• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold starting

That video helps explain it, but how big is this popolu 12V device? I know there was another thread on TY about capacitors, but if the product is too large or complicated to wire into the system it’s not going to help us. There are lots of wonderful products out there but if we can’t make them work on our sleds..... I’m going to google this thing now. It would be awesome if this thing could work for us. GR8BBQ, can you post the link you talked about earlier?
Sure, I posted a link back a few entries: https://www.pololu.com/product/2577 also for sale on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pololu-Step-Up-Step-Down-Regulator-S18V20F12/dp/B01M9CDXVZ

I am just going to carry a 4 cell LiPo when it's really cold. It's 15 volts at room temp. They are cheap and give full power on demand. Clipped onto the frozen sled battery it will be about 13.5 volts. It's only required first thing in the morning a couple days a year for me and I have one already for my RC cars.

Attachments

• 20180510_204346.jpg
    20180510_204346.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 235
I have 5 of the Pololu regulators and installed one in my 15 Viper toward the end of the season. These are small devices and inexpensive but installation requires opening the wire harness to either splice the wires or install disconnect plugs as I did. I'm not sure this is the answer yet........ more testing to do next season.
IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5947.JPG

I am not sure if this is the same issue my buddy had with his 15 Viper DX. His sled would not start in the trailer on a very cold am in the UP. It was cranking slow and would not fire at all. We added jump box and was cranking faster still no start. We listened for the fuel pump, nothing. Connected a DMM and keyed up and while cranking no voltage to the pump connector under the seat. We then turned on his portable heater and pointed it to the fuse box, after a few minutes his sled fired right up. We have since relocated his fuse box to the belt guard so he can pull his FP relay when it happens again, we will see what happens next season.

Unfortunately that occurrence is very common. Happened to my old 15 dx multiple times in Quebec cold.
Those relays are only rated to 0 degrees.No fix from Yamaha.
Just relocate the fuse panel and warm up relay with your hands.
Total bullshit!!!!! But at least you’ll get the sled started in a pinch.

Unfortunately that occurrence is very common. Happened to my old 15 dx multiple times in Quebec cold.
Those relays are only rated to 0 degrees.No fix from Yamaha.
Just relocate the fuse panel and warm up relay with your hands.
Total bullshit!!!!! But at least you’ll get the sled started in a pinch.

I know... only responded to that particular post.
I know all to well about the low voltage issues.Had over 8k of insanity with that sled in Quebec cold.
Yamaha #*$&@ THE BED with the electronics and could give a #*$&@ less.
But we can have a rocket lake racer!!!
Lol.

The problem we are talking about here is not relay related whatsoever. My pump always cycles. It's a low voltage problem.

Not related? There have been plenty of relay failures in colder temperatures due to freeze up. Just listening for the fuel pump is not enough verification to eliminate a relay problem. These sleds have two relays that need to be in working order for the engine to run. The fuel pump relay verification is easy because you can here the pump run but the ISC relay also needs to be working to power the ECU, coils and injectors. Like Cannondale27 stated earlier, there are several things going on here.

Not related? There have been plenty of relay failures in colder temperatures due to freeze up. Just listening for the fuel pump is not enough verification to eliminate a relay problem. These sleds have two relays that need to be in working order for the engine to run. The fuel pump relay verification is easy because you can here the pump run but the ISC relay also needs to be working to power the ECU, coils and injectors. Like Cannondale27 stated earlier, there are several things going on here.
Well we have a 14 a 15 and a buddy with a 16 and no relay problems. Unlike the old Nytros which always had relay problems. Ours if they don't start you give them more voltage and they start right up. When it's 30 below or lower I only have 9 volts when cranking that's the problem.

I have 5 of the Pololu regulators and installed one in my 15 Viper toward the end of the season. These are small devices and inexpensive but installation requires opening the wire harness to either splice the wires or install disconnect plugs as I did. I'm not sure this is the answer yet........ more testing to do next season.View attachment 140382 View attachment 140383

Reviving an old thread, I didn't see any results posted from testing the voltage regulator, did it make a difference?

Reviving an old thread, I didn't see any results posted from testing the voltage regulator, did it make a difference?

I didn't see any change in the way it started so I took it out and abandoned that idea.

It would be interesting to see if anything helps with extreme temperature startups.

Temperature?
How long it sat since last ran?
ECU flash?
Stock spark plugs?
Type of engine oil?
Fuel type, non ethanol?
Stock battery or aftermarket?
Booster used?

My 17 BTX is stock everything. Purchased new last year and now has 1000 miles on it. I use Yamaha 0/40 oil, still has the stock plugs and battery, not sure about ecu flash and run regular pump gas. I have been having cold start issues since day one. -20c it a crap shoot if it will start and any lower than that I really start having my doubts it it will start. Yesterday it was -22c and I didn’t use a booster pack and it almost never went. I have been testing cold starts this winter with a booster pack. It was -33c this morning with an air intake temp and coolant temp of -33 and volts at 11.4. Hooked the booster pack up and it fire right up in about 5-10 seconds of cranking. This is the third time this winter I have tested this at -27c, -30c and -33c and it has started every time. I always keep holding the key on for a few seconds once it’s started just to make sure it stays going because the second try after it stalls always seems to be a much harder start. Not sure about others but with my sled it is clearly a voltage issue.

My 17 BTX is stock everything. Purchased new last year and now has 1000 miles on it. I use Yamaha 0/40 oil, still has the stock plugs and battery, not sure about ecu flash and run regular pump gas. I have been having cold start issues since day one. -20c it a crap shoot if it will start and any lower than that I really start having my doubts it it will start. Yesterday it was -22c and I didn’t use a booster pack and it almost never went. I have been testing cold starts this winter with a booster pack. It was -33c this morning with an air intake temp and coolant temp of -33 and volts at 11.4. Hooked the booster pack up and it fire right up in about 5-10 seconds of cranking. This is the third time this winter I have tested this at -27c, -30c and -33c and it has started every time. I always keep holding the key on for a few seconds once it’s started just to make sure it stays going because the second try after it stalls always seems to be a much harder start. Not sure about others but with my sled it is clearly a voltage issue.
I think between the voltage drop from the long battery cables between starter and battery in back under the seat and marginal battery's in the first place is the culprit.
What is the voltage at cranking speed? Could be dropping way to low.

Back