figure. I'll still be working on this start problem in a couple weeks but I won't be making any trips on a sled for at least six weeks.
You get yourself taken care of , all of us have learned a thing or two as we read you posts. Really glad your OK.

Yamaha!!! Are you out there, please come up with a proper flash for these sleds. My 2015 SRViper XTX with the original program will not start when its below -25C, even with a booster pack on it!!
How many complaints do you need to fix this??

Yamaha!!! Are you out there, please come up with a proper flash for these sleds. My 2015 SRViper XTX with the original program will not start when its below -25C, even with a booster pack on it!!
How many complaints do you need to fix this??

This is not a common issue. You need to bring your sled to a different dealer and get it fixed. If my sled didn't start in -25 I would never get a chance to ride it.

I struggled with this for 4 seasons. Enough. My first and last Yamaha. I gave Yamaha the ol' college try. I'm back to 2 stroke.

This is not a common issue. You need to bring your sled to a different dealer and get it fixed. If my sled didn't start in -25 I would never get a chance to ride it.
If you store in in your garage you don't have this problem, leave it out for 2 days at a lodge or your cabin and then try to start it. My son has a 2014, and my brother has a 2016 and all 3 have the same problem if left out side for a day or if we trailer them at -25 to -30 for a few hours they have a hard time to start or don't start at all. You are right overall its not common, most guys don't ride in these conditions or even live where it gets that cold. Where I live its 100% of the SRVipers have this problem. the Cat electronics are not as good as my old Nytro electronics for starting. The Nytro never had these problems.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Nytro and a 2014 Viper RTX so I have the first year for both of these sleds. They have the same motors but the Nytro has Yamaha electronics and the Viper has Cat electronics. I don't have issues with my Nytro cold starting or backfiring but I certainly do with my Viper. I am convinced that it all leads back to the crappy electronics that Artic Cat used on the Vipers.

I have a 2008 Nytro and a 2014 Viper RTX so I have the first year for both of these sleds. They have the same motors but the Nytro has Yamaha electronics and the Viper has Cat electronics. I don't have issues with my Nytro cold starting or backfiring but I certainly do with my Viper. I am convinced that it all leads back to the crappy electronics that Artic Cat used on the Vipers.
And now 4+ years later, why have not Yamaha & Arctic gotten together to resolve this?

I bet this is what is in the heat shrink on Janne339's voltage regulator. https://www.pololu.com/product/2577 It's meant to deliver 12v to the output even when the battery voltage drops during cranking. If you decide to use one of these, notice that it will have a small drain (1-5mA) on the battery even when everything is off (since it's tied to unswitched 12v.) It would be worth utilizing the ENABLE pin to drop the drain to less than 0.25 mA.

Looks like a decent option GR8BBQ. That unit could make sure the ecm has the correct voltage during start up....

Pololu 12V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S18V20F12

Back